Yet another dead RGA8

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Yet 9/10 times this problem occurs when people raise the action without raising the fucking allen key first. That ladies and gentlemen, is how you rip it out of the wood. The allen key doesn't need to be tightened a lot btw, just enough to keep the bridge from moving will do fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
Yet 9/10 times this problem occurs when people raise the action without raising the fucking allen key first. That ladies and gentlemen, is how you rip it out of the wood. The allen key doesn't need to be tightened a lot btw, just enough to keep the bridge from moving will do fine.
I can dig it! & Ya know, I think I do have to agree with you there :)
-Brent

Weimat01

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the bridge screw problem was a design fault that they had when they first started making the RGA8, and have since fixed it. The first RGA8 that I bought broke after about a month and I got it replaced with a brand new one which has been fine ever since. I wouldn't worry too much about this happening too you, especially if you buy a brand new one

thewildturkey

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just scored an RGA8 in a trade, is there anyway to tell from the serial number, or from an inspection of the bridge what run the guitar is and/or if it will be prone to this issue?

Cheers for an info

Dan.

Edit:
Actually, I got it from Weimat01, looks like it shouldnt be a problem according to his post above :D

Reaction score
I got a RGA8 a little less than a month ago from Musician's Friend, and the seating is ripping out of the wood on mine now.

I'm really sad that it happened, and was very overcautious when it came to tightening that bolt when lowering my bridge, yet it didn't pop out of the wood a bit until I made a truss bar adjustment.

It really sucks, and I know it is partially my own fault, but I thought the one I was buying would be from one of the more current batches of RGA8, but Musician's Friend must have had a back stock of them or something. I'm going to look up the serial number here in a bit.

Luckily, at the moment, it is still playable, but I'm afraid the bridge is going to rip out at any point in time. Hopefully my local luthier can fix it! He seems very skilled and his prices are very competitive. I'm gonna go down there in the next day or so and get a price quote.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Shit, just happened to mine. :realmad: Was just putting a new set of strings on it. It's not like I run a whole lot of tension or anything. Anyone want to let me know what parts I need to fix it? I sent a inquiry to Ibanez about it as well, but I got the thing third hand so I doubt the warranty is good. :noplease:

King Crimson

Mental Metal Head
Reaction score
Oh hey man lol. I'm really considering it. Agiles are looking pretty sweet though for the price.

Hey Crescent2k6 sorry to hear your misfortune on the RGA8. I was going to go with one too but I think unless I can afford a 2228 it aint gonna happen.

However looking at the Agile it looks very attractive, especially from a price point. I'm a little perplexed as to how Agile can offer a 8 so low priced. I mean $600 for the Agile Intrepid Dual 828 EB and $660 for the Agile Septor 828 RN. Something scares me a bit I must admit about this.

And what's the difference between the RN and the EB model?

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
To all of you had that are concerned about this or are having issues with it, there's a really simple solution (something I did when I built my replacement body, keeping in mind I have one of the ''first batch'' RGA 8's):

Epoxy the stud for the allen screw. Simple as that. The sapele that Ibanez is using is relatively soft so the stud rips out quite fast (also, it's claws don't dig in to the wood that much).

Just take out the bridge, then the stud which I accomplished by screwing in a dummy screw and using two spanners as a lever (tape your guitar though, it might get scratched). Then cover the part of the stud where the screw goes in to with tape and epoxy the base hole where the stud came from, then insert it back firmly and your troubles will cease and fortune will smile upon you :)

')