"You play guitar!? Ooo. Play us a nice song!"

• Thread starter Webmaestro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chromaticdeath

Arpeggio Fom Hell
Reaction score
AC/DC - I fucking hate AC/DC, but nobody else does, apparently. Back in Black, or if you want to show off, Thunderstruck.

I hate them too, all their shit sounds the same and if you break each instument down, it's very basic but hey, each to their own

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
So I met fifty members of my girlfriend's/fiancee's family this past Thanksgiving, with most of the initial introductions while I was still in the kitchen making gravy and carving.

And then, as the day moved on, we all talked and interacted.

And then later, I pulled out the Rainsong.

"Do you know this song?"

I played everything from Hotel California to Rubber Duckie, Blind Faith to Raffi, La Bamba to Master of Puppets. Sometimes we knew the lyrics, sometimes we didn't and groped along together, laughing as we did so. I didn't know half the stuff I was asked to play, so I was winging it a lot, using knowledge of chord progressions and nothing fancy for that stuff. We ranged in age from 2 years old to 58, including metalheads and aging hippies.

And we had a great time. Everyone made me promise to bring a guitar when we meet at another house for Christmas.

As one of my old Northern Shaolin instructor used to shout at us...

"What are the two 'R's?"

"Reasons and results, sir!"

"Which is the only one which counts?"

"Results, sir!"

For not much effort, and with the willingness to fail, a great family celebration. I'm proud of that. It's funny to read of pride being used in the opposite direction...

Reaction score
At some point this had happened to me, but when I was younger, a teenager so to speak. I guess at that time I was more worried on pleasing people and feeling to be a part of the world...

I don't remember this happening after I grew up and turned more serious into music. When people brings a guitar I can give an oppinion about it, tune it, fix something and play whatever I wanna play just to test drive it. But if they want a full performance I tell them to go see my band on stage with a PA, lights, everything. And if I'm confident about the people surrounding me, I tell them that I charge to play, sort of a joke but on the other hand it's a reminder that what I do is not child's play nor hobbie. Most of them wouldn't like me to tell them "Hey, design me building just for fun", supposing that person is an architect for example.

The key thing is to play what you wanna play; don't play full songs (don't become the puppet of the party). Just test drive the guitar (You will enjoy playing something different to what you're used to), play some chords, solos, whatever. If you have a band or songs of your own you have the advantage to tell them you know no Dylan cause you play your own music.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I hate them too, all their shit sounds the same and if you break each instument down, it's very basic but hey, each to their own

The best songs are usually not too complex.

Most overly techincal songs sounds like somebody tried to polish a turd and made it sound even worse. ;)

AC/DC slays.

Thunderstruck is really easy to learn and sounds like a technical songs for noobs. Practice it slowly and you'll pick it up in no time. Recommend using a hardtail guitar if playing it.

I started learning Pretty Woman by Van Halen last night for such events :D

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The only time I don't really like it is when folks want to make requests and then get upset if you don't know the song... I went to a party this weekend actually and was asked to bring a guitar and so I did... There ended up being about 5 guitar players there actually and two of them would play some sort of rhythm and I would just play small lead lines here and there as I pleased. It was much more fun that way.

I think the reality of the situation is I don't really like being the only one playing :lol:

These folks were playing their own songs (at least I'd never heard them before) and I was just guessing at key signatures and playing around. Most of the open chord strummy stuff is in E A or D anyway... :shrug:

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
The only time I don't really like it is when folks want to make requests and then get upset if you don't know the song... I went to a party this weekend actually and was asked to bring a guitar and so I did... There ended up being about 5 guitar players there actually and two of them would play some sort of rhythm and I would just play small lead lines here and there as I pleased. It was much more fun that way.

I think the reality of the situation is I don't really like being the only one playing :lol:

These folks were playing their own songs (at least I'd never heard them before) and I was just guessing at key signatures and playing around. Most of the open chord strummy stuff is in E A or D anyway... :shrug:

The worst is when yoiu play with people that don't "improv" on a regular basis. Start playing my own thing to a song that they are playing and then they stop and look at you because you aren't playing their song note-for-note. Dude, I don't know what you are playing, just go with it. people are enjoying themselves.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Luckily they allowed it. All I do is improv really. There was one person there trying to learn their songs from them note for note while they were playing and got left behind... Improv lets me just jump in where I fit in...

Another thing I don't like about playing in front of people in a casual setting is that you almost always get someone that wants you to teach them right then and there. Kinda kills the fun for me.

Happens at Guitar Center a lot too... I'll be trying out an amp and all of a sudden someone comes from across the store.

"Dude... Can you teach me how to sweep?"

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Worst I've had this was on the Underground in London, on my way home after a day of work then 4 hours in rehearsal studio. 2 fucktards spent the entire journey trying to get me to play something, including offering me money to do so ("I'll pay you 20 English pounds*".... Condescending bell-end. I did ask him what other pounds he usually worked in. I might look like a hairy homeless immigrant but I'm very English, and very employed). I was impressed that I remained relatively polite, mainly because the more they asked the less likely I was to do anything.

Only about 3 weeks ago, too.

*It got to around 70 quid by the end but once I've made my mind up that's it.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Worst I've had this was on the Underground in London, on my way home after a day of work then 4 hours in rehearsal studio. 2 fucktards spent the entire journey trying to get me to play something, including offering me money to do so ("I'll pay you 20 English pounds*".... Condescending bell-end. I did ask him what other pounds he usually worked in. I might look like a hairy homeless immigrant but I'm very English, and very employed). I was impressed that I remained relatively polite, mainly because the more they asked the less likely I was to do anything.

Only about 3 weeks ago, too.

*It got to around 70 quid by the end but once I've made my mind up that's it.

My fun on public transport.

"D'you play guitar?"

"What? No, this is a set of bagpipes." // "No, I carry a case around to look cool." // "Yes." *headphones in.* // *look around frantically* "How'd you guess?" // "Play? PLAY??? OTHER BANDS PLAY, MANOWAR KILLS!:hbang:"

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The funniest thing I think I've ever seen is one time my friend was walking around campus with a guitar. A lady walked up to him and said "Oh a guitar! What do you play?"

He looked at her with a straight face and said... "Guitar."

Then he just kept walking. :lol:

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
I'm the sort who likes to interact, the one who asks cashiers how their day is going *and* listens to the answer, who doesn't mind interacting with people, and who doesn't find it bothersome that with no effort at all I can make someone's day better.

I like that so many people here earn so much more than me, and therefore are ready to ignore people and/or put them in their places for having the temerity to be friendly, and therefore to waste people's valuable time.

Funnier still... this all reads like those topics which pop up about how people working in different guitar shops think they're superior and therefore act like douchebags...

Dooky

Reaction score
There are two songs I usually play in this situation that never fail.
Mr Big - To be with you. Pretty much everyone knows this song and loves singing along to it. I always learnt the solo which people who know nothing about guitar/music thinks amazing (I must admit, it is a pretty tasty solo though).

Extreme - More Than Words. I actually really enjoy playing this song. It has cool finger picked chord progressions. It's also another one of those songs that most people know and like to sing along to.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
When were salaries mentioned and why do you sound so bitter?

I figured, since people were so focused on not wasting their valuable time on people who were genuinely interested in hearing them play, that the value of their time arose because of their pay rate.

I'm not bitter, incidentally. It's funny that you'd think someone who loves interacting with others, and who has a great time making music with anyone and everyone, would be bitter, and that those who are intent on putting others in their place are happy. *laugh* I'm glad I measure bitterness and happiness by another rubric...

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
I figured, since people were so focused on not wasting their valuable time on people who were genuinely interested in hearing them play, that the value of their time arose because of their pay rate.

I haven't been following the thread for the last few pages, but I don't really recall the 'waste of time' being what anyone was complaining about. Moreso that most of us just don't know appropriate material / can't play random guitars :lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Or just don't always feel like playing. God forbid.

*Meets a pro wide receiver*

"Ooooh! Go long! Can I throw you a pass?"

C'mon man...

Just bc you do it doesn't mean you want to all the time on command. :2c:

Also, you've been a real jackass lately, Explorer. The tone of your writing is what made you sound like a bitter little bitch not the fact that you like playing w other ppl and assume others don't. Nice try though. I used to think you actually made good points. Now you just grasp at straws.

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
bit of a bump but ....

i like pulling this out:

easy to play and sing at the same time. Plus the lyrical content kinda makes people cock their head when they start to comprehend it.

Last edited:

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I usually start with something like The Loss and Curse of Reverence or Curse You All Men. If they can sit through that, I will play them something they want to hear lol.

')