Your Amp History

• Thread starter ShadyDavey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I've had a plethora of shitty amps only a couple good ones..

The List:

1)Peavey Rage 158
2)Peavey Bandit(before I realized greater wattage =/= greater tone) used this the longest of all the amps i've had.
3)Microcube(bit the dust)
4)Marshall MG 100 combo

5)not an amp... but I had a Line 6 POD X3 Live running into a Rocktron Poweramp and into a Behringer 4x12.

6)Vox Valvetronix XL-50 Watt 2x12 combo. I had sold my poweramp and cab to help pay a hostpital bill but I had a few gigs coming up so I traded the POD for this. Bad move, miss the pod... Still have this amp for late night jamming.

7)Peavey Vypyr 15. had it for a year, had some family visiting and my cousins youngest child tripped over the power cord and spilled soda in the back of the amp. so it no longer works. it's a shame. the vypyr's are GREAT little practice amps.

8)Mesa Mark V into Orange 2x12
9)Peavey 6505+ into mesa 2x12(traded the MkV+Orange2x12 for this)

Sold the 6505+ and am selling the 2x12 to my local guitar store on consignment as I wanted a more versatile head and I wanted a 4x12.

which leads to...

10)Blackstar HT-100 head(soon to come) into a still to be determined 4x12.

I really dig the versatility of my friends HT-60 combo but the speaker blackstar puts in their HT combos/cab kinda sucks, so i'm looking around for a low priced cab that is durable and sounds nice. May buy a used Mesa 4x12...

I'll probably pick up a Blackstar Series One 100 sometime in the not so near future as i've heard great things about it, and IME Blackstar makes great amps..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Ibanez 10 watt practise amp

Line 6 Spider II 75 watt

Line 6 Spider II 150 watt head with a Crate undersized 4x12.

Randall RM100 with aforementioned Crate cabinet (not the cabinet was borrowed, I would never make the mistake of buying that specific cabinet, the friend I borrowed it off spent two years trying to sell it).

Randall RM100 with Rivera Knucklehead 4x12A.

MesaENGR412

#3 Forever
Reaction score
BBC Top Gear is my favorite show....period. Anyway, on to the amps!

1) Kustom KLA20 20-watt practice amp (still own!)
2) Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT275 stereo Combo - Sold shortly after getting:
3) 2005 Mesa Triple Rectifier (Custom ordered with Black Diamond plate/Chrome Chassis) and Rectifier Standard Straight front/Angled Baffle 4x12 - bought new - sold to fund 5 & 6
Added second Rectifier Standard Straight Front/Angled Baffle 4x12 - bought used - sold to fund 5 & 6
4) 2002 Peavey 5150 II ( bought used in 2009 - sold to other guitarist to fund 5 & 6, who sold it for a Mesa DR, now owned by a guitarist for Thick As Blood)
5 & 6) 2010 Multi-Watt Mesa Dual Rectifiers (x2) in Custom Hot White Bronco, Black Diamond Plate, chrome knobs, purple jewels. One 6L6, one EL-34. Matching Hot White Bronco Mesa Rectifier Standard 4x12's (x2) with Black Jute Grills, and Celestion V30/C90's in "x" patterns - couldn't be happier with these

-AJH

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Fender Frontman 15W. Everyone's little starter amp. Bought a Boss MD-2 distortion, which I still have for it - I do rather like the basis of the tone it puts out. Passed on to a friend when she started playing and I got a..

Marshall MG30DFX. Probably shouldn't have bothered, really, the high gain settings really have no punch or body and don't respond well to the pedal, so I'm back to using the clean setting with the pedal in front.

So I'm looking for something better now. My friend found a Mesa Mark III SimulClass combo with some cosmetic wear on evilBay for $899 which I'm considering now, though it seriously outclasses my skills (I'm space restricted at school, and I have absolutely no use for a larger setup). Is that a good price?

fallenz3ro

Reaction score
1. BC Rich 10 Watt Practice Amp
2. Randall RG75
3. Peavey 5150
4. Peavey JSX
5. Peavey 6505+
6. VHT Pittbull 50/CL
7. ENGL Powerball
8. Mesa Mark IV
9. VHT Pittbull 100/CL
10. Framus Cobra
11. and 12. FJA Modded 5150 II and Peavey Valveking
13. VHT Pittbull 50/CL Again
14. Soldano Avenger
15. VHT Pittbull UL
16. AxeFX -> VHT 2902

Mettle209

Reaction score
My amp history:

(1) Of course, like most noobs, I started with a SS amp. Sadly at the time, I thought Marshall SS amps were the best so I bought a Marshall MG250DFX 2x12 Combo and boy was that a big disappointment.

(2) Left SS amps and never looked back. First tube amp purchase was a RI 65 Fender Twin Reverb and fell in love with the clean. Just recently sold it.

(3) Somehow, I got the crazy idea to just sitck with combo amps due to size and portability so I bought a Mesa Rect-o-Verb Series 2 1x12 Combo amp. Shortly after, I bought a Mesa Roadster 2x12 Combo amplifier and that thing was heavier than anything I have ever had. The whole size and portability advantage of having a combo amplifer went out the door after the Roadster purchase. I just sold both these amps recently too.

(4) At this time, I decided to go with the head and 2x12 cabinet route so I purchased a Mesa Dual Rectifier Series 2 Head with a Mesa 2x12 Rectifier cabinet and never went back to combos.

(5) That progression eventually lead me to where I am now with six amp heads (Mesa Dual rectifier, 2 x Mesa Mark IV B one Long and one short, Mesa Tremoverb early version, Peavey 6505+, and a Marshall JCM 800 2205. For cabinets, I have (2) 2x12 Mesa Rectifer Cabinets and (1) 4x12 Oversized Recitifer Cabinet.

(6) The few amps that I would like to have in the near future are (1) Bogner Uberschall, (2) Diezel VH4, (3) Peavey 5150 Block Letters, (4) Mesa Mark IV Version A, and (5) ENGL Savage. An Axe-FX would also be nice too.

My advice is whatever amp you come across, don't babysit it too long if you are not happy with it. Just sell or trade it and move on to find that tone you want.

Mettle209

Reaction score
So I'm looking for something better now. My friend found a Mesa Mark III SimulClass combo with some cosmetic wear on evilBay for $899 which I'm considering now, though it seriously outclasses my skills (I'm space restricted at school, and I have absolutely no use for a larger setup). Is that a good price?

Red Stripe? Blue Stripe? You might want to check this link out:

Mark III Stripe/Dot History

2010 Multi-Watt Mesa Dual Rectifiers (x2) in Custom Hot White Bronco, Black Diamond Plate, chrome knobs, purple jewels. One 6L6, one EL-34. Matching Hot White Bronco Mesa Rectifier Standard 4x12's (x2) with Black Jute Grills, and Celestion V30/C90's in "x" patterns - couldn't be happier with these

How do you like those new Mutli-Watt Mesa DRs? How do they compare to the older DRs?

9)Peavey 6505+ into mesa 2x12(traded the MkV+Orange2x12 for this)

Really? You traded a Mesa Mark V Head + Orange 2x12 for a Peavey 6505+ amd Mesa 2x12? I would trade you in a heart beat.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I'm not going to list all of the various tiny practice amps I've had lying around for a long time, so here we go with just my main amps

I bought this one from Sam Goody :lol:
DV019_Jpg_Regular_481120.767_camo.jpg

and then this that a friend gave me
peavey-bandit-112.jpg

and then I sold that and traded my Agile Oceanburst 8 string for this
LS100.jpg

and this cab
634199794629294823.jpg

then not too long after that I bought this head
GT3500H_Stack-1-dfdd0f5b9a3f42316b323530f2194128.jpg

and then I bought this cab
b-52-at-412-b.jpg

and then I bought this head
2042_1_lg.jpg

and shortly after I got this cabinet to go with it
280156565059-1.jpg

^That's a 2x15

I sold the B52 head a while ago, and I sold the B52 cab last week, and the same day I traded/sold the Crate head.
And pretty soon, I'll be getting in the mail, one of these bad s.o.b.s
sunnfront.jpg

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Red Stripe? Blue Stripe? You might want to check this link out:

Mark III Stripe/Dot History

I can't quite tell. And since I can't grab the image URL from the eBay pictures, have the auction link, what the hell: Mesa Boogie Mark III SimulClass Combo | eBay

It's labelled as a SimulClass which would make it a #5/green but that mark sure looks black to me, if that's the mark I'm supposed to be looking for.

EDIT: Ah, damn that's a small mark. Looks like a black dot, which'd make iat a #1.

jcgss77

Reaction score
1) 10 watt no-name that came with my equally junk BC Rich Bronze Mockingbird-good learning experience though

2) Crate 15 watt with no distortion(I think) + a Boss DS-1 and I thought I was playing metal... but I really dig Crate clean tone

3) Marshall MG15-CD

4) Behringer 15 watt-my worst amp and I still have it-This one is getting a new preamp-has the worst digital pre I have ever heard

5) Ibanez TB100H+A412C-Wish I never sold this-it did not suffer the high gain noise lots of these amps have

6) Crate G40-C-Still trying to get this to work right-a most awesome Chorus amp

7) Kustom K250-B-by far the MOST crystal clear amp I have ever played-bought it for $10 at a thrift shop and proceeded to fry it within a week-now in pieces until I find the proper blown parts...:noplease:

8) Ibanez TB100H+S412C-not the same Ibby I had before-this one suffers from the typical tone blaster gain noise :realmad:

Never owned a tube amp...but played a few and found them...uninspiring... only played Fenders and Line 6's(I know, they are not really tube amps)

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Really? You traded a Mesa Mark V Head + Orange 2x12 for a Peavey 6505+ amd Mesa 2x12? I would trade you in a heart beat.

Sorry, just seen this post. lol

my reply is yes, really.

But, only because it was to the other guitarist in my band. I liked the Mark V, but I sucked at dialing in a good HEAVY tone.. I still get to play it a lot, actually.. and I was into the 6505 tone more at the time. lol so it really wasn't a big deal. Just played through it the other day, actually. :D

The plus of that deal is, I would kick myself in the nuts if I traded it off to someone I barely or never even talk to/ jam with. and because it's still right here like 6 blocks away from me, I can play it any day of the week, if I want. haha

Kind of looking into getting an amp I think will finally end my gear swapping thing i've been going on anyway... that amp being: the ENGL Invader, seems like the tone i've been looking for.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
1. Watson 15 watt combo. Sold it to a friend and then he lost it,lol

2. Marshall AVT50 and valvestate cab

3. JCM900 2100 head

4. ADA MP-1 and Peavey Classic Poweramp

5. Laney VH100R

6. Engl Powerball

7. Laney VC50. Big mistake

8. Randall T2 w/ George Lynch Cab

9. Marshall JVM4100 w/ GL cab then a Martamp 2 x 12

10. Jet City JRC2112

I didn't realise till now just how much I've gone through :lol:

I ended up with a Jet City combo because I'm not in a band and I don't need a big 100 watt head, just something to use at home and the occasional jam (it still keeps up with a loud drummer).

Last edited:

Ketzer

Good news, everyone!
Reaction score
Started on bass.

1. Crate BX-15. Gave to a friend

2. Behringer bass combo, forget what it was. Traded it away.

3. Rogue RG120S. Not a bad amp for $150, was loud as all hell, I used a Rocktron Metal Planet in front of it. :lol: Sold it.

4. Peavey Supreme with matching cab. Traded it for my first tube amp.

5. Crate Vintage Club 30. Traded it for...

6. Peavey Triumph 60 (Modded it, still own it.)

7. Peavey 5150II, got my Peavey MS412 cab a little bit afterwards. Traded the head for...

8. Madison Divinity II. Sold it.

9. Marshall VS8100. Sold it.

10. Peavey Classic 30. Sold it.

11. Engl E530.

12. Blackstar HT-5 recieved in a trade. traded it for a...

13. Pod Pro + also some other stuff.

14. ENGL E530. + Randall RMM-2-250 power amp.

Sold the Randall power amp when I bought...

15. Mesa 50/50 Stereo

(Here, I bought a second Triumph 60, A/B'd them, and then sold the one I'd just bought, my modded one was better :D)

Traded the Engl pretty recently for a...

16. Modded Soldano SP-77 Preamp. Still own this.

Traded the Mesa 50/50 recently for a...

17. Mesa Simul-Class 295.

I currently run the Soldano pre and the mesa power through the cab I got back when I got my 5150 (412MS w/ Celestion G12K-85s)

I keep the triumph in my computer room for jamming on when I'm waiting for a starcraft game to load or watching a TV show.

I've also got a (18.) Sunn SB160 and a (19.) Peavey Data Bass 400 for bass jam times.

...That's a lot of crap.

Ketzer

Good news, everyone!
Reaction score
Started on bass.

1. Crate BX-15. Gave to a friend

2. Behringer bass combo, forget what it was. Traded it away.

3. Rogue RG120S. Not a bad amp for $150, was loud as all hell, I used a Rocktron Metal Planet in front of it. :lol: Sold it.

4. Peavey Supreme with matching cab. Traded it for my first tube amp.

5. Crate Vintage Club 30. Traded it for...

6. Peavey Triumph 60 (Modded it, still own it.)

7. Peavey 5150II, got my Peavey MS412 cab a little bit afterwards. Traded the head for...

8. Madison Divinity II. Sold it.

9. Marshall VS8100. Sold it.

10. Peavey Classic 30. Sold it.

11. Engl E530.

12. Blackstar HT-5 recieved in a trade. traded it for a...

13. Pod Pro + also some other stuff.

14. ENGL E530. + Randall RMM-2-250 power amp.

Sold the Randall power amp when I bought...

15. Mesa 50/50 Stereo

(Here, I bought a second Triumph 60, A/B'd them, and then sold the one I'd just bought, my modded one was better :D)

Traded the Engl pretty recently for a...

16. Modded Soldano SP-77 Preamp. Still own this.

Traded the Mesa 50/50 recently for a...

17. Mesa Simul-Class 295.

I currently run the Soldano pre and the mesa power through the cab I got back when I got my 5150 (412MS w/ Celestion G12K-85s)

I keep the triumph in my computer room for jamming on when I'm waiting for a starcraft game to load or watching a TV show.

I've also got a (18.) Sunn SB160 and a (19.) Peavey Data Bass 400 for bass jam times.

...That's a lot of crap.

Zeff

Reaction score
1. Small 30 watt Crate solid state practice amp

2. Carvin SX100 212 combo amp

3. Legend rock n roll 50 combo (still own)

4. Carvin MTS 100

5. Carvin SX200

6. Peavey 5150 II (stolen)

7. Krank Krankenstein

8. Engl Invader 100

9. FJA modded 6505 (trying to sell)

10. Carvin V3 (still own)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
1) Fender starter kit practice amp

2) no amp, a gnx3k through my bass amp (fender BXR, I gave the starter amp to a friend with the strat)

3) Mesa Mark V. Haven't needed anything else since.

mayx

Reaction score
1. Marshall MG 15 with a Zoom 707 II, got really good tones out of it! i still use when i'm home!
2. Randall RH200 G2 the old silverface version, i hate myself for letting this one go, i used it for 3 years, such a great amp!
3. Engl Invader 100, bought it when it came out in june 2007, worked my ass off the summer before to get this amp, but it was so worth it, best amp i've ever played!
4. Sponge Bob battery amp with Sponge Bob Guitar, it was a birthday present from my friends
5. 1977 Fender Bassman 50 with a 2x15 cab, that's the best clean sound ever, with the 2x15 cab you get a really good 3D sound, i hate this amp on a 4x12 totally ruins the overtones, the amazing bass range and the 3D image of it! it's such a beautiful clean tone!
6. Pocket POD, just for silent practicing
7. Axe Fx 2, on the way

BabUShka

Reaction score
1. Marshall MG15. Still have this amp at my appartment.. Sounds like crap.. I use a POD XT into the Line in, sounds pretty smooth actually..

2. ENGL Fireball: with H&K 412 V30.. My first tube amp, had it for 2 years before I sold it. Sick barstard amp, but a bit too one-trick-pony and i also found other things that I didnt like about it over the years.. Like the harshness, scooped mids ++ Still, it sounds brutal at its own. Guitar > amp > cab

3. Marshall JVM head + Framus 212 V30. Amazingly versatile and brutal sounding amp.. Something inbetween Mesa and JCM800, love it.. Use it with a TS9 for ekstra spicy sound.

4. I am building myself a 15-18w 6V6 tube amp from MadAmp with american brownface voicing, trebleboost, bassboost, fatboost, f.x-loop +++ all in one amp.. Hope to wire it as soon as possible. I've soldered the preamp and poweramp, but the shitty work remains.. Lots of cables...

5. Had a lot of multi FX from Korg, Line6 and more..

')