Yet another amp upgrade thread (HT5R vs E530)

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
IMO, for what you are looking for in an amp...you are describing the HT-5(R) to the letter. Although I am a fan of Blackstar, I can also suggest another amp that will suit all you're looking for plus higher wattage and priced in the same ballpark as the HT-20 and the Orange Terrors....

Products - TubeMeister - Hughes & Kettner 18 Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Would the HT20 be a could choice? I'm guessing the tone is very much similar to the ht5 as it's a basically a scaled up version, isn't it? Or is that not strictly correct?

HT20 has been great for me, with the bonus being that with a speaker swap it's great in a band setting, will keep up with any stack. With the stock speaker it'll work, but your tone will be sacrificed a bit pushing the amp so hard. Not sure about the tone differences from the HT5 but from what i've read its sounds similar or even a bit better tonewise - again just what i've read.

edlamb0306

Reaction score
OK. It looks like I'm going to eliminate the E530 from the runnings, purely from an economical point of view. It would be more cost-effective for my situation to go one of the other routes I've looked into. So, it's really down to the options of:

- HT5R Head
- Higher watt HT range amp head (most likely 20, if I go down that road)
- Orange Dark Terror

All with 2x12 (yes, I've decided to splash out on a 2x12 :rolleyes:)

Thanks for all the help and patience, guys; you've opened my eyes to more possibilities! :bowdown:

This may be taking it a bit too far but...
It would be helpful if someone could use a smartphone or something to measure the volume of what they consider a bedroom level if they have one of these amps (in db) hahaha.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
This may be taking it a bit too far but...
It would be helpful if someone could use a smartphone or something to measure the volume of what they consider a bedroom level if they have one of these amps (in db) hahaha.

I'll put it this way - My GF watches TV in the same room while i play sometimes (yeah she gets annoyed but can hear), and i can still get good dirty tones. Sure it kinda sucks playing at that level, but i can still get heavy tones

that should give you an idea :)

edlamb0306

Reaction score
I'll put it this way - My GF watches TV in the same room while i play sometimes (yeah she gets annoyed but can hear), and i can still get good dirty tones. Sure it kinda sucks playing at that level, but i can still get heavy tones

that should give you an idea :)

That's quite helpful, thanks! I'd probably be playing just above the kind of level you described anyway, so that does give a pretty good idea.

GXPO

Reaction score
I tried the HT5 through the matching Blackstar cab and have to say that I wasn't blown away by it.. I was playing it with some pretty shitty pickups though. You seem quite worried about volume, doesn't the E530 have headphone capability?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
through the matching Blackstar cab and have to say that I wasn't blown away by it..

The cab is pretty terrible. The amp really comes alive through a better speaker. When i added an eminence wizard to my 20 watter i was blown away.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
The cab is pretty terrible. The amp really comes alive through a better speaker. When i added an eminence wizard to my 20 watter i was blown away.

I played an HT-5 through my Avatar 2x12 with V30s and was also blown away. It's my #1 choice for an around the house amp.

OP, you know the HT-5 has a speaker-emulated out that's supposed to sound pretty good, eh? Eliminating the need for amp sims :)

This is the HT-1, not the HT-5, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the emulated out. Keep in mind, the HT-1 doesn't have a three band EQ, so that's gonna affect the tone a lot.

edlamb0306

Reaction score
After a while spent doing some more budgeting and research, I've decided that I think that I'll be going with the HT5 (for the second time :rolleyes:). I think it sounds good, and will be the easiest on the wallet.

If anyone has anymore to offer, then that's great, but I think I'm going to have to stick to it this time. Sorry that I've pretty much just ignored all the advice I started this for :lol:.

Thanks for all the help again, everyone. Might do a NAD when I get it... Maybe.

')