"You play guitar!? Ooo. Play us a nice song!"

• Thread starter Webmaestro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
What's the problem with just learning some acoustic stuff?

I don't even know how someone can manage to play guitar more than a couple years and only play metal

It happens, IT DEFINITELY HAPPENS.
Simply because for many reasons people do not have interest.

When it happens, I take the guitar with loads of enphasis, sit down and start fingering a C chord, which will take me like 2 minutes, then will hit some downstrokes paying much attention to not fret the fingers well, put out the tongue, change to some kind of B7 with a couple of wrong notes and another 2 badly fretted, give some downstrokes resembling rakes, sweat a lot, try to break a string with hard picking. :shred:
Soon people will say it's ok, it must be tiring.
When they do, I say it's ok, then play some 2-3 well executed arpeggios, a little lead and say: "too bad I had just warmed up" then hand the guitar back :fawk: :agreed:

Point is, 95% of the times, no one wants you to hear you play, 99% of the times people will be happy with what you play, sooooo...pull their legs

colortwelve

Professional Anime
Reaction score
In my experience as another ....ing college student who plays guitar, stuff like "What I Got" by Sublime, "Float On" by Modest Mouse, and "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel are all decent options that aren't quite as douchey as the standard radio song repertoire.

broj15

Reaction score
it's even worse when you've ruined yourself by playing exclusively in open tunings for the past 2 years and someone hands you a guitar tuned to drop or standard

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
Where I work now has recently learned that I play & I get 'bring your guitar in a play for us' etc...............

...............the thing is, I play metal....................

..............the other thing is, I work at an aged care facility.

There's gonna be alot of broken bones & heart failures if they start getting into it.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Where I work now has recently learned that I play & I get 'bring your guitar in a play for us' etc...............

...............the thing is, I play metal....................

..............the other thing is, I work at an aged care facility.

There's gonna be alot of broken bones & heart failures if they start getting into it.

Do it anyways. It worked for Revocation...

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
A simple "No thanks, I'd rather not." would stop this in its tracks pretty readily, at any rate, it has for me.

By picking up a guitar (or any other instrument) and learning to play it you didn't also agree to perform for any person who asked, you're under no obligation to do so.

If someone thrusts a guitar into your hands, hand it back, or put it down.
If you don't want to play, don't play. Easy.

The only reason a lot of people seem to get goaded into playing for others even when they don't actually want to is because they're afraid that the person asking will think they can't actually play, and that's ridiculous. :lol:

')