Your favorite Concept Album

• Thread starter Volteau
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrGignac

Sonderkommando
Reaction score
+1 to Obscura and king diamond

i personally love Demons and Wizards Dark tower themed album.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
First the obvious:

Mastodon_Leviathan_2004.jpg

ObZen is somewhat a concept album.
\

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
Holy crap. There's a lot of stuff out there I need to re-listen or listen to for the first time. Thanks for all the great suggestions (even though this wasn't a "suggestion" thread, I know :D).

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score

I actually LOL'd. Thought this was a troll post until I saw your explanation.

I tried to get into this album a long time ago, because I figured it would potentially the only Kiss album I could possibly like. But I forget everything I heard on it. What's the story?

Also: Lots of mentions for Operation Mindcrime.. unfortunately this was the last really good QR album.

broj15

Reaction score
Never Really thought of any Godspeed You! Black Emperor albums as being concept albums since i never really think of GY!BE making individual songs, but in that case
41Hdnr9M8cL.jpg

I also failed to mention;
2405586715_991aa4a6f0_z.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've always known concept albums to be ones that tell stories, so I don't really see bands like Explosions in the Sky, or Godspeed You Black Emperor, or Thee A Silver Mt. Zion as releasing concept albums since there's no lyrics to tell that story. There may be samples of stuff but nothing resembling an overall story.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I've always known concept albums to be ones that tell stories, so I don't really see bands like Explosions in the Sky, or Godspeed You Black Emperor, or Thee A Silver Mt. Zion as releasing concept albums since there's no lyrics to tell that story. There may be samples of stuff but nothing resembling an overall story.

Here's the wiki entry on it:

"In music, a concept album is an album that is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical."[1] Commonly, concept albums tend to incorporate preconceived musical or lyrical ideas rather than being improvised or composed in the studio, with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story. This is in contrast to the practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected (lyrically or otherwise) songs performed by the artist."

So really, just needs a unified theme seems like. :yesway:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Guess that means my grindcore album about X-Men is going to be a concept album :lol: Look out other concept albums, here I come!

traditional

Reaction score
Lateralus by Tool.
I'm really surprised that no-one has mentioned it yet, if not just on face value but if it's rearranged in to The Holy Gift. It's incredible, easily my favourite.
Tied second is DT's Ziltoid and Planetary Duality by The Faceless.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Crap, that's a hard question. In the end though, I have to go with...

1657.jpg

Divinehippie

ESaD ;)
Reaction score
Concept albums are some of my favorites, love an album with a story my list in no order:
The Contortionist-Exoplanet
BTBAM- Colors
Protest the Hero- Kezia
Last Chance to Reason- Level 2 (a new listen for me but goddamn loving it so strong \m/)
Pink Floyd- the wall

more im sure but i mean they've all been pretty much covered here haha xD

klami

Reaction score
Crap, that's a hard question. In the end though, I have to go with...

1657.jpg

For me its a toss up between Remedy Lane, The Perfect Element Pt I and BE, even though I enjoy all of their albums (yes I do..). There's something very appealing to me about Gildenlöws writing. To me it appears honest, vulnerbale and personal.

Oh, and Seventh Wonder's "Mercy Falls". A bit too theatrical here and there, but a good album with a great singer!

Reaction score
Forgot to mention some....

Wasp - the crimson Idol
Hypocrisy - The Arrival

If you like german/european style metal bands like Helloween/blind Guardian you might also enjoy

Gamma Ray - Somehwere out in space
Gamma Ray - No world order

')