You know who I hate...

• Thread starter jaredowty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
...people that treat their musical opinions like they're facts, and that they're right and everyone else is wrong due to their "superior intellect".

Example: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=b9aa845d-f939-4852-bafb-6fafde90b163

I mean, I'm not a huge Tool fan, but I find everything he says to be absolutely ridiculous. Anyone else here strongly dislike elitists? The saddest thing of it all is that a lot of people agree with them.

It has to suck to be the kind of person that overanalyzes listening to music to the point where he can't even enjoy it anymore.

I'll gladly be a "cog" and keep on listening to stuff that I enjoy, regardless. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
Good points. That's the whole reason I have never been able to get into Tool very much. I like to have that sense of melodic storytelling in music, or if it's more simplistic, than to just be catchy, as opposed to trying to sound "different" for the sake of being different (my personal take on Tool).

But I love Meshuggah. Probably more so because they're metal, I think.

Different for the sake of being different? Meh, not really. Look at where they were in the beginning of their careers and then look at them now and all I see is huge maturity in song writing.

Yeah and that guy in the video is a tard.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not really that into Tool, but one of the guys in the band must have fucked this guy's girlfriend or something. He's pissed!

He had me in total agreement, until the tool part.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Different for the sake of being different? Meh, not really. Look at where they were in the beginning of their careers and then look at them now and all I see is huge maturity in song writing.
Notice that little part where I said "my personal take on Tool." ;)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
If it's just going to keep going down the opinion route than nothing will be learned from a discussion so nevermind.

That's not even the real issue. The issue was musical elitism, and my point tied in with that - ie., I'm not a Tool fan really, but in no way would I insult others or debate their preferences about Tool, or any other band. Like Chris said, listen to and enjoy the music you like, without being filtered by the preferences of others. Which is what Nik was alluding to as well.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
That's not even the real issue. The issue was musical elitism, and my point tied in with that - ie., I'm not a Tool fan really, but in no way would I insult others or debate their preferences about Tool, or any other band. Like Chris said, listen to and enjoy the music you like, without being filtered by the preferences of others. Which is what Nik was alluding to as well.

Yeah dude that's all good I just wanted to discuss what you said about being different to be different. I don't care that you like Tool or not but an innocent discussion about a statement you had I don't see any harm in that? But man no big I don't want this to get all crazy for no reason.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It has to suck to be the kind of person that overanalyzes listening to music to the point where he can't even enjoy it anymore.

I'll gladly be a "cog" and keep on listening to stuff that I enjoy, regardless. :)
Well said, Sausage link. I couldn't agree more.
I use to be pretty snobbish when it came to music. But as I grew, the more I just listened to what I like because I like it. Nothing more. I don't care if it's the "cool stuff" or whatever.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Well said, Sausage link. I couldn't agree more.
I use to be pretty snobbish when it came to music. But as I grew, the more I just listened to what I like because I like it. Nothing more. I don't care if it's the "cool stuff" or whatever.

I was the same way, if I told people I listen to death metal, adeian folk, rap and big band jazz (which I do, and much more then that) they would probab;y just look at me like this::spock: . But it's no difference to me, as long as they don't make me hear their Green Day, Good Charlette and Fall Out Boy because it's 'popular' I'll be ok.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
what a dickhead. He needs to get a life. If you hate the music don't listen to it then we don't need to hear yah bitch about it. Tool are an amazing band. Not the best, but pretty damn good. They're not where they are for no reason. :agreed:

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was the same way, if I told people I listen to death metal, adeian folk, rap and big band jazz (which I do, and much more then that) they would probab;y just look at me like this::spock: . But it's no difference to me, as long as they don't make me hear their Green Day, Good Charlette and Fall Out Boy because it's 'popular' I'll be ok.

Yep.
And I'm sure I'd get railed but most the members here because I really fucking dig Green Day. But you know what? I could give a crap. I like them. :yesway: :D Nobody told me to like them. For some reason I just do.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
wow. just finally listened to this guys rant.

call me a cog I guess...

odd it seems, that I was weaned on all things heavy, but these days I prefer to listen to TooL more than any other band, because I find many if not most offerings from "metal" bands to be full of cliche that I've heard time and time again, and I'm flat out bored with it. I check out new stuff when it comes out, but I've got a CD with all the TooL tracks in MP3 in my car, and I always seem to fall back on it.

please no hater chimes on this comment, because I know that there is good, new, fresh, original stuff out there, so I'm certainly not saying that all "metal" is cliche or boring...but TooL monotonous and boring? I'm going to have to heartily disagree at this path of thinking.

I love to analyze music, I love to pick apart what the individuals in a band are doing and how it fits together. TooL, IMO, just accomplishes what alot of other bands do in a different way, meaning MJK is the lead, the bass and guitar blend the rhythm aspect, while DC throws together kick-ass drum grooves. No lead guitar? so what...TooL's albums from a songwriting aspect always have different and fresh ideas, and while their stuff may not be for everybody, it's certainly more exciting than listening to a clock "tick tock."

As far as the "elitist" thing goes, any half-way-decent band that thinks they are cool will have people that like them for just that reason. welcome to the music biz. you can't go out and say, "hey, this is our album, sorry it sucks" and expect people not to think the same thing. perhaps he should be analysing Axl, I'm pretty sure most GNR songs were in 4/4, and nobody seems to be ragging on Appetite

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep.
And I'm sure I'd get railed but most the members here because I really fucking dig Green Day. But you know what? I could give a crap. I like them. :yesway: :D Nobody told me to like them. For some reason I just do.

I like Green Day, too. Especially the older stuff. (I dig American Idiot as well.)

Yeah dude that's all good I just wanted to discuss what you said about being different to be different. .
That's my take on them. :shrug:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Music is music.

To me if it is expressed with passion and inspiration I will at least give it a chance, regardless of the style classification. Sure, technical prowess is important to me, but it is not priority #1.

I could care less what people think. The only people in my life whose opinion matters are my wife and my son and both of them love music for music's sake. I refuse to raise my son with preconceived notions about one style being better than another. If he starts bobbing his head to something I wouldn't otherwise care for I will not change the channel or try to divert his attention. Who am I to tell him what to like or dislike?

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
His opinion means nothing to me. I like what I like. I'm not going to find some insanely complicated music that goes in and out of strange time signatures, various keys, and has incredibly complicated solos that bores me and listen to it just because it fits his criteria. If I like it, I like it. I don't put up rules for whether I'll like something before giving it a chance.

Reactions: XEN

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pfft, Tool's entire career has been built on an elaborate cult of intrigue and pretense. There are so many sycophantic "OMG CONECT TEH SPIRALS MAYNARD PWENS MY SOUL PINK FLOYD WTF>?!?!?!1111" that, while such abuse might me a waste of time, it certainly isn't unwarranted.

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll stimulate his mind when I do a big juicy poo on his forehead whilst tea bagging him

Muhahahha

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
what a dickhead. He needs to get a life. If you hate the music don't listen to it then we don't need to hear yah bitch about it.

If you don't like his video then don't watch it, then I don't need to read you bitching about it :fawk: But then I 'spose, if I don't like your opinion, I shouldn't read it, then I won't have to bitch about it....................:scratch: :fawk:

I totally get what he's digging at and it's his right to express it on his Myspace (Hispace?). He's got his opinion, you've all got yours and the internet world keeps expanding exponentially with pointless arguments and cat pictures :yesway:

')