Xbox One

• Thread starter RustInPeace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
....... Maybe it's time to quit video games for a bit and focus on playing guitar and gettin' the ladies... :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Yeah on a PC I can play games from almost 20 years ago still and I didn't have to pay again to do it. :lol:

Not referring to emulation either, just PC games.

PCs are a much more open platform though. Despite the similarities in hardware/software, consoles are pretty much all proprietary stuff. Plus consoles access their hardware differently than PCs do, the same commands don't always work on different consoles. PC hardware abstraction layers are much more consistent. There are some really old PC games that won't work on current hardware or OSs though.

I would just switch to PC gaming entirely, but I like relaxing on the couch in front of my 46in. TV which is not in the same room as my computer :lol:

Now that you say that about old PC games... I think I'm going to fire up Baldur's Gate 2 :hbang:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I warn you now, PC gaming is a never ending money pit of hardware upgrade addiction....I bought a console to ween of of PC :lol:

Yeah, that's why I've never been able to justify going that route.

I remember back in high school, I built myself a mid-priced gaming PC... by the time I graduated it was worthless and gave it to my sister for her to do homework on :lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
See... I have many computers... Most of which will plug into my TVs in some way... And I know there are controllers available... I could basically have almost the same look and feel with a better overall experience it seems... *ponders*

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
See... I have many computers... Most of which will plug into my TVs in some way... And I know there are controllers available... I could basically have almost the same look and feel with a better overall experience it seems... *ponders*

I built a linux HTPC (yes, I am that big of a nerd :lol:) to emulate old SNES, N64, PS1, Sega, etc... hardware on and watch movies/TV shows. It's pretty cool, but if you want to cram serious gaming hardware into a box that's going to look like an A/V component, you might have issues.

Definitely a cool thing to do for sure though!

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
I'm seriously laughing at a lot of you. lol Do you realize PSN will charge for backwards compatablility on the PS4 as well? Same shit. Neither is better than the other. But with EA and NFL partnering exclusively with Xbox and the fact the Xbox One will be 2 times as fast in Ram and almost twice the computing power I'm interested. And from some rumors I've heard from friends in the gaming community it will be faster than the PS4. Although I laughed at the name too (they watched way to much Lord of the Rings) I get the point of the name. It's one point that lets you run everything. Makes sense. It has everything the PS4 is going to have PLUS more and they still haven't told us everything about either console. Also I don't know how many people noticed but everything they showed gamewise today was actual gameplay footage. Not a put together trailer. Either way it doesn't matter. I'll still get the new Xbox because I like how the controller feels. Playstation controllers... I hate them. I always have. Just my :2c: on it, but a lot of exclusive games I play are on Xbox and will never be on a Playstation and I honestly feel it's no loss. :wavey:

flint757

Reaction score
PCs are a much more open platform though. Despite the similarities in hardware/software, consoles are pretty much all proprietary stuff. Plus consoles access their hardware differently than PCs do, the same commands don't always work on different consoles. PC hardware abstraction layers are much more consistent. There are some really old PC games that won't work on current hardware or OSs though.

I would just switch to PC gaming entirely, but I like relaxing on the couch in front of my 46in. TV which is not in the same room as my computer :lol:

Now that you say that about old PC games... I think I'm going to fire up Baldur's Gate 2 :hbang:

Very true. That being said maybe console makers should consider going with a more open platform instead of making excuses. As for games that don't work, I have come across a few and it usually just takes DOSBox or something like that to get it working. The only game I had to re-buy was because the pirate protection software, not the game, no longer worked and I couldn't install it.

My setup is awesome though, I'm running SLI surround and I have my big screen on the wall above my setup as well.

I love Baldur's Gate! :hbang:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm seriously laughing at a lot of you. lol Do you realize PSN will charge for backwards compatablility on the PS4 as well? Same shit. Neither is better than the other. But with EA and NFL partnering exclusively with Xbox and the fact the Xbox One will be 2 times as fast in Ram and almost twice the computing power I'm interested. And from some rumors I've heard from friends in the gaming community it will be faster than the PS4. Although I laughed at the name too (they watched way to much Lord of the Rings) I get the point of the name. It's one point that lets you run everything. Makes sense. It has everything the PS4 is going to have PLUS more and they still haven't told us everything about either console. Also I don't know how many people noticed but everything they showed gamewise today was actual gameplay footage. Not a put together trailer. Either way it doesn't matter. I'll still get the new Xbox because I like how the controller feels. Playstation controllers... I hate them. I always have. Just my :2c: on it, but a lot of exclusive games I play are on Xbox and will never be on a Playstation and I honestly feel it's no loss. :wavey:

Being a Nintendo fanboy, I couldn't give two ....s about the console's processing power and how fast the console it. One of my favorite 7th-gen games was Skyward Sword, and those graphics were comparable to Gamecube graphics. :lol:

I'll keep my games that don't require installations (sans PC, but hey, it's been like that since day one), don't need an internet connection every 24 hours and, used games that don't require fees.. :fawk:

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Very true. That being said maybe console makers should consider going with a more open platform instead of making excuses. As for games that don't work, I have come across a few and it usually just takes DOSBox or something like that to get it working. The only game I had to re-buy was because the pirate protection software, not the game, no longer worked and I couldn't install it.

My setup is awesome though, I'm running SLI surround and I have my big screen on the wall above my setup as well.

I love Baldur's Gate! :hbang:

Oh it's awesome and I miss the PC gaming....I just don't miss the money flying out of my bank account. :lol:

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Being a Nintendo fanboy, I couldn't give two ....s about the console's processing power and how fast the console it. One of my favorite 7th-gen games was Skyward Sword, and those graphics were comparable to Gamecube graphics. :lol:

I'll keep my games that don't require installations (sans PC, but hey, it's been like that since day one), don't need an internet connection every 24 hours and, used games that don't require fees.. :fawk:

That's ok, I'll just buy new games which I do anyway. And I still won't let my friends borrow my shit because it always comes back scratched so it solves a problem for me right there. lol And I always install my games to my HD anyway... cuts down on load times and stuff. :fawk: Don't get me wrong though it can go either way for people (or the other way for you. lol) Neither console is in any terms better than the other. It all boils down to which one you like better. :metal: Just like these damn guitars we all talk about on here. ;)

flint757

Reaction score
I wonder how that will work for redbox and rental companies like gamefly or blockbuster?

[EDIT]

Probably rental releases like the DVD's having less features and saying rental on top for redbox now that I think about it. :lol:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
xbox one? so is this the prequel?

kinda like star wars movies, hopefully with no jar jar binks...

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Incredibly accurate, and really how everyone's feeling!

yup.

Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty TV TV TV TV TV Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Call of Duty Sports Sport Sports Call of Duty

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
All complaints about the nature of the device aside (and they are numerous), one thing I LOOVE is the visual aesthetic of the new box. No console has ever looked so at-home in an A/V rack.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Wow, so the Xbox one is a windows-phone for your TV, that has some awesome features like electronic TV-program, which every 30,- cable-receiver has as standard for years. Awesome Microsoft, thanks, wow!

')