Your favorit food to cook when impressing a chick?

• Thread starter Tordenguden
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Also, learn how to toss in a pan. It's really easy to do and chicks go absolutely nuts when they see you do it instead of using a spoon to stir everything. It rocks!

:agreed: It's tough to describe, so maybe you need to get someone how to show you how to do it, but only communists and terrorists stir with spoons.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
the last time i tryed to seriously cook was last march, and i ended up cutting the pinky on my picking hand 3/4 the way off, cutting tendons, artery, and nerve, so i kinda let my wife cook :)

wow...

Do you cut your sandwich meat with one of these?

chainsaw.JPG

:lol:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Eric's general rules of cooking to impress. :D

First stick with dishes you've made before and know you won't screw up. Trying to make some exotic French dish for the first time for your date is a bad idea. Stick with what you know.

Know your date. If she's allergic to anything or won't eat certain things this is damn good information to have. Making your vegan girlfriend a cheeseburger is a less than slick move.

Keep it simple. Some cuisines like French food have lots of tedious steps and are time consuming.Save that for later. Italian and a lot of Asian food is pretty simple really and can be done quickly, yet still seems fairly sophisticated. So find a nice simple but elegant recipe and run with it.

Remember her tastes are not the same as yours. I can make killer homemade salsa. But I like it pretty hot. Sadly the rest of my friends and family, for the most past, disagree. So when I make it for parties, I tone it down a bit. OK I tone it down a lot. But unless you know your date well enough to know he toleration for hot foods or a particularly strong ingredient you might want to back off a bit. But you can always leave the options for her to add more of something at the table.

Get some plates. Borrow if you have to. A well set table makes you like you have a clue. Serving the best meal ever on paper plates and with your stash of Taco Bell napkins is not as cool as you think it is.

Learn to shop. All the kitchen skills in the universe will not turn bad groceries into a killer meal. Anything that requires produce demands that you shop like a snooty bastard. Settle for nothing less than the best the store has.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Learn to shop. All the kitchen skills in the universe will not turn bad groceries into a killer meal.

Says you, my grand mother can take a loaf of moldy bread and turn it into a fucking birthday cake with icing :lol:

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: It's tough to describe, so maybe you need to get someone how to show you how to do it, but only communists and terrorists stir with spoons.

:agreed:

Now as far as describing it, it's not too tough.

1. Tilt the front of the pan about 10 deg. below level.
2. Push the pan forward a few inches
3. Lift the front of the pan to about 10 deg. ABOVE level.
4. Pull the pan back a few inches.

Best thing to do is practice with a little elbow mac. Also, olive oil helps to keep things from flying all over the place when you're tossing. Make sure that you use enough in the pan before dropping in the food. And use good stuff.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
Optional - pasta sauce gets better with time.......

........And a splash of white wine is nice and seems to help the sauce thicken slightly, somehow......

I'm a little late for the party but since cooking, and food in general, is one of my favorite topics in ALL of creation (yeah, even over guitars).......

Drew impresses me with his culinary knowledge. :D Listen to the man he WILL get you laid! :lol:

On point one. Tomatoe sauce gets better with time because of the carmalization of the sugars in the tomatoes. You can speed the process if you must by baking your tomatoes in the oven first. The dry heat and increased surface area will increase the carmalization.

On adding wine/vermouth to tomatoe sauce. Absolutely! There are flavour compounds in tomotoes (and other foods) that are only solluble in alchohol. Almost any alchohol will work but you want to keep it appropriate. One of my favorite "neutral" additions is a shot of vodka.

And of course it must be said, NEVER EVER put a wine in your food that you wouldn't drink by itself. If it's sucks out of a glass it will still suck in your food. :wallbash:

And my own two cents on menu selection (if you can handle it);

Lobster thermadore and a good white wine.

It should almost be illegal. :D Sure, it's not cheap, but if you're having trouble "cracking that nut".....well, if lobster thermadore (assuming no shellfish alergies :eek: ) doesn't do it you need to start pitching for the other team. :fawk:

jaxadam

Reaction score
Wow, some pretty good ideas, tips, and recipes here.

My girlfriend and I love to cook. She's almost as good as me!

Just kidding... she actually has some awesome recipes.

But a few of our winners are our steaks, especially Filet Mignon with Lump Crab bernaise.

Also, we cook a lot of fish here. My girlfriend makes an awesome Halibut with tequila lime shrimp sauce.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm a little late for the party but since cooking, and food in general, is one of my favorite topics in ALL of creation (yeah, even over guitars).......

Drew impresses me with his culinary knowledge. :D Listen to the man he WILL get you laid! :lol:

On point one. Tomatoe sauce gets better with time because of the carmalization of the sugars in the tomatoes. You can speed the process if you must by baking your tomatoes in the oven first. The dry heat and increased surface area will increase the carmalization.

On adding wine/vermouth to tomatoe sauce. Absolutely! There are flavour compounds in tomotoes (and other foods) that are only solluble in alchohol. Almost any alchohol will work but you want to keep it appropriate. One of my favorite "neutral" additions is a shot of vodka.

And of course it must be said, NEVER EVER put a wine in your food that you wouldn't drink by itself. If it's sucks out of a glass it will still suck in your food. :wallbash:

And my own two cents on menu selection (if you can handle it);

Lobster thermadore and a good white wine.

It should almost be illegal. :D Sure, it's not cheap, but if you're having trouble "cracking that nut".....well, if lobster thermadore (assuming no shellfish alergies :eek: ) doesn't do it you need to start pitching for the other team. :fawk:

Interesting... I knew THAT it worked, but not how or why. I just figured it had something to do with giving the flavors more time to mingle, but my experience is it seems to "warm" and enrich the flavors, and caramalization is actually a pretty plausible reason for this. This also explains, I guess, why some people like to add sugar to a tomatoe sauce, and why it's just never seem to work for me. thanks dude! :D

I'll have to try that tomatoes in the oven bit - how long do you usually bake them, and at what temperature? Whole, halved...?

I've never actually cooked a lobster on my own, which is disgraceful since I live in Boston. It's really just the lack of an appropriate opportunity, I guess... Maybe tonight, I'm supposed to give my friend Grace a guitar lesson and we usually do something for dinner first.

I also was once guilty of serving a shrimp and scallop tomato sauce (similar to the one above, actually) to a girl with shellfish allergies, though in my defense she didn't know she was allergic to shellfish, and, well, we'd had sex before she started feeling unwell. :lol:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I also was once guilty of serving a shrimp and scallop tomato sauce (similar to the one above, actually) to a girl with shellfish allergies, though in my defense she didn't know she was allergic to shellfish, and, well, we'd had sex before she started feeling unwell. :lol:

Well, at least you got laid before. If you hadn't, you probably would have missed out :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:shrug: I at least had the decency to hold her hair back and rub her back. I'm just that nice.

Tordenguden

Reaction score
Nice, i think ive become a better cook cus of you guys ;) Feel free to post more recipes here.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Well, although I wasn't cooking for a girl (the girlfriend is at work right now) I went and bought me a nice cobia filet, put a coffee rub on it, and grilled it up, and it was awesome.

It's basically some coffee grounds, brown sugar, coarse pepper, and salt.

I know the coffee part sounds funny, but it actually doesn't even taste like coffee at all when it's done. It has a tangy, sweet flavor to it, almost like a jerk sauce crossed with teriyaki.

I've had some pretty good recipes with Kona coffee sauce, and it's a pretty unique way to add life to a dish.

')