Your favorite soundtracks!

• Thread starter Experimorph
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Experimorph

Reaction score
I'm going through another phase of listening mainly to soundtracks - a phase no doubt borne by seeing The Hobbit and getting in that fantasy mood again. I thought we should share our love for soundtracks, be it from movies, games or just bands playing soundtrack-ish stuff!

The kind I like the most is entirely dependant on my mood, though I guess I'm generally more fond of videogame soundtracks than any other kind. Obvious choices would be the Final Fantasy series, WarCraft, Elder Scrolls, Metal Gear Solid etc. Anyway, here are a couple of amazing pieces that I think are somewhat less known:

Just to begin with. Now, GO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
FFVII

EDIT: Oh yah you were right. Obv choice lol.

What about Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
Gonna sound absolutely ridiculous here, but I would have to say that single-handedly, the Donkey Kong Country 2 OST changed my fucking life.

Listen to it. It's metal as fuck.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Games:
Various Final Fantasy Games but VII in particular, followed by IX. (imo)
Any Metal Gear game
Half-Life Series
Portal/2
Castlevania series, Symphony of The Night had some bitchin' tunes :shred:
Sonic Games for Megadrive/Genesis
Ecco/2 for Megadrive/Genesis
Vectorman for Megadrive/Genesis
Donkey Kong series
Anything Mario
Any Megaman game/series
Pokemon R/B/Y/G/S/C

Movies:
Matrix series
Star Wars Series
LoTR
The Italian Job (the 2003 remake)

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Very surprised no-one's mentioned Bastion. I actually own this on CD, I love it that much:

wankerness

Reaction score
If we're sticking to videogames, then yeah SOTN wins for me by a million miles. I've never heard anything else even close to as good and as time goes on that seems increasingly LESS likely since the trend with games has been more and more towards ambient sounds or "DYNAMIC MUSIC" aka shitty little loops that change if you get in combat and otherwise are meant to be practically ambient.

The diversity on SOTN was amazing, everything from smooth jazz to baroque to metal to mariachi got thrown into the pot. There were a couple clunker tracks but no other soundtrack has contained the combined amount of awesome contained in these:

This one was very largely responsible for getting me into nerdy prog/power metal. I got into dream theater just cause "Fatal Tragedy" reminded me of this:

EDIT: Distant second/third go to Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. The first one is more consistently great but the second one has enchanted forest and the bramble music which are some of the very best stuff I've ever heard on a videogame soundtrack.

I don't understand the silent hill soundtracks, like, if you download a soundtrack it's great, but when you play through the games there's essentially no music whatsoever so I'm not sure where they were coming from. I've played entirely through 1/2 and played through 3 more than once and never really noticed any music. But yeah, the main theme music on 1 and 3 is great and so is the soundtrack to 2 you can get even if it may not actually be in the game :D

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh yeah, totally forgot about the Mac version of Descent, that had a really great soundtrack also. It was like, redone versions of a few of teh midi tracks from the PC version. I loved it.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Too many to count. :lol:

Go through all of my posts on this thread to see just how many...

Also loving the Michiru Yamane appreciation here. :yesway: While Symphony of the Night gets most of the recognition, I personally thought Curse of Darkness equals it.

jehu12141987

Reaction score
Gladiator's soundtrack is amazing. A personal favorite of mine is "Life and Death" and all of it's variations from the television series LOST... simple, yet very gripping IMO.

')