Yo... Elysian! Or anybody else with X2N knowledge

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
How do X2N's sounds as neck pickups??? I'm getting one for the bridge for sure but I think it may look a bit funny if I don't use a rail pup in the neck as well. My options are............... X2N, x2N, or X2n :lol:

Is there a resistor or something you can wire in to knock the output of the neck one down a bit if needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
You could always just lower the pickup..... I don't think I'd like it as a neck humbucker though (better never want to play clean parts unless you tap it, IMO).

Don't worry about th rails, just get all black pickups. :)

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
You could always just lower the pickup..... I don't think I'd like it as a neck humbucker though (better never want to play clean parts unless you tap it, IMO).

Don't worry about th rails, just get all black pickups. :)

Hmmm, so you don't think that'd look funny? I'd never use anything but a black pickup, I suppose it would look pretty sweet if the rails and pole pieces were black but that would require a bit of paint. hmmm... :scratch:

If I had time I'd photoshop it! But I gotta get to the lake!

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me at all, but then you can order any allen-screw dimarzio with different color poles(like say a Blaze Neck, etc).

Hell, the guitar I have my X2N in has all types of silver poles everywhere...:lol:
S540LTDNOV-30-2005.jpg

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
Doesn't bother me at all, but then you can order any allen-screw dimarzio with different color poles(like say a Blaze Neck, etc).

Hell, the guitar I have my X2N in has all types of silver poles everywhere...:lol:
S540LTDNOV-30-2005.jpg

Well, the pole pieces in the rest of my pups are already black but I don't know if they offer the X2N-7 in black as well. The only pics I've seen are on music123.com and it's black with an unfinished rail. hmmm... might blend well with my pickguard though. Dunno, decisions decisions... :wallbash:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
LordOVchaoS said:
How do X2N's sounds as neck pickups??? I'm getting one for the bridge for sure but I think it may look a bit funny if I don't use a rail pup in the neck as well. My options are............... X2N, x2N, or X2n :lol:

Is there a resistor or something you can wire in to knock the output of the neck one down a bit if needed?
i've put one in the neck and made a sloptastic clip of it in the past, and the people who heard it said it sounded like a more natural sounding emg 85... i'm putting one in the neck spot as well as bridge on my 6 string i built, i'm wiring the bridge in series and the neck in parallel... one option you could do is put it in the neck spot with a series/split/parallel mini switch...

and as for clean parts... i do all my clean bits on my recordings with my bridge pickup in my Rhoads V, which is an X2N wired in series. if you know how to control your gear, it gets a very nice very clean very crisp clean tone.

if i were building a 2 pickup 7 stringer right now, i'd put an x2n-7 in the bridge spot, and a d-sonic 7 in the neck spot. would balance out very well imo.

BrianCarroll

Reaction score
I've got two X2N on one of my ESP MII : it's sounds very good.
BTW, my vol pot is a 250, I prefer the X2N that way 'cause the ESP MII is already quite bright sounding.
For clean sounds, the splitted coils sound very well too.

Akrin

5/4 > most
Reaction score
pickups.jpg

It's not actually an X2N, but I think it looks awesome with the chrome covered neck pup. :hbang:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Don't recommend an X2N if you do any clean work with anything other than a digital amp.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Don't recommend an X2N if you do any clean work with anything other than a digital amp.

My clean work is VERY limited. Most of my work is balls to the wall death metal. I believe I am going to stick with something else for the neck, Air Norton possibly? But as soon as funds premit there will be an X2N in the bridge of my UV :hbang:

thanks guys. :hug:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
LordOVchaoS said:
My clean work is VERY limited. Most of my work is balls to the wall death metal. I believe I am going to stick with something else for the neck, Air Norton possibly? But as soon as funds premit there will be an X2N in the bridge of my UV :hbang:

thanks guys. :hug:
the air norton might not be hot enough to match the bridge if you do a x2n-7, whereas something like a D-sonic 7 would be, and would also at least half match the x2n :lol: i'm dying to try that combo, i think it would be incredible.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
...unless you either ran the X2N VERY low, or wanted a lower-output neck pickup for a gain drop whenever you switched over, which would probably be nice if you only use your neck pickup for cleans.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Drew said:
...unless you either ran the X2N VERY low, or wanted a lower-output neck pickup for a gain drop whenever you switched over, which would probably be nice if you only use your neck pickup for cleans.
true, but who buys an x2n and doesn't run it balls out? :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not saying that's what I personally would do (I like my pickups to match in level but differ in tone), and if I was into high-output pickups I wouldn't buy an X2N and then back off the thing, but it's an option. :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Air Norton in the neck should be fine.

j7899

Reaction score
Elysian said:
the air norton might not be hot enough to match the bridge if you do a x2n-7, whereas something like a D-sonic 7 would be, and would also at least half match the x2n :lol: i'm dying to try that combo, i think it would be incredible.

I have that combo and sometimes find myself playing the D-sonic in the neck more than the X2N in the bridge, but they both sound amazing. When I did that clip I had the basic PodXT 3.01 model packs, after putting mine back on there it blows me away!

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
j7899 said:
I have that combo and sometimes find myself playing the D-sonic in the neck more than the X2N in the bridge, but they both sound amazing. When I did that clip I had the basic PodXT 3.01 model packs, after putting mine back on there it blows me away!

after trying an x2n wired in parallel in the neck spot today, i'm not really dying to try a d-sonic in the neck spot lol

goth_fiend

Reaction score
Elysian said:
true, but who buys an x2n and doesn't run it balls out? :lol:

we've been trying to figure that out for years, I go more then balls out though x2n with a booster:shred:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
goth_fiend said:
we've been trying to figure that out for years, I go more then balls out though x2n with a booster:shred:

that would be me as well. Don't have an X2N yet but lord knows I will boost it.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
:lol: dunno why an x2n would need a boost, but be my guest :lol: i actually tend to play with lower gain than i would any other pickup haha

')