You only get 5 extra notes on a 7 string.

• Thread starter GuyB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I've mostly played 7 string for the last 10 years, tuned E,A,D,G,C,F,Bb, with a special high treble string.

I'm thinking of converting one of my 7 string guitars to a low string instead of a high treble.

My purpose in this post was asking fellow 7 stringers if it was worth changing for the extra 5 bass notes?

I'm nearly convinced, due to advantages in playing chords and positional playing, but I find 6 string much easier to play, having played guitar for over 45+ years.

You should totally convert one! If for nothing else than just to experiment -- it might get you inspired in a different way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
However, I was clearly making a light joking discussion about a very non-serious topic. So, clearly, the general "you" cannot make light of anything these days, even guitar playing or especially set theory. I'm sorry for trying to have a little bit of fun. Clearly that is not allowed.

Pick any Nobel Prize from the top shelf!

Reaction score
Infinite notes?

11-2800001366833_2.jpg
This needs multiscale...

My thread has been highjacked by irrelevant nonsense. I've been a member here for over 12 years, I was just asking relevent questions about 7 string guitars on a Sevenstring.org forum.
This is what happens when ideas aren't properly articulated/introduced in the opening post. You may be here for 12 years now but you aren't an active member as well... I'm not complaining, just making things clear "all cards on the table". Your original post didn't have any objective question, ws more about statements that everyone (well, most at least) already know.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My thread has been highjacked by irrelevant nonsense. I've been a member here for over 12 years, I was just asking relevent questions about 7 string guitars on a Sevenstring.org forum.
You've been a member here for 12 years and this surprises you?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
7 strings and above are totall worth it, imo. The major disadvantage to them is if you use the thumb over techinique a lot like if playing Hendrix songs etc. All that open positoin playing stuff is harder, sometimes impossible, imo, and can be a deal breaker if you really use that technique much. The thing is it seems every old school player uses open position a lot. Open position is the hardest to master, imo, and 7+ string make that really hard if using those techiniques.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
technically that's all you're adding as far as new notes, but don't discount having 19 notes that you already had access to available on an adjacent string

I'll put it this way: if I took away a string from your 6-string guitar, you can still play songs that didn't use the low E string, and you'd only be losing 5 notes, but there's much more missing than just those 5 notes once you try to play chords, arpeggios, triads, etc.

Chinookmark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Put it this way… you only get five extra notes, but the real benefit is that you get five extra notes in every position.

Instant baritone: drop the G string to F# and you’ve got a baritone guitar. This is my personal favorite. It seems more useful and colorful than the six string with some extra low notes.

You’ve got easy access to three full octaves with only small hand movements instead of a large position shift required on a six. Three octave arpeggios are relatively easy. I really like three note per string three octave scale exercises.

You’ve got an extra bass string if you wanted to drone an open string. Eg: you could drone I-IV-V in E in the same way you’d do in A on a six string.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What if you stuck with the 7-Strings, but tuned them in all M3rds (E,Ab,C,E,Ab,C,E)? then you'll have the same range as a 6-String, but on 7-strings.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It opens up different scales and chord shapes.
I have 6 strings in drop-D and a 6 string baritone in drop-A. Same shapes/intervals on both, just 5 notes lower on the baritone. But the difference in sound and feel between D and A is huge. I write stuff on the baritone I never would have on a standard.
I went with the 6 string baritone instead of a 7 string because I have a hard enough time keeping track of 6 strings. I can play them both exactly the same way but I get a different key and different open strings.

dspellman

Reaction score
On a 7 string you only get 5 extra notes, B,C,C#,D,D#.

I'm asking myself, is 7 string really worth it?
I asked myself the same question *before* I bought a 7 string.
Then I borrowed a 7 string for a while, then bought a cheap one.

My problem is that after having a 7 string tuned normally (the low B), I've gotten lazy -- I can easily hit that 7th string (and on mine, there are 24 notes/frets that I can access) when I'd otherwise be sliding toward the nut on the 6. And I can do chord inversions that just aren't possible on the 6. And I can arpeggiate those inversions in a lower voicing than with the 6. And so on.

My 7-string is *heavy.* It's a Les Paul-alike with a 27" scale. I'm actually looking at an 8-string, but that one's going to be headless. A shorter overall guitar that's lighter than the sixes I play now. And that one may be played in a more piano-like manner, with both hands on the fretboard. It's going to take a bit (okay, a lot) of practice, but I'll be able to do a lot of things that I just can't on a six.

GuyB

Reaction score
I asked myself the same question *before* I bought a 7 string.
Then I borrowed a 7 string for a while, then bought a cheap one.

My problem is that after having a 7 string tuned normally (the low B), I've gotten lazy -- I can easily hit that 7th string (and on mine, there are 24 notes/frets that I can access) when I'd otherwise be sliding toward the nut on the 6. And I can do chord inversions that just aren't possible on the 6. And I can arpeggiate those inversions in a lower voicing than with the 6. And so on.

My 7-string is *heavy.* It's a Les Paul-alike with a 27" scale. I'm actually looking at an 8-string, but that one's going to be headless. A shorter overall guitar that's lighter than the sixes I play now. And that one may be played in a more piano-like manner, with both hands on the fretboard. It's going to take a bit (okay, a lot) of practice, but I'll be able to do a lot of things that I just can't on a six.

Excellent stuff, your new guitar sounds like a good idea, I play mostly headless, best of luck with your adventure. :yesway:

')