You know, the more I think about it...

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
sarahpalinla4.png

...Palin knew this infant had Down's syndrome, yet she still waited 13 hours after her water broke before she went into the hospital.

I mean, I hate to speculate about this stuff, but you almost have to wonder, do you think she was hoping the baby wouldn't make it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
No, I don't think so, I think she just wanted to be back in the comfort of her own home(town).

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
It odd that she was in three major cities where she could have given birth. Yet she chose to wait until she got to Podunk Alaska to give birth. There's NO logic to it. Unless she wanted to prove she had the mightiest vagina ever.

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
I hate to defend that crazy....But, that woman has had 5 kids. I think she knows the routine well enough to decide for herself (and baby) how much time she has before she NEEDS to get to the hospital.

We have plenty of real reasons to dislike her....Let's not make stuff up.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
No, I don't think so, I think she just wanted to be back in the comfort of her own home(town).

That's really no excuse for blatantly disregarding the safety of your unborn child though.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I hate to defend that crazy....But, that woman has had 5 kids. I think she knows the routine well enough to decide for herself (and baby) how much time she has before she NEEDS to get to the hospital.

We have plenty of real reasons to dislike her....Let's not make stuff up.

I agree. When someone is going to go through something major like that, and they are scheduled to be home, I think they would prefer to go home.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
13 hours, though?

Most women are done giving birth after 13 hours, and she hadn't even gone to a hospital. That begins to blur the line between wanting to go to a familair hospital, and reckless neglect.

ESPECIALLY considering she was well aware that the child had a birth defect.

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
Some women go for days after water breaking, before they actually give birth.
She's had 5 kids, so she knows what's normal for her.
This is not for us to judge. At all.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow. I wasn't aware of this. That's really odd and a bit scary that her prioirities seem so mixed up.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been thinking this all week, Drew. The simple fact of the matter is a mother in labor shouldn't be thinking about a 8 hour flight, and most airlines wouldn't let someone in this condition even board. I can understand wanting your own doctor, but what she did was grossly irresponsible.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
This is not for us to judge. At all.

When the mother is a candidate for VP who is running on a platform of family values, then yes, we have every right to judge. Isn't that what we're doing when we pull the lever in November?

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
When the mother is a candidate for VP who is running on a platform of family values, then yes, we have every right to judge. Isn't that what we're doing when we pull the lever in November?

Please re-read my posts.
My point is: She actually knows the circumstances in this case. You do not.
This speculation is silly and insignificant, compared to her other numerous faults, and really just amounts to "making stuff up to trash her".
Let's not be petty, and stoop to the same trumped up crap that the republicans use on a daily basis.

She has plenty of REAL reasons to dislike her. On those merits, (or lack thereof) she will be judged, and will hopefully be sent packing in november.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Please re-read my posts.
My point is: She actually knows the circumstances in this case. You do not.
This speculation is silly and insignificant, compared to her other numerous faults, and really just amounts to "making stuff up to trash her".
Let's not be petty, and stoop to the same trumped up crap that the republicans use on a daily basis.

She has plenty of REAL reasons to dislike her. On those merits, (or lack thereof) she will be judged, and will hopefully be sent packing in november.

At the VERY least, it's a huge gaping gap in her judgement.

At the most, if she's touting her "pro life cred" because she didn't get an abortion even after she found out her baby had Down's syndrome (an argument her supporters have put forth), yet took actions that could have severly jeopardized the safety of the baby during the birthing process, I don't think it's totally off base to wonder if maybe she was sort of hoping for a bit of divine intervention here. I mean, it's not like she delayed an hour or two - she wasted half a day from the moment she entered labor to the moment she sought medical attention.

Again, this wouldn't be something I would speculate about if it wasn't something that potentially undercut a claim she made about her credentials for the job. She didn't abort the fetus, true, but she was pretty damned irresponsible about it when she entered labor.

bigheadood

Metallurgist
Reaction score
Ok, I will consent: Being so far away from her doctor, so close to her due date was a bad judgment call on her part. But let's not pretend we know more about labor than she does; unless you happen to be an obstetrician.

Do you think we should start an investigation into the exact circumstances of this case to determine whether or not she's a hypocrite?

She's Evangelical and Republican....Of course she's a hypocrite.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's also her fifth child... From my understanding, each subsequent birth usually goes smoother, with shorter labour. It really sounds to me like she was hoping the child wouldn't survive birth.

To my knowledge, most airlines will not let a woman fly if she's past 8 months due, unless there are truly extraordinary circumstances. Then again, the original post did say that the baby arrived prematurely. It didn't say just how premature. Still, going into early labour would be cause for most rational human beings to get their asses to a hospital ASAFP.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Still, Darren's right, of course - it's always the first labour that's the hardest on a woman. Subsequent ones get easier and easier.

And, once a baby enters the birth canal (i.e. - not after the contractions start, but once the baby begins to leave the uterus), you have a VERY finite amount of time to complete the delivery before oxygen depravation becomes an issue. It's the sort of thing where, especially with a premature baby that has Down's syndrom, you really don't want to fuck around and not seek immediate medical attention.

Had she started to give birth on the airplane or at the airport, and had the baby either entered the birth canal backwards or, god forbid, sideways, there's a very real chance it would have died in childbirth.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Like has been said, she has plenty of things about her to dislike.

But she knows her own body. After 4 other children, she knows how her birthing process is going to go. If she has a history of this kind of thing without incident, maybe she even had a doctor tell her it was safe to leave it for a while.

If there is one thing I resent, it's this: there's a lot of assumptions flying around about her attitude towards her children, and particularly her newborn child. I have this to say, and that's no matter how you judge someone's character in the rest of their life, judging their character towards their children is NOT for the general populace to debate, unless there is an obvious and serious problem that HAS incurred serious consequences. They're not our kids, it's not our job to judge the hearts of their parents, even if they are now public figures.

')