Yet another dead RGA8

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Warrior,
You're saying that the Agile 8s have a thinner neck than the Ibby 8? My 7 string Agile has a table leg of a neck compared to my 2 Ibby 7s.

Derek

It's been a pretty long time since I've tried the Agile out for myself. I was comparing it to the Schecter neck, though, not the Ibanez. It was a reference to a conversation that Crescent2k6 and I had had earlier (I'm actually the one who handled the return of the guitar this thread is about, I work at that store).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Yeah warrior I'm definitely looking forward to trying out that schecter once you get it in stock. Also, just curious. Has anyone had this problem with the Edge III-8 on the 2228? Cause it's exactly the same bridge but it seems to only have this problem on the RGA8. If set up "wrong" would it do the same thing to the 2228? or is the wood routed out deep enough so that this doesn't happen?

Sy01

Behold my >8C
Reaction score
As I said in another "borked RGA8" thread, mine broke the same way the same weekend I got it, while I was playing. I felt really awful, because at that point, there was no news of this happening to anyone else; so I thought I wouldn't be able to get a replacement.

I just got a call from Gear4Music.com and they said that my replacement won't arrive til june (instead of today, as originally thought), so I took a refund.

I guess this delay is to do with factory recalls. My only option now is probably to get and Agile Intrepid, but I'm skeptical of that, because despite the price, I'd have to do all that customs crap, and we don't get a warranty in the UK either.

Well, maybe the next lot of RGA8s (or whatever they choose to replace them) will be better?

ndobrev

Reaction score
Damn, mine is dead too....:realmad:

P1010226.JPG

mr coffee

Reaction score
Hmmm....leaning more and more towards any 8 that's not an Ibanez.

-m

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
For what it's worth... Ibanez and a few other guitar companies source their mahogany from plantations in asia. This plantation mahogany is of inferior quality to that sourced from south/central america or africa. I.E. Softer.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Sure I could fix it if I bought one and it was fucked, but it's their job, for 800 dollars, to make me a guitar that doesn't BREAK on its own. They're not getting any of my money for new affordable models when they make them this shitty. Used or custom it is hahah :yesway:

I feel for you man :( hope it gets fixed soon!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For what it's worth... Ibanez and a few other guitar companies source their mahogany from plantations in asia. This plantation mahogany is of inferior quality to that sourced from south/central america or africa. I.E. Softer.

Ibanez doesn't source anything, as they don't produce anything (except for LACS). Look to Cort, World, Seain, and a few of the other larger guitar makers.

The same stuff that Agiles, Schecters, LTDs, and Ibanez guitars are made of (and literally hundreds of other brands) are sourced from the same suppliers, namely those Cortek employs.

E733

DOOM
Reaction score
This worries me.

I have had my RGA8 for about 2 months now...and no problems yet. However, I am getting it set up soon...I'm worried. :ugh:

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Ibanez doesn't source anything, as they don't produce anything (except for LACS). Look to Cort, World, Seain, and a few of the other larger guitar makers.

The same stuff that Agiles, Schecters, LTDs, and Ibanez guitars are made of (and literally hundreds of other brands) are sourced from the same suppliers, namely those Cortek employs.

Sourced was simply meant to imply where the wood comes from... Not necessarily who is in charge of it... We're all very aware that Ibanez is not very involved in it's non japanese or LACS production lines.

Reaction score
Man, its threads like this that make me glad I signed up to this forum. I'm in the market for an 8 string and had first considered the Ibanez before I found the Agile and the Guerilla but after seeing these brand new RGA8's fall apart like this forget it.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I've heard of a few issues with the Agiles too... I'm not saying that in most cases there are issues... Just beware. Quality control is an issues with a lot of companies now. If you're getting an Ibanez, I'd suggest going for a prestige or better. The problem with that is the price. But then again... You can get a BRJ or something similar for a little more than a prestige that's custom which makes it a lot more personal for the money invested. TBH though... I'm pretty unimpressed with Ibanez as of late. I bought a new UV777BK this year... 2g's invested and there was more wood filler in the inlay than I would have liked and there is a shim hanging out from under the locking nut. You would think that for the money they charge for these guitars they'd put more effort into avoiding obvious defects like this. It plays like no other guitar I've owned, but I really was expecting a little more for my money.

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
I've heard of a few issues with the Agiles too... I'm not saying that in most cases there are issues... Just beware. Quality control is an issues with a lot of companies now. If you're getting an Ibanez, I'd suggest going for a prestige or better. The problem with that is the price. But then again... You can get a BRJ or something similar for a little more than a prestige that's custom which makes it a lot more personal for the money invested. TBH though... I'm pretty unimpressed with Ibanez as of late. I bought a new UV777BK this year... 2g's invested and there was more wood filler in the inlay than I would have liked and there is a shim hanging out from under the locking nut. You would think that for the money they charge for these guitars they'd put more effort into avoiding obvious defects like this. It plays like no other guitar I've owned, but I really was expecting a little more for my money.

not always true. most companies ive talked with about custom 8s put them into the high $2k range. I am going with RestorationAD(Brett) for mine, however although all builds are different,i gave him a budget and hes willing to accomodate it. Itll be his first customer 8, so hes pricing it accordingly. Were doing alot of trial and error with the setup and hes using a Agile Cepheus for a base idea of tones for the handwound pups he is going to install too(cant wait to try them firstHAHA!!). The good thing about these thing are the time though. Im going to give 1/2 in january when i get school money. THe build will start then and i should have till about may to pay it off before its finished.

So after its all said and done hell have 8string templates done now, and be able to offer a model to his customers. We have talked extensively about the "middle" area market for 8s. People wanting better than a RG2228(price,specs,playability) but not cost like $4500 like a sherman or Hufschmid. So hopefully when its all said and done, hell have good news for those looking for a mid ranged yet still BALLER custom 8.

my agile slays though. I was going for an RGA8, but the scale, horrid pups, active routing and price derailed it. My septor is perfect. haha

rettnoise

Reaction score
yet there's another rga8 with the screw popping out of the wood.
i had it for 4 1/2 weeks when it happened.
i bought in from thomann in germany, they took it back for a garanty repair.
though i have changed the pickup for a seymour duncan blackout
an exchange is most likely not possible. it has been a week now and i got a mail that they have send it to the german distributer.
i hope they fix it properly !

regards
rettnoise

Interloper

Reaction score
You can add me to the list, I had mine one week and the small bolt on the trem stripped out of the wood before I even had a chance to change the strings. I sent it to get repaired so a month later I get it back. Three days later I go to change the strings and I unlock the nut only to find it cracked in half right under the low string. Called my dealer, boxed it up and I'm getting my money back.

The thing about these is that they are not exactly entry level priced. Anything over $600 should not have these types of problems. The whole fixed edge is kinda stupid if you ask me, a hipshot would have been infinitely better imo.

Barney

Reaction score
This happened to my 2-weeks-old RGA8 also. + The nut cracked and it needs to be replaced. Check my thread.

LEWY7777777

Reaction score

Well I have figured out why quality control has become an issue: 1. Its more important to have the coolest phone and bill subscription available than to concentrate on driving (the deadliest thing anyone will ever do in their lives)
much less worry about some weird 7 or 8 string guitar haha.(Sarcasm :rolleyes:)
2. What? You want chili on your burger? Thats impossible!
3. :fawk: 'ed up society in general.
4. Money = worth shit to buy but the actual bill-note worth an arm and leg.
5. Huge company business, huge company scam, huge inflation flatulance.
HUGE list must stop here. :realmad: :lol: :scratch: :spock: :nuts:

')