You only get 5 extra notes on a 7 string.

• Thread starter GuyB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
On a 7 string you only get 5 extra notes, B,C,C#,D,D#.

Compared to a standard tuned 6 string, with the 7 string tuned standard B,E,A,D,G,B,E.

I've played 7 string for over 10 years, tuned E,A,D,G,C,F,Bb.

Yes, with a high treble string, but still only 5 extra notes compared to my 6 string.

I have to buy a special string for the high treble string.

I'm asking myself, is 7 string really worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
9b6.png

sleewell

Reaction score
I think there are some folks that actually effectively use the extra bits of a 7 string. There are also lots of people who would be just as fine on a 6 or bari 6 and that's totally fine too.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I only use the 4 lowest strings 99% of the time, but I just prefer the feeling of a 7 string when playing.
Same on bass; I often only use the 2 lowest strings, but 5 string basses just feels like home to me.

I do have a soft spot for a drop tuned 6-string though :) preferably in drop C or drop B.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The reason I stopped playing 6-strings is that with a 7-string I can play anything I want without having to switch guitars. Tune to drop A and you get 2 extra notes as mentioned. If you need more just buy an 8-string. :shrug:

GuyB

Reaction score
In almost every objective study performed in the past century, the 5 string guitar makes the most sense.
Have you got any links to studies with info about a 5 string, because I'm very interested.

jaxadam

Reaction score

BrutalRob

Reaction score
I can't be the only one on this site that only plays 6 strings... right?
Nope. I used to have 7 string guitars as well but realized that i only played 6 string stuff on them and for that, I could handle the 7 string neck worse. So i sold my 7 string guitars and stick to 6 strings.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I have three seven strings that never see the light of day after Korn dropped Life is Peachy.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
considering just triads alone, and there being inversions of each triad , just those 5 extra notes give an extra 15 chord voicings. if the triad was extend to a 4th or 5th note per chord, that increases to even more chords and voicings that can not be played on a 6 string. A seven string does have its unique qualities.

')