Your Games of 2018 List

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So, think its self explanatory. What were your favorite games to come out in 2018. Make it a top 10 if you like.

I did spend a lot of time catching up on 2017 games, but here's what came out last year that I enjoyed quite a bit;

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Tetris Effect
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Marvel's Spider-Man
Celeste
Dead Cells
Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Onrush

A whole bunch of stuff I haven't gotten more of a chance with this year (Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Mega Man 11 immediately springs to mind) and some remasters of releases I didn't put on here (MEga Man X Legacy Collection, Burnout Paradise Remastered, Shadows of the Colossus) but off the top of my head, I enjoyed these quite a bit. Yeah, its PS4 heavy. I primarily play on my PS4, and still debate even keeping my Switch around sometimes...

If I were forced to pick a Number 1, I dunno, its right now a tie between Yakuza 6 and Spider-Man, because those just kept me in for more prolonged stretches than the rest of the list.

wankerness

Reaction score
Most games I played this year didn't come out this year. It's ALWAYS like that, though, so I've never liked lists by year of things that came out that year for any medium. Out of the few I finished that came out in 2018, it's probably this:

Yakuza Kiwami 2
God of War
Dragon Quest XI
Yakuza 6

Dragon Quest and God of War could be flipped, not sure. The first three are REALLY close. I haven't played Spider-Man yet, but expect to love it. I have a copy of RDR2 and don't know when I'm going to get around to it. I'm only about 25 hours into AC: Odyssey and quite like it but have mostly been running around exploring stuff and clearing out map nodes so I can't say if I'll end up liking it more than any of the above four. Probably not. I played Monster Hunter for a while but have gotten distracted by other things too much to go back to it yet. I have Celeste and Into the Breach which generally seem to be contenders, but I haven't played either yet.

Smash Bros is great but i can't rate it against the others, it's like a fun arcadey thing I'm now only going to play with friends, not a lengthy single player game like those others.

mongey

Reaction score
Apart from a few games of overwatch on my ps4 here and there I really only gamed on switch in 2018 so I’m limited in choices.

I’d have to go with octopath traveler I’d say. 80 odd hours into it and I stilll need to go back and level up to do the final boss fights after the 8 stories.

Honorable mention to the indies on switch. I really enjoyed

Celeste
Inside
Hollow knight
Into the breach.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Easy answer for me - God of War.

Storytelling at it's finest, and playing it in 4k was incredible... really showed off what the ps4 pro hardware is capable of.

Also, finally the release of a big budget IP that doesn't treat single player campaign like an afterthought in favour of multiplayer. It's becoming increasingly rare lately.

wankerness

Reaction score
People say that like it's rare, but some of the biggest titles on the system the last few years are designed as single-player. RDR2 (well...it was for a little bit, anyway, and the single player most definitely wasn't gimped for multiplayer), Assassin's Creed series, Horizon Zero Dawn, Dragon Quest XI, Nier Automata, Dark Souls series (right? I haven't played them. I guess invasions or something exist?), etc.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Smash Ultimate without a doubt. It's a no-contest, in my opinion.

The amount of content packed into this game is ridiculous. You don't realize how insane having SEVENTY SOMETHING CHARACTERS is until you play literally any other game and only have a fraction of that. The mechanics are also some of the best in the series and the whole package is just really, really well put together; the game really feels like a love letter to the fans. The flat out insane sales data collected so far supports this, too.

Definitely in my "of all time" pantheon of game releases.

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
In no particular order, mine are:

God of War
Soul Calibur 6
Forza Horizon 4
Assassin's Creed Odyseey
Beat Saber

Rosal76

Reaction score
I've only purchased/played one game for 2018 and it is Hitman 2. I'm a long time fan of the Hitman game franchise so naturally, it's gonna be my favorite for the year. The euphoria of sneaking into heavily guarded buildings/compounds and silently assassinating people with guards standing just 6 feet away and them not knowing what just happened is just overwhelming.