Your First Metal Band

• Thread starter omentremor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shaman

Reaction score
The first metalband I got into was Metallica :hbang:

I was about 10 at the time. THen soon after that hell broke loose :lol:

Sepultura, Amorphis, Pantera etc.... And after those I got into black metal and after that, death metal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Black Sabbath for sure.
I'm an old fucker, I was into Led Zep and early Aerosmith when my older sister bought home Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
that was all she wrote, from then on it was metal 24/7.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a personal preference, can't argue taste.

I didn't mean any disrespect. People can hate whatever they want. I'm pretty much the opposite. I hate screaming and growling (with very few exceptions, like Opeth :metal:)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Black Sabbath for sure.
I'm an old fucker, I was into Led Zep and early Aerosmith when my older sister bought home Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
that was all she wrote, from then on it was metal 24/7.

i'm young comparatively, but growing up somewhat religious, that album cover freaked me out at first. :lol:

Now its one of my favs. \m/

454za4l.jpg

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mine was Quiet Riot. Metal Health. 1984. I was 8 years old and I had a Michael Jackson leather jacket too. :metal:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmm. I got into metal through hard(er) alternative - Collective Soul's self-titled was the first disc I bought that was even remotely "heavy," though in retrospect it's barely even metal-tinged. The Creed debut (still a great album) was the first album I bought that I'd honestly consider metal - either DT's "Awake" or Opeth's "Blackwater Park" would be the first albums I bought that most of you would consider metal.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
i'm young comparatively, but growing up somewhat religious, that album cover freaked me out at first. :lol:

Now its one of my favs. \m/

454za4l.jpg

^Probably my fave Sabbath album (after the Dio-era albums, of course ;) )

My first metal band would have to be Iron Maiden. I went from listening to Pink Floyd to listening to Iron Maiden overnight. I still remember how excited I was when I got "Brave New World" when it first came out. Excellent album, too :metal:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
My first metal band was Sevendust. I bought Sevendust's debut album in 1997 when I was 13/14 and they soon became one of my favorite bands. They just kicked so much ass. I bought "Home" (which became my favorite Sevendust album and still is to this day), "Animosity," "Seasons," their awesome DVD, etc. I still love these guys and they were the first band to get me into really really heavy music.

Here's that first metal album I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Sevendust/dp/...ef=sr_1_8/105-8646461-7419605?ie=UTF8&s=music

I recommend it to anyone (although I prefer their second album, "Home," their debut is an amazing album).

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Hey
Title says it all really. First metal band I really got into was Opeth. Still probably my favourite they are just such an awesome band. Also inspired my guitaring a lot.

I'd say Metallica, but I don't really consider being into Metallica the same as being into Cryptopsy or Suffocation.

For me, there were a few bands that got me interested, but I didn't love metal until I heard Opeth. A friend gave me Still Life, and I happened to get pretty sick shortly afterward (I don't think it was related), so I just left it playing on repeat in my headphones while I was laying in bed going in and out of sleep for a few days. After that, I was hooked.

god_puppet

Reaction score
I got into metal with bands like black sabbath and metallica, my dad always had a couple of cds around the house so i would listen to them on occasion. I dont remember which was the first band that got me into metal but i do remember that the black album was the first cd I bought myself.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a cassette as a youngin' that had Anthrax, Heathen, Destruction and a heap of shred guys on one side and some Harry Connick Jnr. album on the other side. I still have no idea where it came from, but for a long time that tape was my LIFE. I was so fearful of wearing it out that I made something like twenty spare dubs of it tha still sit in a shoebox in my parents' place somewhere.

Ryan

Reaction score
Even though i had the Black Album first, i really got into metal with Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power. \m/ I was like 13 i think.. Before that it was like The Offspring and Marilyn Manson D:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Megadeth. Countdown to Extinction used to be my dad's favorite record to blast in the car when I was a young'un, and Sweatin' Bullets is still one of my favorite songs ever.

That's the band and that's the album.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Sabbath all the way. When I was a kid I heard the intro to "Iron Man" on the radio in an advertisement for the local stop on Ozzy's first U.S. solo tour back in '81. They sure as hell didn't play Sabbath on the radio at any other time back then. All I knew was that the "I-Am-Iron-Man!" intro was the coolest fuckin' thing I had ever heard and that I had to buy that album immediately. The next year, Sabbath w/Dio was my first ever concert.

I had been into AC/DC before that, but I don't really think of that as 'metal.'

BTW, it frightens me that there are people here young enough to think of anything Korn-related as "wayyy back"... :lol:

')