Yet another dead RGA8

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Had this for about a week now... I think the pic speaks for itself...

EDIT: For those of you who can't see, the bridge stud ripped out of the wood. I'm the 3rd person I've heard this has happened to.

Attachments

• 0327002203.jpg
    0327002203.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 1,902
  • 0327002203a.jpg
    0327002203a.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 1,568

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I_infect

Reaction score
I'm wondering if mahogany is the culprit here, it seems softer than basswood?

Also, anyone know of this happening to the RG2228's?

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Mahogany is supposed to be harder than basswood to my knowledge, but I've heard of 3 of these situations happening with the RGA8 and none on the 2228 so take that for what it is I suppose :/

I_infect

Reaction score
Mahogany is supposed to be harder than basswood to my knowledge, but I've heard of 3 of these situations happening with the RGA8 and none on the 2228 so take that for what it is I suppose :/
Yeah, I have a 2228, and this hasn't happened yet... but just because it's the same bridge it's a concern of mine. There's no reason for this... big design flaw

I_infect

Reaction score
the reason I brought up mahogany is I had a jackson cow(mahogany neck/body) delivered with the neck bolts stripped right out of the body. just wondering if there is any correlation. OP was it under warranty at least? I'm wondering what Ibanez has to say about this

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drive down to Bensalem and ask HUSA what the fuck's up.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Yeah I've only had it for like a week now so it shouldn't be a big problem. Taking it back to the store I bought it from tomorrow.

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
That sucks man. But then again, look at the price you paid for it. I always found the RGA8's to just look a bit cheap. Like Ibby knew they were overpricing the 2228's so they found a cheap ass alternative. Not saying they are all like that, but from the stories, not a good indicator.

Hope you can get that taken care of without a stab at your wallet :(

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I've never liked the rga8 because I assumed it was cheap and liable to screw up due to Indo origin, gloss black (something about gloss black activates a 'meh' tic in me o_O) and it being a cheap alternative to the 2228, which I want horribly. It makes me sad to see it proven true though :( I hope you get your money back dude, that's bullshit!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never liked the rga8 because I assumed it was cheap and liable to screw up due to Indo origin, gloss black (something about gloss black activates a 'meh' tic in me o_O) and it being a cheap alternative to the 2228, which I want horribly. It makes me sad to see it proven true though :( I hope you get your money back dude, that's bullshit!

Because three in a few hundred is an obvious sign of that it's terrible. :lol:

I kid I kid.

This is why I don't buy first runs. There's always hiccups and other little miscalculations.

Roo

THE THICKNESS
Reaction score
Ah man, I was at Daemoness the other day and he was working with one, rerouting some pickups and setting up and so forth, and when he was working the would the first thing he said is that the wood did NOT feel like Mahogany rather it was flaky and dry, perhaps signifying that is made of really cheap and nasty mahogany. I mean they're going to want to use a lightweight mahogany so its not too muddy but thats terrible man. Hope that all sorts out. I'd say go with Agile next time (not something I say often as I'm not a fan of their 8s)

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Compared to that,agile's flaws seem minor...
Most lkely it's because of cheap wood..I guess ibanez wouldn't afford something better for that price,regarding the relatively small number of people wanting an 8 string..And explains maybe why the RG228 is overpriced XD
I just hope it's not because of inadequate study of the mechanical properties of the bridge and the forces that the screws apply to the wood..Both cases are unacceptable for such a big company...

Latest posts

')