You only get 5 extra notes on a 7 string.

• Thread starter GuyB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Just like I said back in the late 90’s when the older crowd was griping about 7-strings, it’s not so much about the actual notes, but the feel of a 7-string. Tuning a 6-string the BEADGB feels entirely different than a 7-string to me, it’s mostly mental, but there ain’t much about guitar playing and our idiosyncrasies that isn’t mental.

And how ya gonna play Fear Factory’s “Descent” over and over but never really playing the whole song all the way through if you ain’t got 7-strings?

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
The advantage is that you have more range at any position on the fretboard that you would be playing in, so more range/options for chords and scales at any given time. Whether you want or need that is up to you, but it is pretty cool.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Its all about adding bass notes to chords for me. And the cool factor, of course.

Im more upset that Baritones are considered ERGs. They don't add any extra notes! And dont talk to me about low tunings. I'll put that Les Paul in F# all day long.

Reaction score
A full scale 7+1/2 octave piano has 88 keys, but then there isn't one single song that uses them all and still, no one complains about it. In fact, there are very few songs that actually use the extremes of the piano's full scale range when compared to those that simply use what range the songs need... and still, no one complains about it.

However, whenever some closed minded guitar player sees an extended range guitar, he rants all over the place about it... I wonder why...?

... and if banjos are still too much, one can always take ukulele lessons. Fun fact, ukuleles were first build by the Portuguese, aka cavaquinhos, and taken throughout the world by the 15th and 16th centuries as a small higher pitch "travel" guitar during the nations' first step into globalization. These "guitars" somehow gained affection by the indigenous people at the pacific islands by mid/late 19th century... wiki time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele

Regarding the 7 stringers, as @Choop said, and regarding also 7+ stringers, the biggest advantage is the range per hand position, either for chord or phrasing. It also brings a huge number of different chords to play with that weren't previously available or were harder to get to on 6 stringers. The +5 notes (or 6 or 7, depending on how one tunes the guitar) regarding a 6 stringer are a bonus, not the real deal or why these guitars were built in the first place. The fact that many prefer to run and live mostly on the 1st hand position (first frets) and lower strings doesn't deconstructs this argument.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that many prefer to run and live mostly on the 1st hand position (first frets) and lower strings doesn't deconstructs this argument.

t6gseCDDdqt3m7E5HLAWya.jpg

Aewrik

Reaction score
But if you drop tune the low string you actually get 7 extra notes.
And if you drop the sixth string and then drop the seventh string from that, you get 9 extra notes!
Nope. I used to have 7 string guitars as well but realized that i only played 6 string stuff on them and for that, I could handle the 7 string neck worse. So i sold my 7 string guitars and stick to 6 strings.
I was shopping around for a six string a while ago (because I'm one of those who don't really need the seventh string), but I feel like they're missing something, and for some reason the ones I tried (no prestiges) also felt quite chunky. I'm quite happy playing seven strings after all, even if I only use the seventh string sparingly.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
A full scale 7+1/2 octave piano has 88 keys, but then there isn't one single song that uses them all and still, no one complains about it. In fact, there are very few songs that actually use the extremes of the piano's full scale range when compared to those that simply use what range the songs need... and still, no one complains about it.

However, whenever some closed minded guitar player sees an extended range guitar, he rants all over the place about it... I wonder why...?

... and if banjos are still too much, one can always take ukulele lessons. Fun fact, ukuleles were first build by the Portuguese, aka cavaquinhos, and taken throughout the world by the 15th and 16th centuries as a small higher pitch "travel" guitar during the nations' first step into globalization. These "guitars" somehow gained affection by the indigenous people at the pacific islands by mid/late 19th century... wiki time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele

Regarding the 7 stringers, as @Choop said, and regarding also 7+ stringers, the biggest advantage is the range per hand position, either for chord or phrasing. It also brings a huge number of different chords to play with that weren't previously available or were harder to get to on 6 stringers. The +5 notes (or 6 or 7, depending on how one tunes the guitar) regarding a 6 stringer are a bonus, not the real deal or why these guitars were built in the first place. The fact that many prefer to run and live mostly on the 1st hand position (first frets) and lower strings doesn't deconstructs this argument.
what he said. yes

Robslalaina

Reaction score
An issue I've run into myself is that although in theory you can play on a 7 anything you'd play on a 6, I find some stuff harder to do on a 7 because of the bigger neck and additional string to mute. Not talking about powerchords here but let's say funk rhythm where you have to play like a C9 and add the sixth once in a while. There's no way I'll even bother playing that on a 7 because the stretch is harder and there's two unwanted strings I need to pay attention to. The simple answer to this is more guitars.

')