Yet another what should I get thread.Home rig

• Thread starter js75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

js75

Reaction score
Right now i am playing through a Katana mini.Am looking for a tight modern metal tone,usuaully am tuned A standard on my 7 and d standard on my six.I have a 2x12 cab I built with a swamp thang and governor.Should I get a katana head and be done?Is it really as good as the interweb says it is?Or should I go for something like a GE 200 with a poweramp or try an frfr cab.Budget is $500 to $700 CAD.Have been down the used route,looking to buy new.Opinions,suggestions,please

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
A used EVH 5150III 50w maybe. The Katana Head is fine as well. I have one, and it is my go to practice amp. You can definitely get a tight, modern tone by messing with the onboard pedals and eq.

Werecow

Reaction score
Seeing as you already have a cab, another vote for a used EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6 head here. They're great at all volumes, all the way down to hearing your strings acoustically over the top of it. No idea what they go for where you live, but it sorta sounds in the ballpark.

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
I'll have to echo from personal experience that the 5150III 6L6 50w sounds great at all volume levels. You should be able to find some good deals on a used one.

js75

Reaction score
up here 5150's seem pretty pricey even used.I don't think I have seen a used one for less $800 most are over a grand.The odd time a 5150 212 bock letter will show up for around $600.I don't gig or anything like that so I don't need tubes although they would be nice

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
In usd but here you go

1. Cheap monitors ~ $100
I have Mackie CR3's that I bought for 80 bucks but Yamaha 5 inch ones are probably a better starting point. Freak mode: Get a powered sub too.

Path A: Analog or modeling hardware:

2. Cab sim pedal ~ 150
The Mooer Radar is still the cheapest for the amount of features (power amp sims and EQ which you will need for tone sculpting) There's also the Two Notes Cab M, AMT Pangaea, Hotone Binary, Valeton makes an even cheaper unit for ~$70 but I would avoid that.

3. Rack preamp, preamp pedal, distortion pedal ~ 100-450 depending
Pedals: KSR Ceres, Revv G3/4, MI Audio Megalith Delta, Leqtique 9/9, Friedman BE-OD/BE-OD Deluxe, S&K VHD/PLX FX Spirytus, AMT Bricks
Racks: Crate XLP, Marshall 9001, Peavey Rockmaster, etc. Old shit.

Path B: DAWs and VSTs

2. Just get NDSP Archetype Nolly or Nameless LMAO
3. TH-U Overloud is okay too
4. Bro this is a deep rabbit hole

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Find an origina (not H) marshall DSL50.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
You've already got a Katana mini so I wouldn't go for the Katana on that account alone.

Since you've got a cab it's hard to go wrong with the aforementioned 5150, but I'd go for whatever head you can find locally in your budget.

If you're looking for a bit more versatility, a lower end modeler and a pedal power amp will cover a lot of ground. The Mooer Preamp Live and a Baby Bomb fits your budget, maybe an HX Stomp if you find a deal. If you wanted to go cheaper you could grab one of the Mooer Micro preamps.

I'm a big preamp pedal proponent, and there's a lot of cool stuff out there within your budget.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Mooer 005 and Baby Bomb. Sounds amazing into a cab. Should run you more than $250 CDN new or $170 used.

Brutal rig!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Whereabouts in canada are you? Someone on another forum has a tsl60 for $600.

js75

Reaction score
I am from Alberta.Prs mt-15 would most definetly be my first choice,once again they are $900 bucks new.I can't justify paying that much right now.To jump down the rabbit hole,if I start out with a baby bomb what should I run after it.Mooer preamp live,Ge 200,Aires nemesis,or spend a little more an a ksr ceres.Some sort of built in effects might be nice to.So many options .I don't live by a big city so trying gear out is not really an option, unless I am there.I basically just google reviews or ask you guys.

Shask

Reaction score
I think the main thing you have to decide is if you want an all-in-one-box like a Katana, or you want pieces you can buy when you have the $$, like a processor pedal (Mooer, Boss, Line 6, etc...), or if you want to save some money and get something tube.

I think all the options above are good. The Katana Head is a great amp for the price. Once you plug it into the computer you can dial in some great heavy tones. It is a great all-around unit. I also like the 5150 II 50W people suggested. It is more expensive, but it sounds and feels amazing. I was playing one of these last week, and I think I want one now, lol. I also like the little Mooer preamp pedals and such. These are nice, but more fidgety since you will need to buy all the little pieces. The pedals, the power supplies, the cables, etc....

I would not do a FRFR cab. I would build on what you have. Get an amp like a Katana or 5150 or whatever, or get a processor/preamp-pedal and a poweramp.

Are you more worried about having one great heavy tone? Or a so-so tone, but more variety in effects and switching?

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I am from Alberta.Prs mt-15 would most definetly be my first choice,once again they are $900 bucks new.I can't justify paying that much right now.To jump down the rabbit hole,if I start out with a baby bomb what should I run after it.Mooer preamp live,Ge 200,Aires nemesis,or spend a little more an a ksr ceres.Some sort of built in effects might be nice to.So many options .I don't live by a big city so trying gear out is not really an option, unless I am there.I basically just google reviews or ask you guys.
Test that amp in the store and then buy it used ;-)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
L&M ships, but you probably pay return shipping if you don't like something. 15 day money-back trial though.

Related, have you plugged your katana in to your computer to use the deeper editing? I think they do that at least.

js75

Reaction score
I think the main thing you have to decide is if you want an all-in-one-box like a Katana, or you want pieces you can buy when you have the $$, like a processor pedal (Mooer, Boss, Line 6, etc...), or if you want to save some money and get something tube.

I think all the options above are good. The Katana Head is a great amp for the price. Once you plug it into the computer you can dial in some great heavy tones. It is a great all-around unit. I also like the 5150 II 50W people suggested. It is more expensive, but it sounds and feels amazing. I was playing one of these last week, and I think I want one now, lol. I also like the little Mooer preamp pedals and such. These are nice, but more fidgety since you will need to buy all the little pieces. The pedals, the power supplies, the cables, etc....

I would not do a FRFR cab. I would build on what you have. Get an amp like a Katana or 5150 or whatever, or get a processor/preamp-pedal and a poweramp.

Are you more worried about having one great heavy tone? Or a so-so tone, but more variety in effects and switching?
Would like to meet somewhwere in the middle.Reality is I don't need the best.I would like something with decent tone,maybe some effects and is easy to use.I have not had good luck buying used,which is probably my fault because I never tried before I bought.Disposible income is tight so I wanna make sure I get something I will keep.Maybe a cheaper modeller/power amp. Usually you get what you pay for.Am willing wait before I Buy.Maybe a Pod go when it comes out?

Shask

Reaction score
Would like to meet somewhwere in the middle.Reality is I don't need the best.I would like something with decent tone,maybe some effects and is easy to use.I have not had good luck buying used,which is probably my fault because I never tried before I bought.Disposible income is tight so I wanna make sure I get something I will keep.Maybe a cheaper modeller/power amp. Usually you get what you pay for.Am willing wait before I Buy.Maybe a Pod go when it comes out?
I think that overall, you can't go wrong with the Katana Head. It is a lot of amp, especially the Mark 1 Head, which is less than $300 now. You could have the Katana Head and GA-FC footcontroller for less than $400 new, and that is a killer combo, and a lot for the $$. Maybe not the easiest to use since it is best with tweaking on the computer. It is not plug-n-play. However, that would be true of any modeler you were to buy. It would be easier than buying individual pedals, and cheaper in the long-run. It would be good enough overall, and also be cheap enough you could play it for a long time if you continued to save for something more expensive. It is a great amp, it sounds pretty good, and the main reason it is popular, is because it feels good. It has a nice bouncy feel to it that is more like tubes than a lot of the flat feeling cheaper modelers. It has all the effects built in that you can get to with the software, and they are all pretty good. With the GA-FC you can turn the effects on/off on each preset.

I think it would be a great all-in-one solution that would be easy to get.

Shask

Reaction score
L&M ships, but you probably pay return shipping if you don't like something. 15 day money-back trial though.

Related, have you plugged your katana in to your computer to use the deeper editing? I think they do that at least.
The Katana Mini doesn't plug into the computer. The Mini really isn't even like any of the other Katana amps except in name. It is a little solid state practice amp. The bigger Katanas are all digital modeling amps.

Splenetic

Reaction score
In that price range I'd be looking at Peavey 6505 MH or Marshall DSL 20HR.

Latest posts

')