Your G-Major hanging? Here's how to fix it...

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Right, all credit goes to ryan, who is on this board as Ryan-ZenGtr-

First off, remember that G-Major I had that locked up a few months ago? As in would just freeze every so often? And then one morning decided to simply not work at all?

Well, Ryan had the same problem, so he took his apart and discovered that there's two chips in sockets that can be replaced. Now either of these can come loose, so if your g-Major is hanging, then take it apart, and find these two chips:

On the main board, easy to get to:
26476f7d1526ed3.jpg

On the front PCB, a bit harder to get to as you really have to unscrew everything:
26476f7d1682783.jpg

And simply push them in. I did with mine, and the one on the front panel was visibly not in the right place, although still in the socket, and then, once I'd pushed it in, powered it up, and hey presto, the G-Major works again! And this is going from a unit which would not even start (the screen would light up, but not display anything).

Hence, cheers Ryan, I owe you a few beers :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
That's good to know for future reference.

Hey James, if you haven't put it all back together yet, I'd suggest taking a hot glue gun and dropping a dab or two on either side to keep it in place from falling out again.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
That's good to know for future reference.

Hey James, if you haven't put it all back together yet, I'd suggest taking a hot glue gun and dropping a dab or two on either side to keep it in place from falling out again.
Ah, I've already put it back together, I was just going to use electrical tape to fix it in! In any case, it's not too much hassle dissasembling it, but still would be good to not have to worry about it anymore!

To think that if I hadn't of known this that the repair would have cost 60% of a new units cost, i was going to throw this one away after xmas!

Just need to find a way of replacing the far right central knob...Then it's as good as new!

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, if you didn't already use electrical tape, I'd suggest using hot glue. Looking at the chip housing, I'd say put 4 dabs in the 4 corners, so it doesn't touch the electrodes (not that hot glue is going to affect it, it's a non-conductor AFAIK), but better to be safe than sorry. 4 small dabs in the corners, and I doubt it'd ever get free again.

Electrical tape can peel away with heat. Hot glue would just remelt, and become solid again afterwards. Re-attaching itself in place.

Latest posts

')