Yamaha effects units: Worth a damn?

• Thread starter Zepp88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody here used either the Yamaha EMP100 or the SPX-90 effects units?

They're nice and cheap, but do they have nice delays and maybe a nice chorus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlagoon

Reaction score
SPX-90 is all right, but you could get a better modern unit than it is. Nevertheless, the delay, reverb, and pitch shifters are quite nice. However, what makes me avoid it is the latency, when switching presets. It cuts off your sound for at least 750 ms.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
SPX-90 is all right, but you could get a better modern unit than it is. Nevertheless, the delay, reverb, and pitch shifters are quite nice. However, what makes me avoid it is the latency, when switching presets. It cuts off your sound for at least 750 ms.

Noted, latency when switching presets is a show stopper :noway:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Yamaha SPX-90 is a state-of-the-art reverb and digital effects unit... if you're living in 1988.

They were the shit back in the day, and there was not a studio or pro band that did not have one. But that was 20 years ago, and things have changed quite a bit since then. :)

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Bob (TDW) still uses Yamaha stuff i'm not mistaken. Magicstomp? I remember him helping me a lot when discussing multi-fx units, including some of the Yamaha stuff.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of the Stomp range, was close to getting a DG Stomp a couple of years ago when trying to get rid of my Pod 2.0.

Also, I know Holdsworth is obsessed with them too....

')