Xbox One

• Thread starter RustInPeace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Munk

Reaction score
From here:
News: Microsoft confirms 'pre-owned fee' for Xbox One - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

"Update 3:Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison has suggested that customers who activate a pre-owned retail disc for the Xbox One will need to pay the same price as the original buyer to access the content. When asked by Kotaku whether the secondhand owner will be "paying the same price we [the original buyer] paid, or less" Harrison responded "let's assume it's a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price."

So is that to say, 6 months after release of a game, the price drops and the second hand user gets to pay the release price?!
I know they said 'assume it's a new game', but I don't bother with games until the price comes down anyway. Second hand is not new. It may be new to me, but that's not necessarily new.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
nope

nooope

NOPE

NOOOOOPE

I'm not buying things I already own.

I'll probably end up caving and getting one but seriously EFF THIS.

M$ should stop attempting to appeal to be a family all-in-one entertainment device (when the whole thing is woefully undersupported anywhere outside the US anyway) and focus on

GODDAMN VIDEOGAMES

god damnit

Ummm... it's not like the competition isn't likely to be doing the same exact thing (I was just speculating anyway). You know, you can still use your old consoles. They don't magically stop working when a new one comes out.

I'm not saying I like this strategy, but there are technical reasons that backwards compatibility is more difficult to do than the average person thinks.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Also, you don't have to be online to use the thing. Many of the features are online-only, but it's not a requirement to use the system. (Edit: Once per day? Ok, that's stupid... but it's not like PC gamers haven't been dealing with worse bullshit for some time. Diablo 3 anyone? That article saying that it requires a once per day uplink didn't seem very official to me though)

Paying a used game fee like that is lame. I have a feeling that Sony is going to do the same shit though. If they don't, they would definitely sell more units. However, I feel like this is going to become the norm. Things have already been moving in that direction with the "online-pass" BS.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
MS tends to miss on some of their IPs pretty hard-I'm thinking of Crackdown, Brute Force, Blinx and Too Human...and also the kiddie kinect shovelware.

My college buddies and I played crackdown 1 and 2 all the time. Sometimes I forget that I'm one of the only people alive that liked those games :lol:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Also noticed the GDDR3 vs PS4's GDDR5.

Disappointing. However, will this make a significant difference? Probably not. The PS3 was pretty far ahead in the tech department and the games didn't look significantly better (some looked worse because utilizing the hardware was more challenging).

I guess I'd get both if I could justify it, but I can't... so, since I'm already invested in the M$ universe and exclusives. That's what I'll probably end up with, for better or worse.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't want a camera pointed at me while I'm sitting in my room?

I really don't trust the world enough to have this damn camera, with its emotion and life sign monitoring algorithms, watching me every moment that I am inside my own living room. 1984 much? I won't buy this if kinect is required.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Also, you don't have to be online to use the thing. Many of the features are online-only, but it's not a requirement to use the system. (Edit: Once per day? Ok, that's stupid... but it's not like PC gamers haven't been dealing with worse bullshit for some time. Diablo 3 anyone? That article saying that it requires a once per day uplink didn't seem very official to me though)

Paying a used game fee like that is lame. I have a feeling that Sony is going to do the same shit though. If they don't, they would definitely sell more units. However, I feel like this is going to become the norm. Things have already been moving in that direction with the "online-pass" BS.

to be fair, D3 has some good reasons for being online only given the real money trading stuff going on.

Not sure how I feel about the "paying for used as new" thing, except I imagine they'd like to basically move to their own version of Steam.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't want a camera pointed at me while I'm sitting in my room?

I really don't trust the world enough to have this damn camera, with its emotion and life sign monitoring algorithms, watching me every moment that I am inside my own living room. 1984 much? I won't buy this if kinect is required.

Kinect has to be connected for the Xbox One to function at all.
Xbox One Will Not Function Without Kinect Attached - IGN

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Ummm... it's not like the competition isn't likely to be doing the same exact thing (I was just speculating anyway). You know, you can still use your old consoles. They don't magically stop working when a new one comes out.

I'm not saying I like this strategy, but there are technical reasons that backwards compatibility is more difficult to do than the average person thinks.

I don't understand why I should have to continue having an obsolete machine taking up space beneath my TV because my new console can't do what the PS2 did in 2001. Will saying "Xbox switch to 360" allow me to seamlessly switch to my OTHER GAMES CONSOLE to play games that my main console WON'T LET ME PLAY? Because THAT would be a useful implementation of those voice commands.

What I'm saying is that the gaming industry (MS/Sony etc. specifically) is transitioning towards flashy tacky flavour-of-the-month BS as opposed to good old-fashioned bang-for-your buck gaming and the people that enjoy THAT variety of "immersive entertainment experience". I don't want to watch TV on my Xbox. Hell, I never even use the music player on the damn thing. I just want to play the (surprisingly few) games that I really enjoy.

And if I'm 17 and saying this then I'm willing to bet a significant number of my elders are going to be feeling the same way.

tl;dr, I know that all of the companies are doing this, it doesn't stop me wanting to gather all of their CEOs in one room and give them the finger :2c:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
tl;dr, I know that all of the companies are doing this, it doesn't stop me wanting to gather all of their CEOs in one room and give them the finger :2c:

Further, the fact that everyone is doing it doesn't mean you have to do it with EVERYTHING. We already have cellphone... excuse me SMARTphone apps, tablets and all kinds of other shit to do the same shit they're trying to pack into a gaming system whilst robbing us of most of the features we previously enjoyed about gaming systems in the first place which is kinda lame.

I was okay with the whole "everything on the cloud" stuff, but the more I hear about this system, the less happy I am about it. I wonder if the price of functioning 360s will go up... :lol:

Handbanana

Reaction score
Sounds pretty much like a pc. Why not just cut out the middle man and make your own? For all of the amazing xbox exclusives? lawl

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I don't understand why I should have to continue having an obsolete machine taking up space beneath my TV because my new console can't do what the PS2 did in 2001. Will saying "Xbox switch to 360" allow me to seamlessly switch to my OTHER GAMES CONSOLE to play games that my main console WON'T LET ME PLAY? Because THAT would be a useful implementation of those voice commands.

What I'm saying is that the gaming industry (MS/Sony etc. specifically) is transitioning towards flashy tacky flavour-of-the-month BS as opposed to good old-fashioned bang-for-your buck gaming and the people that enjoy THAT variety of "immersive entertainment experience". I don't want to watch TV on my Xbox. Hell, I never even use the music player on the damn thing. I just want to play the (surprisingly few) games that I really enjoy.

And if I'm 17 and saying this then I'm willing to bet a significant number of my elders are going to be feeling the same way.

If you want backwards compatibility you have to either include the old hardware in the box (like the PS2 did with PS1 hardware, which drives up the $$) or you have to have a dedicated team work on emulating the old hardware via software. Anyone who does console emulation on PCs can tell you how reliable that is.

I'm just saying that expecting backwards compatibility is unrealistic at this point.

I'm totally with all of you in wishing we could have it, but technically it isn't feasible or cost-effective.

flint757

Reaction score
Yeah on a PC I can play games from almost 20 years ago still and I didn't have to pay again to do it. :lol:

Not referring to emulation either, just PC games.

')