Xbox One

• Thread starter RustInPeace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
I really don't get all this defending the used game market that's going on here. I for one am tired of spending $60 on a damn game only to turn around and get offered $10 or even $5 for it AND THEN see it sitting on Gamestops shelf for $30-40. This is the kind of shit we as gamers support? Bullshit. That's the same as buying a brand new guitar, selling it for pennies, and watching the guy you sold it to make 5 times the profit when he immediately re-sells it. (Guitar Center) How many of you are cool with doing that? To hell with the used game market because all they do is feed off gamers. You are basically saying I don't care if the person who traded it in gets screwed as long as I get it cheaper... then you are going to sell it and get screwed too and then YOU are gonna be pissed because you got screwed on your trade in? :scratch:

As for the other crap, my Kinect is always hooked up. My connection is always on. Do you unplug your router and modem EVERY night before bed? No? Guess what? You're connection is always on. The shit people are bitching about is shit they already do. Best Buy has the same kind of pre-order deals and giveaways as Gamestop. Peace out Gamestop, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

As for the argument towards Xbox being geared towards American content... I don't see a problem with that. They are an American company. Granted you non Americans have plenty to be unhappy with considering the VAT, duties and shipping stuff you deal with, but there are 2 HDMI ports. 1 in, 1 out on the XB1. You're cable box plugs into the HDMI IN and thats how you get the TV through the Xbox. I don't see a problem here, but as someone mentioned it's hard getting US shows overseas... just watch local programming. lol Some stuff you may not use, but just... don't use it. It will be the same with the PS4 as well. In my case I would love to watch a bunch of non US sporting events if I could. Of course on the other side, if PS4 were to include a bunch of Japanese exclusive sports and TV then anyone outside of Japan would be pissed also. So I see your point.

Hardware wise, I will never buy a PS4 because of one specific thing. AMD Jaguar processors. I have had terrible luck out of AMD. I used to work at a PC store and AMD is well... Crap (from my personal experience of course).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Handbanana

Reaction score
Amds not crap. Their GPUs are on par with nvidia. They're just behind in the game ATM. I've had plenty of solid amd rigs.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
If a Kinect is required to be connected to use the console at all, you can guarantee will be included.

Also, you do realize that by your statement, you shouldn't believe anything about the PS4 either right?

True. But as i will want the PS4 anyway, eventually i will end up having both. But probably not until a couple years into the Oneboxes life span

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Hardware wise, I will never buy a PS4 because of one specific thing. AMD Jaguar processors. I have had terrible luck out of AMD. I used to work at a PC store and AMD is well... Crap (from my personal experience of course).

Unless I missed something, both XB1 and PS4 are using AMD provided CPU/GPU based on the Jaguar platform.

I've built over a dozen AMD-based systems over the last two decades. As far as I know, all of them are still running (even the lowly K6). AMD's quality control is the same as Intel, their chips are made at the same foundry.

The one thing AMD does that Intel doesn't do quite so much is that they will lock cores and sell the part with a different sku if it doesn't meet up with it's original spec. Basically, a higher-end part gets sold as a lower-end part if all say, it was only stable with 3 cores active instead of 4. I actually kind of dig that as it can be a value add for the overclocker.:shred:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Am I actually the only one who doesn't want a multimedia center, with a camera that is filming me nonstop, that is online nonstop, sat on the TV, on which I also happen to watch some...uhm...."movies"? I hope Microsoft adds "move fist up and down" motion to kinect as shortcut for "SHARE TO ALL SOCIAL MEDIA". That would be a cool feature in addition.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Am I actually the only one who doesn't want a multimedia center, with a camera that is filming me nonstop, that is online nonstop, sat on the TV, on which I also happen to watch some...uhm...."movies"? I hope Microsoft adds "move fist up and down" motion to kinect as shortcut for "SHARE TO ALL SOCIAL MEDIA". That would be a cool feature in addition.

Having a read through this thread will clearly show that you are NOT the only one who doesn't want that :lol:

However guys, seriously, stop letting your fears run away with you. It's already been discussed that the box is not "always on." And it was only commented that the kinect needed to be connected, not that it would be recording.

Really no offense intended guys, but put down 1984 for awhile and let the paranoia ease a bit:yesway:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I really don't get all this defending the used game market that's going on here. I for one am tired of spending $60 on a damn game only to turn around and get offered $10 or even $5 for it AND THEN see it sitting on Gamestops shelf for $30-40. This is the kind of shit we as gamers support? Bullshit. That's the same as buying a brand new guitar, selling it for pennies, and watching the guy you sold it to make 5 times the profit when he immediately re-sells it. (Guitar Center) How many of you are cool with doing that? To hell with the used game market because all they do is feed off gamers. You are basically saying I don't care if the person who traded it in gets screwed as long as I get it cheaper... then you are going to sell it and get screwed too and then YOU are gonna be pissed because you got screwed on your trade in? :scratch:

As for the other crap, my Kinect is always hooked up. My connection is always on. Do you unplug your router and modem EVERY night before bed? No? Guess what? You're connection is always on. The shit people are bitching about is shit they already do. Best Buy has the same kind of pre-order deals and giveaways as Gamestop. Peace out Gamestop, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

As for the argument towards Xbox being geared towards American content... I don't see a problem with that. They are an American company. Granted you non Americans have plenty to be unhappy with considering the VAT, duties and shipping stuff you deal with, but there are 2 HDMI ports. 1 in, 1 out on the XB1. You're cable box plugs into the HDMI IN and thats how you get the TV through the Xbox. I don't see a problem here, but as someone mentioned it's hard getting US shows overseas... just watch local programming. lol Some stuff you may not use, but just... don't use it. It will be the same with the PS4 as well. In my case I would love to watch a bunch of non US sporting events if I could. Of course on the other side, if PS4 were to include a bunch of Japanese exclusive sports and TV then anyone outside of Japan would be pissed also. So I see your point.

Thats true... I almost always buy games new unless I've had it before and traded it already. Then I buy it used... That or I just trade games with a friend and cut out the middle man. :shrug:

I do kind of like the used game market for the fact that if I have some games I don't like too much or don't play very much anymore I can just go to the store, give them to someone and get one I do like in return... That part of the deal is the only part I even think about. :shrug:

If XBL somehow let you trade in games you buy off there I'd be all about that shit. I've downloaded a lot of games from there that ended up being garbage (I know it's my fault, but I'm a consumer and I get to bitch; I'm a programmer at work and this tends to be the attitude of any end user) and I'm kinda just stuck with it. I can delete it fromy hard drive, but the money is already spent and gone... It would also be nice if they had a demo for every game they have for sale rather than you having to go on faith with some of them but that may be a grievance to take up with the actual developers.

Then again, none of these gripes may even be on MS's radar--perhaps rightly so... I dunno their intentions.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I've been a gamer longer than I even have memory of. Some of my earliest memories are playing shit like Pitfall, Frogger, Target Games, Pacman, Atlantis, etc, on Intellivision (the Sears branded Atari). From that era, through each generation, to present, I've managed to keep up.

I think my interest is finally waning. That said, it has nothing to do with the hardware, or any of the other stuff most folks here seem to be complaining about. I'm just not finding the content to be compelling. The last game/franchise I was truly excited about was Mass Effect, and the way that turned out after EA took the reigns really left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm tired of FPS games, and I'm tired of racing games, and I'm tired of sports games, I'm tired of fighting games, and I'm tired of platformers and puzzlers. For the few of you on my XBL friends list, you may have noticed that most of my gaming time these days is focused almost exclusively on strategy titles like XCom or Civilization. Granted, there's nothing new or exciting happening in that genre, either, but it's the only one left from which I'm currently getting any enjoyment. I guess I'm just surprised that people are complaining about the tech, when the glaring problem - to me - has nothing to do with the tech, and everything to do with a complete lack of creativity on the software side of the equation.

The launch titles shown from MS and Sony are looking like this won't change any time soon. More boring continuations of well established franchises.

That said, I will probably still end up with a console from this upcoming generation. Why? Because I - unlike a lot of you, it seems - DO have interest in a single box for all my home entertainment needs. I don't *like* having to switch inputs on my television if I want to play a game (xbox) watch tv (cable) or watch a bluray (bluray player). I *like* the idea of being able to do all those things with one centralized device, and the idea of being able to control that centralized device with my voice. Plus, my internet connectivity virtually *never* stops, sans a power outage, so that angle doesn't bother me, either. Further, since the moment the 360 allowed install of disc to hard drive, that's what I've done. I've long looked forward to industry getting rid of discs/cartridges/physical copies. They load considerably faster from the HD than they do from a disc. Done and done!

Any of you doing regular gaming really should be on a good router backed by a good firewall, anyway, and therefore shouldn't be worried about the "big brother" fears Kinect tech seems to inspire. Side note to that: Those fears remind me of when I was a small child, and I had an irrational fear that behind every mirror I looked into, some unknown - probably evil - thing was watching me. :lol:

Besides: If Sony were at your birthday party, it would fart on your cake and then take back the gift it brought you on its way out the door. ;)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ Excellent points... I hadn't considered the convenience of it being a set top until now. Currently the second HDMI port on my TV is bad... So I have to go back and manually switch them to go between TV and XBOX... Buying the new XBOX would save me the cost of a new TV--maybe...

Also, I bought the latest Dead Island... Somehow it ended up getting ringed (I didn't bump the XBOX or knock it over or anything) and my friend just happened to have the game as well and let me install his disc. BAM! I can play mine again. So eliminating discs would actually make my life a bit easier as well.

The ONLY gripe I could potentially have is having to pay for shit for which I feel I've already paid. :2c:

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Unless I missed something, both XB1 and PS4 are using AMD provided CPU/GPU based on the Jaguar platform.

I've built over a dozen AMD-based systems over the last two decades. As far as I know, all of them are still running (even the lowly K6). AMD's quality control is the same as Intel, their chips are made at the same foundry.

The one thing AMD does that Intel doesn't do quite so much is that they will lock cores and sell the part with a different sku if it doesn't meet up with it's original spec. Basically, a higher-end part gets sold as a lower-end part if all say, it was only stable with 3 cores active instead of 4. I actually kind of dig that as it can be a value add for the overclocker.:shred:

From what I've read, XB will be going with custom built CPU's. My main reason for not being into AMD is when I worked at a CP store we had a lot of problems with them. It's been a few years but it really turned me off to AMD in general. And like I said it was just from a personal experience with their product. But once again, it boils down to a personal preference. lol I haven't given the company a really good look in quite a while so I may do that again, seeing as how everything I own computer wise is either Intel i7 or Core2duo powered.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Amds not crap. Their GPUs are on par with nvidia. They're just behind in the game ATM. I've had plenty of solid amd rigs.

The last time AMD CPU's where relevant was socket 939 days.....man those things used to overclock like a BEAST!!!!:hbang:

And as far as ATI is concerned....used to love their GPU's until they merged with AMD.....They promised Driver improvement and stability and it has only got worse.

Mordacain

Reaction score
And as far as ATI is concerned....used to love their GPU's until they merged with AMD.....They promised Driver improvement and stability and it has only got worse.

I've never had issues with ATI driver stability. I've got a 7850 running in my media center now and it's solid as a rock. System has been up for going on 45 days without a hickup.

Mordacain

Reaction score
From what I've read, XB will be going with custom built CPU's. My main reason for not being into AMD is when I worked at a CP store we had a lot of problems with them. It's been a few years but it really turned me off to AMD in general. And like I said it was just from a personal experience with their product. But once again, it boils down to a personal preference. lol I haven't given the company a really good look in quite a while so I may do that again, seeing as how everything I own computer wise is either Intel i7 or Core2duo powered.

Xbox One: Hardware and software specs detailed and analyzed | ExtremeTech

Out of the several dozen systems I've built, I've never had a problem with a single AMD processor. Granted, most of your problems that people bring to you in a computer store are from one of two things: cheap ass motherboard or cheap ass power supply. Sadly, most of your consumer systems have both of those in abundance and since AMD is the low budget processor of choice, is the one you would see most frequently when one of those low priced systems would fail.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I've never had issues with ATI driver stability. I've got a 7850 running in my media center now and it's solid as a rock. System has been up for going on 45 days without a hickup.

Good for you, I have never had luck with them....

Mordacain

Reaction score
Good for you, I have never had luck with them....

Well, it really doesn't matter with regards to the Xbox or Playstation since Microsoft & Sony will be writing their own driver set.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, I've just seen people complaining about the ATI drivers for years, never citing a specific example that wasn't just a general configuration problem on their system and so have never understood what it was they were bitching about.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Damn. It would appear the article I had read claiming it to be a custom piece from Intel has disappeared. It does in fact look like everyone is now saying it is indeed made by AMD. But the fact it has 8 times the graphics power of the 360 looks good on paper, but how much of that will be for gaming vs. snap and the other graphics functions. Hmm...

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty sweet. It takes away a little of the consumer power, but also gives you the consumer quite a lot of power. You can't have your cake AND eat it people, you have to make a choice.

Cutting edge entertainment doesn't come cheap, and why should it?

Mordacain

Reaction score
Damn. It would appear the article I had read claiming it to be a custom piece from Intel has disappeared. It does in fact look like everyone is now saying it is indeed made by AMD. But the fact it has 8 times the graphics power of the 360 looks good on paper, but how much of that will be for gaming vs. snap and the other graphics functions. Hmm...

They should be able to devote all of it to gaming performance. Anything not being run currently wouldn't consume any of the CPU/GPU resources. Even if it's suspended, it would be held in ram in a suspended state until it gets flushed when the active program requests more memory.

With a game console, I seriously doubt that anything other than the basic user interface (the one you get on current systems when pressing the home or xbox button) is even held in ram, let alone left running as a process.

I mean, I could be wrong since this is just speculation, but I seriously doubt Microsoft would deviate too far from the excellent memory management system they have in Windows 7/8.

Sony...don't really know or have any thoughts on it since x86-64 hardware is rather new territory for them in terms of crafting an OS.

')