XXX/3120 TONE differences?

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Hey guys!
First, I am away of the spec differences and similarities between the two amps. I am fully aware that a 3120 is a Triple X with EL34's.

So my Triple X took a shit on me and the repairs will cost me more than the head itself. So I'm just going to replace it!

Anyway, I'm noticing a lot of 3120's in my price range so I figured I'd ask how different the two are in tone.

One thing I noticed about the Triple X is that it had good punch but lacked in attack and harshness. Would a 3120 have a bit more of that (due to the EL34's?). I've never owned an amp with them before nor have I ever tried a 3120 so I figured I'd ask here!

So yeah, any input would be great!

Thanks guys!
-Damien

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vick1000

Reaction score
What's wrong with the XXX? Can you take it to a different tech? Unless atranformer is blown, or every cap needs replaced, it should not cost that much to fix.

The 3120 has a more Marshall'esque sound, more nid range bite, smoother mids. But lacks the low end punch of a 6L6 equipped XXX. Other than that they are identicle. The solution is JJ 6CA7 power tubes, or KT77s, E34Ls are not bad either. But for a true blend of the best of 6L6 and EL34, go with the JJ 6CA7.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Well, I'm using a Genz Benz GB412G-Flex cab, so low end shouldn't be a big problem. I can EQ it in with no problem. I just couldn't get that grind into the XXX, you know?

Also, a transformer IS blown! I can buy the part and fix it myself, but, for me, it's not worth it for an amp that I'm just not too jazzed about anyway.

Also, I'm probably going to keep stock tubes unless necessary. This is just to hold me over until I can snag a 5150III. Then I'll use the 3120 as a backup!

Krigsmjod

Reaction score
I was using a friends 3120 at band practices for a couple days and it seemed a lot more dry/tight than the XXX. A former bandmate had the XXX and that sounded to me looser. They both do have that Peavey vibe. The 3120 had tons of punch and clarity but I didn't seem to get any crushing low end going on. I was using a 6 string in D standard with EMG 81/85 so mayhaps a 7 could get you there. Also I didn't have any time whatsoever to fiddle with the tone (bassist, drummer, photographer in the room didn't want to indulge my curiosity...).

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't see how it would be hard to get plenty of low end. The 3120 has an active EQ, and it should let you dial in plenty of it.

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
I don't see how it would be hard to get plenty of low end. The 3120 has an active EQ, and it should let you dial in plenty of it.

I think that is because they use the switch on the back on "tight" mode, which cuts a lot of low end response, the loose setting is glory :shred:

vick1000

Reaction score
You can get boomy low end out of the EL34s, but the punchy defined lows are lacking. So fast palm mutes and crosspicking is not as clear with the EL34s.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I'm not too sure that clarity is what I'm after. Obviously, I crave clarity. I want everyone to hear every note I'm picking.

But I'm just a lowly old Death Metal player looking for the heaviest tone I can find! But with my own little twists and preferences!

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
It should also be noted that 3120s have a bias switch so changing from EL34s to 6L6s is as easy as flicking the bias switch to the 6L6 setting, and popping the tubes in. :yesway:

As far as how the amp sounds, I have KT77s installed in mine (uses the same bias setting as EL34s and it's liking having the best of both EL34s and 6L6s. I get a nice snarl out of it, but still enough headroom for great sounding cleans. Consider that as an option if you're stuck between which tubes to use.
I've used the both the XXX and the 3120, and I think the XXX has a harsher tone. The 3120 is more mid-rangey to my ears and easier to get a more balanced tone out of.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I honestly didn't know it was that easy to load the 3120 with KT77's... I wanna get one even more now.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Oh definitely. I bought mine off of a user here and he was kind enough to throw in brand new JJ KT77 tubes with the deal. :woohoo:
KT77s use the same bias setting as EL34s and KT66s use the same bias setting as 6L6s. So it's not too difficult to experiment with tubes. I can't say that I've used KT66s before, so I can't really testify as to how they sound. But the KT77s are like the best of both worlds. It's like mixing a marshall-y tone with a mesa sounding one. It yields a rather pleasant blend of old school and new school in terms of tone. It's not for everyone of course, but it's not a bad sound at all. :)

bhakan

Reaction score
Literally the only difference between a XXX and a 3120 is the aesthetics and the stock tubes. A lot of people preferred the XXX with EL34s and disliked the aesthetic, so Peavey re-released it as the 3120. Since they both have the 6l6-EL34 switch, if you want the 6l6 tone you can get it just by retubing it.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I played a 3120 and was THOROUGHLY impressed. For the price, I don't know that there are too many better amps out there.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
If you switch the EL34s to 6l6s there will be no tonal difference other than what you would expect between 2 amps of the same make/model.

vick1000

Reaction score
If you switch the EL34s to 6l6s there will be no tonal difference other than what you would expect between 2 amps of the same make/model.

BS. If you can't tell the difference between an amp with EL34 or 6L6, as you tweak and play on it, then you are obviously deaf.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
BS. If you can't tell the difference between an amp with EL34 or 6L6, as you tweak and play on it, then you are obviously deaf.

I'd say that the difference is subtle. Guitar pickups and cab speakers have a more pronounced effect on tone than tubes; but that's not to say that you can't get a slightly better sound out of an amp with just a tube swap. (note that the term "better" is subjective here)

There are pros and cons to using each kind of tube and it really comes down to the tone you're trying to get out of your amp. :yesway:

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Well, how about this. I like a really grindy, chunky, clear kind of gain with a medium tightness (maybe a little more on the tight side, but not djenty). And also, I like a lot of gain :lol: not Dimebag amounts of gain but fairly close!

What kind of tubes fit me? pre and power section.

bhakan

Reaction score
I think he meant if you switch the 3120 from EL34's to 6L6's and then compare it to a XXX with 6L6's it will be identical, not that the amp will sound the same with EL34's and 6L6's.

')