Your First Metal Band

• Thread starter omentremor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

garcia3441

Tone Whore
Contributor
Reaction score
When I was first learning to play guitar, I used to raid my parent's record collection. I got heavily into Blue Cheer and the MC5, and worked forward from there.

Rayne Mann

Reaction score
Metallica, mainly because that was the only Metal band they really played on the radio at the time, it was so flooded with Grunge and Alternative. Ugh, the 90's.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
+1 Judas Priest

+1 more. i bought a tab book full of "heavy metal" bands with a backing cd, and it had livin after midnight, so i bought the cd a month later and was hooked. i need to go jam with that whole album. me and my friend learned it all except "The Rage" and "Steeler". :hbang: :shred: :bowdown: :yesway: :nutkick: :flex:

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
Korn for me.

BTW, it frightens me that there are people here young enough to think of anything Korn-related as "wayyy back".. By jacksonplayer

Well, ' cause it kinda' is. That was 13 years ago for me(I'm 21 now). I was only about 8 when I first heard Korn. But yeah, fuck you old farts! :fawk:
:lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 more. i bought a tab book full of "heavy metal" bands with a backing cd, and it had livin after midnight, so i bought the cd a month later and was hooked. i need to go jam with that whole album. me and my friend learned it all except "The Rage" and "Steeler". :hbang: :shred: :bowdown: :yesway: :nutkick: :flex:

Green Manalishi \m/

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Judas priest. Dont really listen to them anymore though. Rob is a god! :)
and another +1
The song Love Bites off Defenders of the Faith was the first metal song I ever heard. My best friend had the album and I used to make him play it over and over again. I was hooked on metal forever more.

That must've been about '83 or so, and later the same friend made me a mix tape which included 2 Metallica songs: For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Fade to Black. I absolutely freaked when I heard those songs, and Metallica became my favorite band for the next 6 years - until the Black album came out (great rock music - just not what I wanted to hear from them.) Seeing them on the Puppets tour was the highlight of my teenage life - and still stands as a peak experience now, though among many others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
^omg, Love Bites is an AWESOME song, I love it so much, lol.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
To me, there's only one song on Defenders of the Faith = The Sentinel. \m/

J

JonezTownReunion

Ahhh, where to begin as I travel down the halls of my prodigal youth? I'd have to say Nirvana's "Nevermind" album got me into hard guitars (or at least my perception of heavy music at the time.) After which I was self directed towards Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax and Slayer. I think out of those 4 I'd say I whole heartedly still respect Nirvana because out of the rest of the three bands, they were by far the LEAST pretentious.

Nic

Reaction score
The first real metal I was subjected too was Sepultura's "Roots" album. Back when it first came out, I didn't get it at all. I was into Parl Jam, Soundgarden and such and really didn't understand the point of music without vocal melodies and all that noisey stuff. God damn do I love metal now.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Man, some of you are so YOUNG! :lol:

For me, the first metal band I ever liked, as far as a song went, was Quiet Riot, back in 1983, with Bang Your Head (Metal Health). I was 9. :D

After that, the first band I really got into was Guns N' Roses in '87. I listened to stuff here and there before that, especially Def Leppard's 'Pyromania' album, but like most kids, I didn't really get into metal until my teen years. Right after that, my foster brother introduced me to Metallica, specifically 'MoP' and RtL'. I was a soid fan of metal in general, and Metallica in particular, when 'AJFA' ame out.

:agreed:
I really was all over "The wild and the young" on Quiet Riot III.
But if i get back earlier than this (around 1986, when i was 11) my first "metal" love was Motley Crüe. Then, Ratt, Dokken, Ynwgie, Wasp, Ozzy, Def Leppard, White Lion, Whitesnake, Guns and Posers :)erk: what a blend... and then, Metallica, of course.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
:agreed:
I really was all over "The wild and the young" on Quiet Riot III.
But if i get back earlier than this (around 1986, when i was 11) my first "metal" love was Motley Crüe. Then, Ratt, Dokken, Ynwgie, Wasp, Def Leppard, White Lion, Whitesnake, Guns and Posers... and then, Metallica, of course.

I guess if you wanna get technical, Firehouse was my first one. :noplease:

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
For me it was Metallica and MegaDeth around the same time in the early 90's... good times. ;)

malmsteenrocks77

Reaction score
my first metal band was probably def leppard i started listening to them when i was 7 or 8 but now its mostly metallica that i listen too

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
My first metal band was Judas Priest. Then I got into Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, then later thrash. Ahhh the good old days.

I'm with Metal Ken The Sentinel owns!!!!

')