Yngwie's opinions.

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

great_kthulu

Reaction score
I love even on the stuff he liked, he managed find something to complain about, "I love vai, but his tone sucks" (paraphrasing) ect. At least he complimented chuck on his vibrato, chuck never gets enough credit for his vibrato (even if he did hate death otherwise.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
"But I really can't say anything bad about the guitarist in Dream Theater, because he's good and very ambitious. I think in a couple more years he'll have his own identity." ...heh.

Al NiCotin

Reaction score
Does Yngwie knows he has a common point with Steve Vai?

Paganini's Last Stand.jpg

this Maestro dude (for whom Outta Tune is like everyday micturition)

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
On Pearl Jam:

I'm going to dig my own grave right now. I think the singer in Pearl Jam should eat some Pearl Jam! He cannot sing to save his life! And the guitar player needs to seek help. The guitar solo is terrible -- it's just wank-off, wah-wah pedal bullshit!

That's the most disgusting thing, so tasteless, so common, so blatant -- the worst! There are people like Clapton, Hendrix, Angus Young, Ritchie Blackmore, even Jimmy Page, they played pentatonic -- the regular stuff -- but they did it with taste. But the guitarist in Pearl Jam, and the lead player in Metallica, they've got no taste whatsoever.

I don't want to comment on that song anymore.

I love the last line.... what is there left to say after that? Haha!

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
That's a bit harsh imo, i gotta be in the mood to listen to him and he ain't on my list of influences BUT whether you like him as a person (which true he has mellowed with age going by recent interviews) or like his music whatever, the guy should be acknowledged as one of the greatest and certainly most influential players of all time. No Yngwie = No Shredders. No Gilbert, No Becker, No Friedman, et all infinartum...

Hmmm... I would push back on that and say because of Randy Rhoads and EVH more than Yngwie... at least that's how it felt to me growing up during that time period! Those guys aren't much older than me...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
And hasn't Marty Friedman been playing since 1982? Yngwie didn't really debut anything until 1983. :shrug:

EDIT: Disregard that. I thought you were talking about neo-classical stuff. I see you just mean shredding in general.

Elijah

Reaction score
That's a bit harsh imo, i gotta be in the mood to listen to him and he ain't on my list of influences BUT whether you like him as a person (which true he has mellowed with age going by recent interviews) or like his music whatever, the guy should be acknowledged as one of the greatest and certainly most influential players of all time. No Yngwie = No Shredders. No Gilbert, No Becker, No Friedman, et all infinartum....

I never said he wasn't good or couldn't play. Of course he's a ridiculous player and a huge influence on countless guitarist, including myself as a younger boy, but to me as a listener, overly recycled shred music is a giant :nono:

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I never said he wasn't good or couldn't play. Of course he's a ridiculous player and a huge influence on countless guitarist, including myself as a younger boy, but to me as a listener, overly recycled shred music is a giant :nono:
Hmmm... I would push back on that and say because of Randy Rhoads and EVH more than Yngwie... at least that's how it felt to me growing up during that time period! Those guys aren't much older than me...

Tbh Yngwie was no influence on me at all Rhoads/EVH/Lynch were the be all and end all for me when I started and I never really got in to Neo Classical stuff, tried but wasn't my thing, so I do agree in part that he can be very "samey" and if you don't like sweep picked Harmonic minor patterns in your shredding then you need to look else where! My point really is I guess he gets so much shit (and yeah course 90% of it is justified coz of his mouth!!) but he should really be held up their with the likes of Vai and EVH as one of the most important players.... I brought Relentless cpl months back and I really like it, plus his Concerto Suite with the Japan Philharmonic blew me away!

Think I have choosen the wrong thread to defend him in!! LOL!! Coz his comments are fucking hilarious n I'm sure the echo from his head being stuck up his ar4e was affecting the interview too!

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
For years I hated Malmsteen until I stopped taking him seriously and realised that he's so over the top and ludicrous that the only thing you can really do is laugh at him, to me he's like the character Jack Black plays when he's doing his Tenacious D stuff but for real and covered in lots of leather and naff gold jewellery I also find it a tad ironic that his real name is Lars too.

Cheap Poison

Reaction score
I just read it all and i think i have seen his pattern.

Most of the things he doesn't know sucks hard.
Things he knows suck a bit less or are borderline acceptable.

')