XPT707FX vs RG1527

• Thread starter G9Music
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which plays faster/smoother, RG1527 Prestige or XPT707FX Regular?

• RG1527 Prestige, notably.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • RG1527 Prestige, by a slight margin.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • XPT707FX Regular, notably.

Votes: 27 32.9%
  • XPT707FX Regular, by a slight margin.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • No difference, really.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

G9Music

Reaction score
So I'm looking at the poll and it's 31-21. However, most of the posts reflect good things about the Xiphos, and not necessarily the RG. I really need some RG Prestige supporters to chip in actual posts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sethmetal

Reaction score
I was actually torn between these two exact guitars.

RG1527-Every feature I really wanted except the pickups weren't very good and I didn't care for the Royal Blue Speedboat Sparkle Finish (The white w/maple neck doesn't even count. It looks terrible IMO)

XPT707FX-Everything I wanted except for the tremolo.

It was EXTREMELY hard. Both play very well, although I find the neck on the Xiphos to be a little better, along with it's price. I knew I would have to replace the pickups in the 1527 so thats an extra $230 or so, bumping the price up to around $1400. If I got the Xiphos though, I would have to also buy a case.

Somehow, I just got the idea to put a regular Ibanez trem on the Xiphos, and after tallying up the cost, found it was STILL cheaper (minus labor), so I ordered it instead of the 1527. I got online and found a Lo Pro Edge 7 on Craigslist and I'm planning on getting my local luthier to install it. After reading about Chris Broderick's use of locking tuners instead of a locking nut, I opted for that route to save on cost.

I'm still planning on getting the RG1527 in the future, haha, but for now I love this guitar and really couldn't be happier.

G9Music

Reaction score
I was actually torn between these two exact guitars.

RG1527-Every feature I really wanted except the pickups weren't very good and I didn't care for the Royal Blue Speedboat Sparkle Finish (The white w/maple neck doesn't even count. It looks terrible IMO)

XPT707FX-Everything I wanted except for the tremolo.

It was EXTREMELY hard. Both play very well, although I find the neck on the Xiphos to be a little better, along with it's price. I knew I would have to replace the pickups in the 1527 so thats an extra $230 or so, bumping the price up to around $1400. If I got the Xiphos though, I would have to also buy a case.

Somehow, I just got the idea to put a regular Ibanez trem on the Xiphos, and after tallying up the cost, found it was STILL cheaper (minus labor), so I ordered it instead of the 1527. I got online and found a Lo Pro Edge 7 on Craigslist and I'm planning on getting my local luthier to install it. After reading about Chris Broderick's use of locking tuners instead of a locking nut, I opted for that route to save on cost.

I'm still planning on getting the RG1527 in the future, haha, but for now I love this guitar and really couldn't be happier.
Please post pictures once the trem operation is completed. Some people here have been saying that with the string-thru construction, such an operation would be difficult.

COBHC

Belongs On 1 String
Reaction score
I figured a bigger issue being if the xiphos has the neck angle like the majority of TOM equipped guitars out there. Where as floyd style guitars the neck is mounted much more even with the body.

sethmetal

Reaction score
Please post pictures once the trem operation is completed. Some people here have been saying that with the string-thru construction, such an operation would be difficult.

Will do.

I know it will be a complicated operation, but I'm sure it can be done. Mike Nedd is an amazing luthier and I have complete confidence in his abilities. Its going to be costly, but I'm going to be very happy when the work is done.

Mohammed Suicmez himself actually has a seven-string Xiphos with a tremolo.

I've heard a lot about the 24th fret access being a problem.
I have pretty big hands myself, and the only time I've had a problem was with the tight-squeeze 6-string major sweeps (The ones that start on the 24th fret of the 6th string and end on the 24th of the 1st) and the 5-string minors.

Its pretty easily fixed by cocking your hand inward a bit with your fingers playing more parallel with the neck than perpendicular.

I might opt for sculpting a little while in the future when I have a surplus of money (HAH!) but its nothing too problematic.

COBHC

Belongs On 1 String
Reaction score
Mohammed Suicmez himself actually has a seven-string Xiphos with a tremolo.

I beleive his was built from scratch. Not just using a stock one , ripping off the TOM , routing and throwing on a trem.

sethmetal

Reaction score
Of course! haha

But it is what I wished I could have so this is the best I can do.
I'm sure his is on a level above that of regular prestige models.

COBHC

Belongs On 1 String
Reaction score
When you do get it done . Get some pictures and clips up. Like to see how it turns out.

Latest posts

')