Your favorite Concept Album

• Thread starter Volteau
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I thought that it kind of had an overarcing theme, or maybe I'm just too much of an ELP fanboy. :lol:

Nope. It's a disconnected mish-mash of conflicting ideas from Keith Emerson and Greg lake, like every other ELP album. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of ELP, but I imagine that their writing sessions went something like this:

Keith Emerson: I have this really cool thing I wrote. Wanna hear it?
Greg Lake: No.
Keith Emerson: Okay! *plays pseudo-classical stride piano jazz experiment*
Greg Lake: Needs an acoustic ballad. Girls love my chubby face.
Keith Emerson: Well, shit, how will we ever convince people that we're deep? Let's cover some ass classical music.
Carl Palmer: EVERY ORIGINAL SONG PALMER HAS PLAYED ON FEATURES A COWBELL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ForThisGift

Reaction score
I can't believe there hasn't been any mention of El Cielo by Dredg. As far as the imagery created on the album, a lot of it was taken from Dali's 'Dream Caused By the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate One Second Before Awakening', which was originally said to have been inspired by his wife's struggles with sleep paralysis. All of the lyrics on the album are actually sourced out from journal entries of people suffering from sleep paralysis.

Aside from what (I think at least) is a very cool concept to tackle, they also nailed the album from the open to close. It is definitely one of my all time favorite records, concept or not.

Repner

Reaction score
If any ELP album is a "concept" album, it would be Tarkus. Side B was never meant to be acknowledged, and was written purely so there wasn't a blank side of the vinyl

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I feel so silly for forgetting this one. It's a favorite!

gorillaz-plastic-beach.jpg

Repner

Reaction score
Bal-Sagoths albums are great as well. Haven't heard enough of them to tell which is my favourite though

s4tch

Reaction score
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray

This. Fates Warning is probably the most underrated band ever.

+ Operation: Mindcrime, Remedy Lane, Be, The Perfect Element, The Wall, The Dark Side of the Moon, Dark Saga, etc.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Tool - Lateralus
Opeth - Damnation
Meshuggah - Catch 33
Mastodon - Leviathan

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I think I've ruined more copies of The Fragile than any of the others (damn CD players without skip protection), some great mentions here though.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
King Diamond - Them

I'd also like to give special mention to Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera (RIP Criss Oliva)

One of my fav leads and lead breaks of all time (huge Criss Oliva fan) is on track 11 (starts ~2:22), "Ghost in the Ruins"

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
Taking a tour within the Nostalgia Factory has reminded me of a band which I spent a good part of my 16 year-old year listening to:

avantasia_-_the_metal_opera.jpg

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I am surprised nobody has mentioned it, but Thrice- The Alchemy Index is an amazing concept album. It is basically 4 different eps that are inspired by earth, air, fire, and water. Each ep sounds very different and has a very distinct sound to it. I will put a song from each one on here

water

air

earth

fire

')