Your fav 7 string body wood?

• Thread starter Dumple Stilzkin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Christopher said:
If you're going Carvin, I'd go mahagony body sides with a maple neck or mahagony neck and body sides with a maple top. Or, if you're into the look, an all Koa would be about as warm as you get!

Too warm - Jacksonplayer here had one, and it didn't have ANY attack. Very smooth, but it made mahogany seem aggressive.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
all of my Carvins are Mo-hog-any with Maple Neck thru's..seem to work well for me tuned to low A. and putting :yesway: Birdseye maple fret boards :yesway: on them help lean out the bassy ness you get from Mo-hog-any!! plus Cleans seem brighter to me when Unplugged too! :scratch:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jerich said:
all of my Carvins are Mo-hog-any with Maple Neck thru's..seem to work well for me tuned to low A. and putting :yesway: Birdseye maple fret boards :yesway: on them help lean out the bassy ness you get from Mo-hog-any!! plus Cleans seem brighter to me when Unplugged too! :scratch:

My Washburn has a mahogany body with a maple neck and board - it's a good tonal combination.

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
maple through, with rose wood fret board and alder sides. personally, maple alder and rosewood are one of the best sounding wood combos out there.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
thepunisher said:
maple through, with rose wood fret board and alder sides. personally, maple alder and rosewood are one of the best sounding wood combos out there.

:agreed: You just named my main seven.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jerich said:
Jerich, How many other Carvins do you own? I'd like to see the other ones. :D

VforVendetta00

Reaction score
i like alder with maple necks, but i went with ebony neck and swamp ash for my ergo, it sits in the middle between alder and mahogany and it has a much nicer grain than both of em. my new KXK is gonna be mahogany body and maple neck through cause the maple is bright enough already and i needed something to balance it out, specially since i will be using a X7N (i know its not its official name but its cooler) :D

ibanez.shredder

Reaction score
Basswoods my favorite. Id get a maple neck, rosewood fretboard, basswood sides and and a flamed maple top (1/8th of inch or thicker). basswood with a maple top is the penultimate tone wood selection :D

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
Mahogany body with a maple top with direct mount pups. It has been the best balance of tone, point of attack and dynamic range I have found.

Maple or mahogany necks will work equally as well with that combo.

Good luck!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, I have yet to try one, but listening to my strat tuned down to B has me firmly convinced that alder would absolutely own for a 7. Great attack, plenty of bass, but good upper midrange and high end means a deep, resonant, and defined tonal machine. :D

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
noodles said:
:agreed: You just named my main seven.

I like the sharp, airy top of an ebony board, personally, but otherwise, yeah.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
I like the sharp, airy top of an ebony board, personally, but otherwise, yeah.

Being that I didn't have $3600 lying around to order a custom shop model, I figured I could live with rosewood. :D

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
If you're going to get a neck through guitar, I'd worry more about the neck wood. All your points of string contact (nut, bridge, frets) are going to be on that piece of wood, as well as your pickups. The neck wood on a neck through guitar can have a greater influence on the sound than a bolt on.

If you get a maple neck through with mahogany body sides, it's not going to sound like a mahogany guitar, it'll sound more like a maple guitar; brighter, snappier, twangier. If you want a mahogany sound, I'd get a mahogany neck and body sides.

The cool thing about Carvin is that they give you the option of a few different neck woods.

Myself, I like the sound of my mahogany bodied Schecter the best of any seven I've tried, but pickups are vitally important to that equation. I would love to hear what a swamp ash bodied seven would sound like, though. I'll bet it would sound fantastic, swamp ash can be a very lively sounding wood. Alder is good too. Does Carvin still offer alder necks? My most recent catalog doesn't list it as an option.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Mind Riot said:
If you're going to get a neck through guitar, I'd worry more about the neck wood. All your points of string contact (nut, bridge, frets) are going to be on that piece of wood, as well as your pickups. The neck wood on a neck through guitar can have a greater influence on the sound than a bolt on.

If you get a maple neck through with mahogany body sides, it's not going to sound like a mahogany guitar, it'll sound more like a maple guitar; brighter, snappier, twangier. If you want a mahogany sound, I'd get a mahogany neck and body sides.

The cool thing about Carvin is that they give you the option of a few different neck woods.

Myself, I like the sound of my mahogany bodied Schecter the best of any seven I've tried, but pickups are vitally important to that equation. I would love to hear what a swamp ash bodied seven would sound like, though. I'll bet it would sound fantastic, swamp ash can be a very lively sounding wood. Alder is good too. Does Carvin still offer alder necks? My most recent catalog doesn't list it as an option.
while logical, i'd disagree about neck wood being the most important, but strictly based on my own personal experience, that being of my washburn EC-29 with mahogony body and maple neck and neck through, and my rhoads v, being alder body, maple neck through, both with rosewood fingerboards, both with dimarzio x2n's... the biggest difference is that the rhoads is tune-o-matic and the washburn has an edge. but both of the guitars bridge posts go through the wings of the body, not the neck wood, which is incredibly common amongst neck through guitars(although i know i've seen one guitar on here thats neck was wide enough through the body that the tremelo posts did rest in it instead of the wings), and the Rhoads V has a vastly different tone from the washburn, the washburn being very bassy, not incredibly bright, and the rhoads v being much more balanced, but with a bit more brightness to it... if the neck was the most important factor then both of those guitars would have very similar tones, as they are very similar construction....

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
You also have to take the shape of the body in mind when making these comparisons, Elysian. I have a Rhoads and a Soloist, with the exact same construction and wood selection, but they sound very different. There isn't a lot of material behind the bridge on a V, while there is a load of it on a Strat shape. This is why a V has so much more bite. Contrast this with a Les Paul, with all that wood around the bridge, which gives it all that thickness and lack of treble bite.

')