You only get 5 extra notes on a 7 string.

• Thread starter GuyB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
I've persevered with the 7 string. Here's a video clip of my playing "All The Things You Are."

Thanks, I'm happy I persevered.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ross82

Reaction score
So when I tune my 6 string to F# F# B E G# C#, where does that leave us?

Max Cavalera played his 6 strings with only 4 strings on it, doesn't make six strings redundant. Steph Carpenter now plays all his stuff on 7 strings even though everything from White Pony and earlier is all "6 String" music.

I like 7's because it kills 2 birds with one stone and doesn't need a retune to get to a lower voicing.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
7o54y2.jpg

nickgray

Reaction score
Well, a 24 fret 6 string in standard tuning has 49 notes. 5 extra notes is almost 10% more notes. Not too shabby.

However, you also get an unbeatable 2-in-1 bargain - tune the 3rd string of a 7 string in B standard tuning half a step down and strings 2-7 are now tuned to a 6 string B standard exactly. Can a 6 string do that? Nope. Checkmate.

Reaction score
I thought someone would actually listen to my 7 string video and say what wonderful playing it was over a difficult Jazz standard, but alas no..........
1.gif

Well, you know most of the guys here are tuned into metal, right...?

GuyB

Reaction score
This whole thing was for yt clicks? I am unsurprised.
Yes, you're correct, I started this whole 8 page thread, so that two people would click on my youtube video.

This comment is called sarcasm.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I thought someone would actually listen to my 7 string video and say what wonderful playing it was over a difficult Jazz standard, but alas no..........
1.gif
This is the first time I've seen the video. Nice. Have you seen the Postlewate book?
… This comment is called sarcasm.
Let's get a little pedantic. Unless you intended to be derisive, cutting, etc. the correct word is "facetious".

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Im just impressed with the long game.

GuyB

Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen the video. Nice. Have you seen the Postlewate book?
Thanks, yes, I stole my whole technique from the Charles Postlewaste's book, not especially the legato Jazz runs.
mb98710_0.jpg

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
You only get dry trousers if you don’t piss yourself

Is the inconvenience of having to go to the bathroom really worth it?

Sorry, a little drunk right now

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
You only get dry trousers if you don’t piss yourself

Is the inconvenience of having to go to the bathroom really worth it?

Sorry, a little drunk right now

People be like you only need an AxeFX, no, you need a bathroom amp.

I might be drunker than you, but how many riffs have you wrote while pooping???

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
All the extra strings are unnecessary. Dude from presidents of the united states of America had the right idea but still has too many.

1686052259522.png

jonsick

Reaction score
Ooof being asked to justify why I have some 7 string guitars.

To be honest, I'm happiest on a 6 stringer. That's what I pick up almost every day.

I'm in a band with a female singer and her range is best suited to something lower tuning. While some opera singers would be fine, I had no intention of being Tarja-era Nightwish, not least attempting to find someone with that ability that wanted to be in a metal band. But, I still wanted to play solos. Hence, why I have a 7 string.

I have a few actually, the nicest being the E-II Arrow 7.

Were that band to explode, I doubt I would keep all of my 7s.

Reaction score
I don't get this argument of having a guitar to tune with the singer's range... It's either in tune or not. I don't care if my guitars are in the same range as the singer's, just that we are in tune... I tune in standard, my bassist tunes 1/2 step down... we play in tune...

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
Yeah, man, totally. I only play guitars with fifteen extra notes. Anything else is a waste of my time. Five extra notes are for people who eat crayons...

Stan P

Reaction score
On a 7 string you only get 5 extra notes, B,C,C#,D,D#.

Yes, with a high treble string, but still only 5 extra notes compared to my 6 string.

I have to buy a special string for the high treble string.

I'm asking myself, is 7 string really worth it?
it’s a personal preference … but on a 6 string tuned in 5ths your range exceeds 7 string, but playing chords is hard. 7 string guitar gives really convenient positions for wide chords and arpeggios for solo work. For rythm - you have a pumping pulsating thick string. It’s fun!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get this argument of having a guitar to tune with the singer's range... It's either in tune or not. I don't care if my guitars are in the same range as the singer's, just that we are in tune... I tune in standard, my bassist tunes 1/2 step down... we play in tune...

Ok, I'll elaborate since it's something that happens in both of my bands and yes the 7-string comes handy for that.

Let's say that you want to play a song in E2 standard (6-string), but the singer can't reach the highest notes comfortably. The most sensible option is to adjust the tuning to the range of the singer, but now you have a problem: You don't have a low Eb2. So, you'd be forced to go one octave higher (Eb3), and we all know the chuggs don't sound that good up there, don't they?

Or... you can get down to Eb2 in several ways: A pitch-shifter FX, a differently tuned guitar, OR playing that part in the 7th string.

Last edited:
')