Yet another amp upgrade thread (HT5R vs E530)

edlamb0306

Reaction score
Hey all, Sorry for the wall of text you're about to see...

I need a fairly low-wattage amp for bedroom practice to upgrade from my Vypyr, which I think sounds pretty poor.

I've been searching round the internet for a while now, trying to answer this. Trouble is, all the info I find seems to have a contradiction somewhere else. For every 'OMGWTF DIS AMP BE SO KEWL!' there's a perfectly logical explanation of why it's not or why one is better than the other. I thought I'd get some more opinions before I make my decision.

So, my question is this: to go along with the 1x12 I'm getting (only a Harley Benton. I don't have enough to splash out on a great cab AND amp), I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices, which are as follows:

Blackstar HT5R
ENGL E530. If I do choose this, I'd use the inbuilt power amp for home practice; and buy a power amp for any gigging etc (although that's fairly far off right now).

Also bear in mind that I'll most likely want to use it for recording at some point. It's not a necessity right now, though. If I got the HT5, I'd just buy an interface later on for recording with amp sims, no biggie.

I play mainly metal (pretty much everything unless it has 'core' at the end) but I love to play many other genres as well like rock, blues, Afro-Caribbean Jazz Fusion Power Samba (you know, the usual).

I'm sure I'll be happy with either, but I just want to get the one which suits me best.

PS: I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPARE THESE IN STORE (LULZ CAPZ). Because 1) HT5R will have to be ordered online as no reachable local stores stock it and 2) going to be tricky to get to an E530 aswell.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bevo

Reaction score
Looking at costs, the Engle is going to be more expensive new and you have to buy a power amp.

I have the HT-5 and think its great although much louder than you think.
With the cab you have your good to go.

Also think of the resale in your area, if its hard to get either and no one has them it probably means someone will buy it. With that in mind get what you like and sell it if it dosn't work for you, and it the above is right you won't lose much money.

edlamb0306

Reaction score
Looking at costs, the Engle is going to be more expensive new and you have to buy a power amp.

I have the HT-5 and think its great although much louder than you think.
With the cab you have your good to go.

Also think of the resale in your area, if its hard to get either and no one has them it probably means someone will buy it. With that in mind get what you like and sell it if it dosn't work for you, and it the above is right you won't lose much money.

Good point about resale! However, the ENGL does have a built in power-amp which should be good enough for bedroom use, which is why it interests me. Although, really, it would just be the suitability of tone which is the clincher. Would the HT5 be able to achieve a good, tight, metal sound at a reasonable volume? That's probably the main question...

4Eyes

Reaction score
engls power amp, even it's only 1,5W, is far more than enough for home use. try to find one used. it's cheap and great sounding preamp with plenty of options for the price

edlamb0306

Reaction score
After more research and videos, I've decided that I think I'll just go for the HT5. EDIT: Unless anyone has a good argument as to why I shouldn't, of course!

One more question. What's the volume difference between a 1x12 and 2x12? Would the 2x12 + HT5 be too loud for home practice compared to a 1x12?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The volume difference between a similar 1x12 and 2x12 is virtually non-existent.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
The ENGL e530 in my experience needs a boost for anything lower than standard 6 string, that said it's a killer rack preamp especially for the price.

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that! :)
I think if your going blackstar the higher wattage amps with more channels sound better than the little ones especially for high gain tones and I play in my bedroom all the time with the 60 watt stage 60 and it sounds fine. Even though the e530s 1.5 poweramp could be low enough power its not going to sound very good.

edlamb0306

Reaction score
I think if your going blackstar the higher wattage amps with more channels sound better than the little ones especially for high gain tones and I play in my bedroom all the time with the 60 watt stage 60 and it sounds fine. Even though the e530s 1.5 poweramp could be low enough power its not going to sound very good.

They're a bit out of my price range, sadly. Surely 60W is pretty OTT for the bedroom?

4Eyes

Reaction score
The ENGL e530 in my experience needs a boost for anything lower than standard 6 string, that said it's a killer rack preamp especially for the price.

than it had to be broken, it's tight as hell even with maxed gain on the 4th hi gain channel.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Didn't have to boost it either, and max gain is totally useless with it anyway, it just has loads on tap.
The e530 is the better choice as you can get some pretty extreme tones from it AND if you ever need a non-bedroom gig the upgrade will be to get a poweramp

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
The blackstar HT series do great at low volume on the dirt channel (it helps that there is some solid state preamp components). Its the clean channel that i feel the need to turn up to really get some warmth out of - but still should be fine for bedroom levels, it just needs some of that power tube goodness.

Edit: i should note that the dirt channel DOES tighten up a bit at higher volumes, negating the need for a boost, but i can get some killer tones at TV level volume with a tube screamer in front of it.

No experience on the Engl.

4Eyes

Reaction score
That good? Nice...
Maybe it can depend on the power amp. What were you using?
I used every option - direct, engl preamp into a cabinet and preamp through fireball's and custom head's poweramp. Boost in front of this preamp doesn't make sence IMHO, especially on the hi gain channels

Didn't have to boost it either, and max gain is totally useless with it anyway, it just has loads on tap.
it was an example from my side, never had gain over the half on 3/4ch and I don't play rock of course :lol:

edlamb0306

Reaction score
Wow, what a quandary! :scratch: So, half of you recommend I save a bit more and go with a higher wattage HT amp; and the other half recommend the E530. Hmm...

Would the HT20 be a could choice? I'm guessing the tone is very much similar to the ht5 as it's a basically a scaled up version, isn't it? Or is that not strictly correct?

Does anyone have any more to add?

4Eyes

Reaction score
if you need it only for home use/recording watts are not important. you can plug into a cabinet both on its own. With E530 you have an option to take it and extend it with poweramp to gigging mono/stereo rig. the best way is to try both with you hands/ears/guitar and decide what you prefer. but with engl e530 you have more options for future

edlamb0306

Reaction score
OK, if I'm going for a higher watt amp, what about an Orange Dark Terror? It's got great reviews and sounds really good from what I've heard. Plus, I can get it for pretty much the same amount as the HT20.

Opinions?

')