Xbox One

• Thread starter RustInPeace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Repner

Reaction score
I still have hangups with the Kinect. I want a version of the console that doesn't have voice commands or to camera to watch my every move. If they can make that change as well, then I'll consider buying one down the road...
I could imagine if there was an XBone LAN party. Really amusing if a poorly thought out conversation caused every console in the room to turn off at the worst moment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyB724

Reaction score
edit: super ninja'd but I'll leave the quote for other lazy people like myself.

boom.
Your Feedback Matters

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

:yesway:

flint757

Reaction score
I hope no one has annoying siblings if they buy this. :lol: When I was little I'd torture the shit out of my family members. I could see a little sister or brother or even an older one just walking into the room and saying 'XBOX Off'.

[EDIT]

Also, it kind of sucks that some of the more cool features will no longer work because of them back peddling. The good outweighs the bad though. Still not buying it. :lol:

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I figured they might cave, but I thought they would wait a month and let the heat die down first. I figured they'd wing themselves slowly into the decision little by little and as innocuously as possible. Doing it this way, if in fact true, makes it look more like a D'oh moment which if they were smarter they'd want to avoid IMO.

:agreed: I still think it's better they came to their senses sooner rather than later. There's still plenty of time to repair their image. At least I don't have to feel bad for picking one up when Halo 5 releases.

If they really wanted to make in-roads in making amends, they could drop the price of Microsoft games to $49.99 :lol:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
....ing god dammit. Seriously, banding together with some friends so you can share your games library is WAY BETTER THAN DISC SALES.

and this axes disc free play, which also axes some REALLY COOL STUFF.

Repner

Reaction score
You will like what we tell you to like. You will like what we tell you to like. You will like what we tell you to f***ing like. Still not buying it?

:idea:

Oh, of course we were listening to you the entire time! You know your feedback matters to us. *awkward embarrassed laugh*. :erk:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
You will like what we tell you to like. You will like what we tell you to like. You will like what we tell you to f***ing like. Still not buying it?

:idea:

Oh, of course we were listening to you the entire time! You know your feedback matters to us. *awkward embarrassed laugh*. :erk:

Honestly I'm actually surprised they backpedaled, given that there was actually some legitimate decision making going on in the design - though it was, unfortunately, presented and marketed incredibly poorly.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Microsoft are the Internet's bitch. Eventually the Internet will win every argument. This is a good day for modern history.

Mordacain

Reaction score
....ing god dammit. Seriously, banding together with some friends so you can share your games library is WAY BETTER THAN DISC SALES.

Yea, I miss that aspect as well, it did sound pretty cool.

What would be really keen is if you could have a choice:idea:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score

Yeah, but then you have really sloppy stuff like... you're playing a game that you went in on with a friend. Then he decides he's taking his console offline, turns off the heartbeat, and you get ejected and lose access to the game because it's on his account.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Yeah, but then you have really sloppy stuff like... you're playing a game that you went in on with a friend. Then he decides he's taking his console offline, turns off the heartbeat, and you get ejected and lose access to the game because it's on his account.

Hmmm, fair point, hadn't really thought about that. Honestly, did they clarify how things would work to that granularity or are we just extrapolating based on they described it would work?

flint757

Reaction score

Agreed, some stuff got the axe that was cool, but the trade off wasn't worth it. It was too constricted. For it to work it would have needed more flexibility. If they had went in to the game with this mentality they would have gotten away with it, but because they went all in completely backpedaling is the only PR move that would allow many gamers to forgive them so to speak.

:agreed:

This.

Maybe, but better than losing your internet for a day or week or month and not being able to play at all. Or limited resale/use in general., etc.

Because the infrastructure/money just isn't there for everyone involved sticking with what works or taking a more flexible route are the only 2 options. Going all in neglects many of its consumer base which is why many people were upset. Options.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Hmmm, fair point, hadn't really thought about that. Honestly, did they clarify how things would work to that granularity or are we just extrapolating based on they described it would work?

Well, you need the heartbeat to verify stuff about the game sharing, and they straight said that downloaded games can't be shared, and disc shares work like now, so that new stuff is out. And if disc is required for games, you can't be playing another one while you wait for Halo 5 to find a match and then instantly swap games...

flint757

Reaction score
You may be able to if they are downloaded or at least one is downloaded (not from disk, but to begin with)

asher

So Did We
Reaction score

Except their system was actually more flexible than Steam is, especially given how ....ing buggy it is to find no internet connection, try to go offline, and then have Steam tell you it can't connect to servers.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Well, you need the heartbeat to verify stuff about the game sharing, and they straight said that downloaded games can't be shared, and disc shares work like now, so that new stuff is out. And if disc is required for games, you can't be playing another one while you wait for Halo 5 to find a match and then instantly swap games...

I suppose you could still instantly switch between games if you downloaded them from live though...

flint757

Reaction score
Except their system was actually more flexible than Steam is, especially given how ....ing buggy it is to find no internet connection, try to go offline, and then have Steam tell you it can't connect to servers.

Steam can be offline indefinitely pretty much if you wanted. I've had no issues with that whatsoever. :scratch:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Steam can be offline indefinitely pretty much if you wanted. I've had no issues with that whatsoever. :scratch:

I've had my laptop in offline mode for a few weeks. I actually got kicked OUT of it the other day because it suddenly said there was no account information on the computer.

My point was that, to get offline mode to work correctly, you have to be online, and then reboot in offline mode. If you're in online, then boot it and find no internet, it errors out trying to go offline and you can't do anything.

')