You only get 5 extra notes on a 7 string.

• Thread starter GuyB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I'll elaborate since it's something that happens in both of my bands and yes the 7-string comes handy for that.

Let's say that you want to play a song in E2 standard (6-string), but the singer can't reach the highest notes comfortably. The most sensible option is to adjust the tuning to the range of the singer, but now you have a problem: You don't have a low Eb2. So, you'd be forced to go one octave higher (Eb3), and we all know the chuggs don't sound that good up there, don't they?

Or... you can get down to Eb2 in several ways: A pitch-shifter FX, a differently tuned guitar, OR playing that part in the 7th string.
Yeah, all that trouble so the singer won't have to work something out. It's just his voice that has to adapt, he won't have to buy anything... damn lazy guys... that's one of many reasons why psiorb is instrumental...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, all that trouble so the singer won't have to work something out. It's just his voice that has to adapt, he won't have to buy anything... damn lazy guys... that's one of many reasons why psiorb is instrumental...

I'm just gonna assume you're being sarcastic here... But people seem to have very strong opinions on singers and tunings, so who knows :shrug:

Last edited:

Stan P

Reaction score
An issue I've run into myself is that although in theory you can play on a 7 anything you'd play on a 6, I find some stuff harder to do on a 7 because of the bigger neck and additional string to mute. Not talking about powerchords here but let's say funk rhythm where you have to play like a C9 and add the sixth once in a while. There's no way I'll even bother playing that on a 7 because the stretch is harder and there's two unwanted strings I need to pay attention to. The simple answer to this is more guitars.
7th string gest in the way of some styles, but it’s not 100% showstopper. With a lighter technique these are manageable on 7, just not as comfortable. I sometimes use a mute under the 7th string, 1st fret. This way 7th string only sounds when it is fretted. This helps with some 6-compatibility.

I treat 7 string as a different instrument. Just having this resonating bass string and bigger neck changes how the entire instrument sounds. Also, somehow I cannot think of trem in a 7 string - tho many people use it and love it. For me - trem is for 6ers, piano like precision is for 7ers.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Those five extra notes sound different depending on where you play them on the fretboard. You only get five notes, but you unlock a TON of options.

')