Your First

• Thread starter Guitarmiester
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Classical: 3/4 size Montana built by the Kaman Music Company in Romania...and I still have it.
Electric: Fender Squier Strat Pak
Amp: Squier SP-10
Pedal: Ibanez Powerlead

Only the classical survived. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ambler3

Reaction score
Acoustic: Yamaha F310. Currently has 0.56s on it, despite the strings being 1-2 years old it still sounds nice.
Electric: Ibanez ART100DX. Once again, another guitar i've still got, still happy with it now as my main guitar for standard tuning, so that's gotta be something.

Amp: Line6 spider, sold for £40. What a waste of money
Pedal: Boss Metalzone....why? Still have it though for if I want disgusting Burzum-esque tones.

Axewield31

Reaction score
I remember going into the local music shop at the age of seven or eight and proudly announcing I needed an acoustic guitar to the storeowner. I got one of those generic starter classical guitars. Came with picks, strap, bag and all that stuff. I gave it to a kid who wanted to play but wasn't able to buy a guitar a while back. I'm teaching him a few things and it's a really rewarding experience, seeing him grow to love guitar and music in general the way I do.

My first electric would be an Ashton 3/4 I got for Christmas when I was 9 or so. I don't have it anymore. I think I gave it away to someone else wanting to learn too.
The amp was the one that came in the Ashton starter pack. 10 watts of pure tone :lol: It was given away with the guitar.

My first pedal was a DOD Grunge. It was given to me by a friend of my older brother who plays. I still have it and pull it out occasionally to reminisce. Many afternoons were spent annoying my family with that setup :hbang:

hiroprotagonist

SUPPLIES!!!
Reaction score
First guitar: Washburn generic grandpa's guitar
First electric: Squier Strat HSS complete with whammy bar and no pickguard
First amp: Peavy Rage 15
Pedals: not sure what order, but Boss OD-1, DS-1, Ch-1
Tone: Garbage
F*cks given: none

I locked myself in my bedroom that summer and didn't come out until I could play ...And Justice For All in it's entirety and very badly, although not according to my horrible ears.

Insinfier

Reaction score
Guitar: Ibanez RG5EX1

I have the body and neck of one of these sitting in my closet. Got it from a pawn shop. Stripped most of the hardware. The knife edges on the Edge III were so damn worn out, there was no keeping that thing in tune. It's a shame the one I have is unplayable.

Want a project? :lol:

PBGas

Reaction score
Cripes you folks are young'ins!
My first guitar was an El Degas Les Paul Copy
My first amp was a Darius D12. One of my guitar teachers sold me a fuzz pedal for 20 bucks and I was hooked!

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I had a white Maxtone strat copy. Two humbuckers, no pickguard, standard trem, rosewood board. Not a bad guitar and it got me through my first couple of years of playing. I don't really remember what happened to it. I probably lent it to a friend and forgot about it. I also had some brand X solid state 50W combo amp with a 12" speaker. It wasn't great, but it was loud enough to play with some drums. The speaker blew and I ended up pulling the amp out and making a little head case for it. Used it with a 15" Peavey Black Widow as a backup bass amp for our band. It barely kept up and I think I bestowed it upon a needy friend. First pedal was a Boss OS-2 Turbo Distortion. Very decent pedal, used it for nearly 10 years. It was eventually stolen. I bet it's still kicking some ass out there 24 years later.

WarMachine

Reaction score
old_rig_haha.png

.....hoe-lee-chit that sucked hahahaha :lol::lol::lol:

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
My first guitar was a black ESP LTD F-10. It came with a 'starter pack.' On the same day I got a Peavey Vypyr 15 combo amp, which I still use. The guitar I have since given to a friend.

I had started learning to play a few things on guitar before that, however. I had borrowed my sister's old and depressing acoustic guitar. It was hard to play and had poor quality construction. I remember struggling for several days (maybe even a week or two) to learn how to play "Never Too Late" by Three Days Grace.

EDIT: I should put this in the correct format.
Guitar: Black ESP LTD F-10
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 15
Pedal: Digitech RP355 (someone at church gave it to me and I have used it ever since)

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
My first guitar was a gift from my cousin when i was 11 or 12, a Harmony Flying V. I wish i had it still, as my cousin was murdered a few years after he gave it to me (i think i was about to turn 14). I let my friend try and "modify" it and he knackered the whole thing. Oh well, I still have the memories at least.

Heres what it was like...
100_5030.jpg

and YOU KNOW I had to have one of these too...

771539_0_original.jpg

VSK Guitars

Handcrafted Quality
Reaction score
My first "rig" was a Memphis strat copy and a tiny Dean Markley practice amp with like a 6" speaker. My first effects pedal was the original Zoom MFX pedal :D

coldandhomeless

Reaction score
ibanez rx60 (still have it) and peavey rage 158... but oh i thought i was hot shit when i got a zoom 505

Threadnaught

Reaction score
I don't remember much about my first guitar - it was a generic stratalike in brown sunburst. Terrible trem, went out of tune as soon as you looked at it. Bought with money made by selling almost everything I owned at a car boot sale when I was 15 or 16.

My first amp I definitely remember - it was a Sound City SC30 and it probably cost me around £15 sometime in 1990.

SoundCitySC30.jpg

My first effects pedal was a Pro Co Rat 2, and I bought it because the name sounded cool and the letters glowed in the dark. :shred:

Then I moved up to a Digitech GSP 21

gqtojq016vg8jgase3id.jpg

ZeroTolerance94

Reaction score
When I was 12 years of age, back in 2006, I absolutely loved suicide silence. And Mark played an Ibanez. I wanted to learn guitar, so my first guitar had to be an Ibanez.

So I got myself a black, Ibanez GRX20, and borrowed an old Yamaha guitar amp my step mom had. It couldn't do distortion for itself life...
I slapped on .13-.56 strings and tuned it to drop A. (I've always been somewhat mechanically inclined, and can follow instructions, as provided on the interwebz)

Then eventually, about a year later, 7th grade, got myself a Digitech Metal Master. YES. This thing rocked. (at the time :lol:)

I had my setup.

Guitar: Ibanez GRX20
Amp: Yamaha 30 watt something
Pedal: Digitech Metal Master

I was the coolest kid in the band room in middle school. Jammin on my Ibanez to Welcome to Sludge City from Annotations of an Autopsy, and a bunch of Suicide Silence songs.

Then out of nowhere in the 8th grade the pickups died on my Ibanez, and I gave the guitar away to a close friend who customized the shit out of it.

I kinda wish I still had that metal master though...

JordanStGodard

Reaction score
Guitar: Some cheap blue squire stratocaster.

Amp: Line 6 Spider IV 15watt

Pedal: Boss DS-1.

I remember the days when I thought this sounded amazing... I must have had a hearing problem!

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
Hah, oh the memories!

Nylon ac. Guitar: Generic 'kid size' acoustic from Greenland. 'twas my mothers.
Western Guitar: Some Sigma, also purchases from Greenland. To this day it's still my only western guitar and I love it. Wouldn't care much for any other acoustic guitar.
E. Guitar: Emperador Les Paul copy from Japan. Heavy as shit with a faulty bridge pup. So I was playin' the br00tz using the neck pup :D
Amp: Squire Champ 15. Totally ok for a beginner actually. I never got into good metal territory but I had it for 4 years until I finally upgraded.
Pedal(s): Boss CE-2 Chorus and a Boss DS-1. Fine stuff. The DS-1 helped 'metal' the Champ up.

The Squire Champ, DS-1 and my Les Paul copy was actually great for nailing the Plug-in Baby tone by Muse :hbang:

sandwichamwin

Reaction score
Best thread! :metal:

My first was a el-cheapo Ashton bass and 20 watt amp. Eventually it received a ghetto mounted a musicman style humbucker to replace the P-style pickups and had its frets torn out in the name of learning advent! :hbang:

Could only find a de-constructed photo
D8MVeyL.jpg

About 5 years later started playing my guitar and my first was an Epiphone LP with a boss metalzone into my bass amp. I guess that's not bad to start with!

vZu5XG8.jpg

skydizzle

Reaction score
My first guitar was an Ibanez GAX70. It was decent. My first amp was a shitty Danelectro. I quickly upgraded to an Ibanez 10 watt, which wasn't much better.

')