You know, the more I think about it...

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
They're not our kids, it's not our job to judge the hearts of their parents, even if they are now public figures.

Agreed. And I doubt her "heart" was hoping that her newborn died just because he has Down Syndrome. That's really a horrible thing for anyone to think.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that the baby had Down Syndrome is almost irrelevant. The fact that the birth was quite premature is of greater importance.

Anyways, subsequent births don't just get easier, they get faster. Which is just makes this whole thing even more wtf worthy to me.

Like someone else said, at the very least, a serious lapse in judgment.

Some women go for days after water breaking, before they actually give birth.
She's had 5 kids, so she knows what's normal for her.
This is not for us to judge. At all.

Bull. Shit. So because some women sometimes have a period of days between their water breaking and the actual birth, you can just decide to screw around for half a day instead of going to the hospital, or even a freaking hotel bathtub?

Anyways, do you know how long she was in labor her previous births? Has she ever given birth prematurely before? Because that sure as hell is not "normal", which already throws your whole argument out the window.

And we can't judge her decision making capabilities? What's next, we can't call anybody else out on reckless endangerment? Hey, I know how to drive, those are my kids in the car, and I know what's normal for me. Back off. I can go 90 if I want to.

If Chappaquiddick is fair game (and it is), then this is as well.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Like has been said, she has plenty of things about her to dislike.

But she knows her own body. After 4 other children, she knows how her birthing process is going to go. If she has a history of this kind of thing without incident, maybe she even had a doctor tell her it was safe to leave it for a while.

If there is one thing I resent, it's this: there's a lot of assumptions flying around about her attitude towards her children, and particularly her newborn child. I have this to say, and that's no matter how you judge someone's character in the rest of their life, judging their character towards their children is NOT for the general populace to debate, unless there is an obvious and serious problem that HAS incurred serious consequences. They're not our kids, it's not our job to judge the hearts of their parents, even if they are now public figures.

How she handles herself in regards to her personal life speaks volumes about how she will make decisions when she is in a position of power and influence. I have absolutely every right to be judgmental of her, because she could possibly be running my country one day.

From what I have seen, she took an insane amount of risk, and at the very least, that makes me question her judgment. At worst, it makes me question her possibly criminal behavior. It definitely tells me that she does not have the qualities I look for in the person one step away from the presidency.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
How she handles herself in regards to her personal life speaks volumes about how she will make decisions when she is in a position of power and influence. I have absolutely every right to be judgmental of her, because she could possibly be running my country one day.

From what I have seen, she took an insane amount of risk, and at the very least, that makes me question her judgment. At worst, it makes me question her possibly criminal behavior. It definitely tells me that she does not have the qualities I look for in the person one step away from the presidency.

+1 Exactly. :agreed:

I find what she did amazing... in a "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING!?" kind of way.

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
You guys are taking a situation for which NONE of us know the details, and blowing it way out of proportion.

Yes, based on what we have heard, this could be considered a 'lapse in judgment'.
But it is a huge leap, to go from that, to "she tried to kill her retarded baby".

I don't like her because of her world-view. But I refuse to be a party to slander with this asinine speculation.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
no, they're not blowing it out of proportion.

bitch is batshit crazy and her actions proved it.

"this could be considered a lapse in judgement" are you fucking kidding me? that is not a 'could be considered", that's a "serious lapse in judgement".

all that said, i know nothing of political affairs in the states right now. i dont normally watch TV, and i dont go out and buy newspapers - im well aware that I should.

at the end of the day, BHD is trying to say that since we dont know the circumstances of Palin or her labour, and is kinda saying "well since we dont know, we should let it slide" - uh, no.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
at the end of the day, BHD is trying to say that since we dont know the circumstances of Palin or her labour, and is kinda saying "well since we dont know, we should let it slide" - uh, no.

Not quite. The real point is "well since we don't know, we shouldn't make such a racket when we may well be dead wrong."

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys are taking a situation for which NONE of us know the details, and blowing it way out of proportion.

Yes, based on what we have heard, this could be considered a 'lapse in judgment'.
But it is a huge leap, to go from that, to "she tried to kill her retarded baby".

I don't like her because of her world-view. But I refuse to be a party to slander with this asinine speculation.

Dude, a "lapse in judgment" is a pretty huge understatement here. We are definitely being too harsh to suspect that she hoped the baby wouldn't survive (I took that line of thinking more as an exaggeration joke) but she very well could have put the babies health at risk.

Just as an FYI, the local hospital here (small town Oregon, population >< 16,000) all mothers that go into preterm labor that early get an automatic life flight to the nearest hospital with a NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) which is about 250 miles away.

I for one wouldn't want anyone with that little regard for their own children to be making (or helping make) any decisions that impact my little ones.

Another thing to consider here (and we just don't know) is whether or not she even bothered to call a doctor at any point in time. It is, although pretty remote, a possibility that she got some truly bad medical advise but even then, at some point common sense has to kick in.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
(Anyone) Imagine growing up and finding this out about your mother - how would you feel?

I'd feel pretty terrible.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, what sort of "extenuating circumstances" could make waiting 13 hours before seeking medical attention when you go into labor a month and a half early for a baby with a birth defect a good decision?

I don't think we can conclude that "she didn't seek an abortion, but she tried to allow her retarded baby to die of natural causes" from what facts we have, either. However, I think we can conclude "what the FUCK was she thinking?" without any stretch of imagination, and that if nothing else she took a fairly lax attitude towards the safety and health of her retarded child.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
(Anyone) Imagine growing up and finding this out about your mother - how would you feel?

I'd feel pretty terrible.

Well, one of the kids has taken an unprotected jump away from the family 'tree' so I don't think that we need to speculate too much on this point!!

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
If it is proven that she was NOT in regular contact with her doctor, during those 13 hours, I will concede that she's completely retarded.

What was she thinking?
Here's a possible example:

SP..Doctor. I'm dilated to 4cm. Should I get on this next plane?
Doc..Yes. I've alerted the airline to your condition, Governor, and they will get you home, if possible, or land at the nearest facility if this becomes an emergency. Don't worry.

Yes. I'm speculating now. It's just as legitimate as anything else in this thread.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Further speculation, then - my money says the airline had no idea she was in labor when they boarded. Especially if the mother is the governor of the state they're flying to, that's WAY too much liability.

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
If it is proven that she was NOT in regular contact with her doctor, during those 13 hours, I will concede that she's completely retarded.

What was she thinking?

Doc..Yes. I've alerted the airline to your condition, Governor, and they will get you home, if possible, or land at the nearest facility if this becomes an emergency. Don't worry.

Yes. I'm speculating now. It's just as legitimate as anything else in this thread.

Dude seriously, if there is a doctor on the planet that tells a woman in pre term labor whose water has broken to get on an airplane they are in serious need of a malpractice suit.

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems that there is more to this story.
Link
She allegedly wasn't pregnant, and was covering up for her daughter.
This crap is all over the place.
I don't usually buy into all the internet buzz...But, I think Sarah's got some 'splainin to do.

I give up. Nail her ass to the wall.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems that there is more to this story.
Link
She allegedly wasn't pregnant, and was covering up for her daughter.
This crap is all over the place.
I don't usually buy into all the internet buzz...But, I think Sarah's got some 'splainin to do.

I give up. Nail her ass to the wall.

Old news, actually. A lot of the speculation was based on the fact that her daughter DOES look a little pregnant in the family picture that was sent around after the announcement.

Lo and behold, it was a very recent picture and a day or two later we find out that her daughter WAS five months pregnant.

However, the fact remains, no one in her town knew she was pregnant until suddenly she gave birth, and somehow no one on that airplane noticed her water had broke and she was having contractions (not exactly a comfortable experience, I gather).

So, if the baby was hers, she was damned-near criminally negligible in delaying to seek medical attention for so long. And, that's the side I've been focusing on for this entire thread.

But, at the same time, you kind of DO need to continue to consider at least the possibility that she lied about being pregnant to cover up for her daughter.

I'd say a simple paternity test should put ths to rest... :2c:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score

What was she thinking?

She hasn't exactly stepped up and set the record straight, now has she?

Politics is about perception, and right now, she's giving a whole lot of people a very good reason to have a bad perception of her. You say our speculation isn't fair? So fucking what? Life isn't fair.

I'm considering someone one step away from the president of this country. She's giving me reason to speculate on her motivations for her very unusual actions. I pass judgment on her by encouraging people to not vote for her. I look at her slashing of the budget for programs for teenage mothers, her support of aerial hunting to target top predators, and her refusal to even consider abortion in the case of rape or incest as supporting evidence of a very radical and questionable way of thinking.

I fail to understand why you are so strongly defending someone so far into the public eye. She has the mic any time she wants it. All she has to do is step up and explain her actions. Privacy? Don't run for public office.

...and who the hell flies a woman in labor? How is that even plausible? Any pilot worth his salt is NOT going to take that responsibility upon himself, unless he is a helicopter pilot flying her straight to the hospital a half a mile away.

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
Sorry bout that. I wasn't privy to all the background gossip.

I saw this thread as a lame-ass attempt to smear shit on her.
I did not think the allegations were relevant.
Come to find out that they're just one side of a larger issue.
She got caught doing something that goes against her own stated values.
She needs to answer for it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Little more fuel for the fire, plus or minus.

The National Governor's Association Centennial convention occured in February, 2008. To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first convention of American governors, they decided to re-create a famous photograph on the steps of the White House. Coincidently, Sarah Palin was in the front row, second from the left. Also coincidently, she was 6 months pregnant.

GovsPortraitNGA2008Large.jpg

Now, she's wearing all black, so it's REALLY tough to get a sense of the contour of the front of her dress. However, my boss is 6 months pregnant, and she wouldn't be able to hold her hands like that in a photograph.

')