Yates not guilty by reason of Insanity

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/26/D8J3Q62O7.html

You have to be fucking kidding me.

jury found Andrea Yates not guilty by reason of insanity in the drowning deaths of her young children in the bathtub of their suburban home.

Yates will be committed to a state mental hospital, with periodic hearings before a judge to determine whether she should be released. If convicted, she would have faced life in prison.

Yates' attorneys never disputed that she drowned 6-month-old Mary, 2- year-old Luke, 3-year-old Paul, 5-year-old John and 7-year-old Noah in their Houston-area home in June 2001. But they said she suffered from severe postpartum psychosis and, in a delusional state, thought Satan was inside her and was trying to save them from hell.

This is the second trial for the 42-year-old suburban mother.

The jury had spent 11 hours Monday and Tuesday trying to determine if Yates was legally insane. Wednesday morning, they reviewed the state's definition of insanity and then asked to see a family photo and candid pictures of the five smiling youngsters. After about an hour of deliberations, they said they had reached a verdict.

In Yates' first murder trial, in 2002, the jury deliberated about four hours before finding her guilty. That conviction was overturned on appeal.

Fucking bullshit.

with periodic hearings before a judge to determine whether she should be released

She murdered 5 children, and there will be hearings to determine the above. :mad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Religion kills.:noplease:

And that's completely messed up. She deserves the maximum sentence for that.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
1_21_080304_yates_family.jpg

"Yates pleaded insanity, and according to testimony at the trial, she was overwhelmed by motherhood, considered herself a bad mother, suffered postpartum depression, had attempted suicide and had been hospitalized for depression."

Mykie

Fatal Havoc
Reaction score
Even if she is insane, she should be behind bars anyway.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Lots of women suffer from depression after childbirth, but they don't murder their children over it.

As sensitive as I usually am about issues like this, I agree...bullshit.

I wonder what her husband's perspective on this is...

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
what a bitch. yea, shes insane because she killed her 5 children and other
"sane" people don't do that. that doesn't give an excuse to not have any responsablility for this. and using religion as a scapegoat is just plain weak :nono:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... what a disgrace. She should be drowned.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
How can any judge allow this? Maybe she is insane. Who cares? She should not under any circumstances be able to leave jail/hospital/whatever after what she did.

They need to stop looking at what her mental state is, and look at what she did.

Fuck, come on...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Umm any person who kills another person in cold blood is insane. I don't understand how the hell insanity makes them safe to be reintroduced to society. Prison is actually not a punishment, it was started to keep the violently insane people like this away from people like us. :noway:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: with Stan Job

I'll offer the other side for shits and giggles...

What person IN their right mind would do this? Bitch is OBVIOUSLY insane, c'mon. Like she woke up one day, all rational, and said, "Hmmm. It's a great day to kill my kids!" :rolleyes:

She's obviously guilty, and needs to be locked away for a looooooong time. But she's also obviously nuts. :nuts:

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm all for helping her become 'sane' again. See a theoropist, help her live a normal life again. Just let that life be from behind bars, or a really high wall.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Scott said:
I'm all for helping her become 'sane' again. See a theoropist, help her live a normal life again. Just let that life be from behind bars, or a really high wall.

Agreed.

If if she can be made 100% sane and rational (just imagine it, I know it's not possible), what exactly would she do if she was released?

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I try to keep an open mind about these things, but the fact that she still lives really pisses me off.

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
I disagree with you Bostjan. Homocide is NOT a sign of insanity. In fact, many murderist have complete control over their actions, and maintain a "sane" mental state.

I do agree with everything else you have said, however, and mean no offense to anyone and their viewpoints.

She should have never been able to get off so lightly for the unforgivable act she commited.

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
Scott said:
How can any judge allow this? ...
i agree. maybe i've just seen WAY to many episodes of law & order but how do people not see this [insanity] as a ploy to run away from responsability? it's nothing but a fucking act... i've had a friend truly go insane, and it's not a pretty sight:noway: . seeing a hollow shell of what USED to be one of your very best friends is one of the saddest and most scary things i've ever encountered, and to see someone make a such a stupid, idiodic and extremly selfish choice make a mockery of him like this, just so they don't have to face the reprocussions of thier actions, makes me sick to think they can actualy use this defense and get away with it.:wallbash:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
^ So by your thinking, what rational thought processes were going on in her mind for her to murder her children?

C'mon, dude. You're totally sidestepping the issue. You're ascribing rational motives to a nutjob. A guy barges into a house, kills the family, steals their shit, yes, he's responsible. A mother kills all of her children because they had the devil in them, and you're saying she has the same mental state as the aforementioned thug?

Gimmie a break. That doesn't make sense. And I suppose all the qualified medical people who have examined her know jack shit.

BTW Dylan... :wub:

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
In response to TDW, Son of Sam used the excuse that a dog told him to kill the people. Later, he admitted to faking it in order to attempt to get a lighter sentence. (edit) I am not saying she isn't crazy, I am just saying faking insanity is a possibility.

')