your non-metal influences?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
like the title says...list the non-metal musicians that have influenced you. in addition to guitarist, you can mention drummers, bassists, vocalists, etc.

also, you can include any rock or punk influences, any genre, but no br00tlz. feel free to add pics or vids.

discuss!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
I dont know if i have any. I play mostly metal and i tend to create music that sounds like my favorite metal bands/musicians.

If i get influenced in any way by music other than metal, its not due to a specific artist. Its just the parts of a song that sparks my ideas. I mean for instance i love to listen to Shawn Lane, but........yeah im not even going to try and go there. Lol.

Dayn

Reaction score
I got into music because of the 16-bit Sonic the Hedgehog music. Those games really cemented my approach to bass and rhythm. You gotta groove or you ain't got nothin'.

Though it was the music to Metal Harbour from Sonic Adventure 2 that got me into picking up guitar and start actually playing music.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I'll just name a couple of my influences that are not metal as said in the OP. Those influences are Eddie Van Halen, Steve Howe, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Brian May, Alex Lifeson, and Pete Townshend.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Castlevania, KISS, glam rock of the 70s and 80s, The Beatles, Ludwig van Beethoven, Van Halen, AC/DC, Rush, Styx, Journey, Boston, etc.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Early:
Jimi
EVH (Van Hagar)
Jerry Cantrell
Ty Tabor
SRV

Late 80's I also discovered shred - Satch and Shrapnel Records:
Vinnie Moore
Satriani
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Tony MacAlpine
Blues Saraceno
Greg Howe
Racer X, Paul Gilbert, and Bruce Bouillet
Ritchie Kotzen

Recently:
Rick Graham
Tom Quayle
Pete Thorn

Lately, I've strayed from teh Bro0tz and fallen in love with:
Roy Buchanan
Danny Gatton
Greg Koch
Otis Rush, Sam Maghett, the 3 Kings, etc...
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Brad Paisley
Les Paul
Vince Gill

tl;dr Henry Kaiser FTW! :lol:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
^ one heck of a list!

Haha... I'm just ashamed that it took me that long to discover the latter part of the list! Ain't nothing wrong with having musical preferences... hell I still crank death metal at the gym... but, wow there are some amazing guitarists out there, outside of djent (crazy talk, I know :lol:):

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
I see myself as a more non-metal musician who's heavily influenced by metal musicians, but for this topic I'll mention Blink-182 and All Time Low because I'm very into pop punk. I also used to listen to Pixar soundtracks, Owl City (still my guilty pleasure), and deadmau5 a lot when I was a kid so they also shaped up my interest because of their musicianship.

Lately, I've been trying to get myself into various Japanese music due to their unique melodies while still being fairly accessible. I would list Hiroyuki Sawano at the moment because his soundtrack work and the vocal song production have his special kind of style in them.

KailM

Reaction score
I tend to write songs that sound like the metal I listen to. As far as listening goes, I seldom listen to anything other than extreme metal these days. However, I went through a 70's phase in high school and early college, lived through the 80s, etc. -- the list of influences on what I write as a guitarist is too endless to even comprehend. This is a list of non-metal influences that I consciously try to weave into my metal writing:

Ennio Morricone -- (More of a composer; wrote the theme to "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly", and many more.
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Portishead

khm

Reaction score
Jon Gomm & Guthrie Goven, Courtney Pine and of course Hans Zimmer.

Jon Gomm:

Guthrie

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Weirdly, Touche Amore's album, Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me, which is the only cd of theirs I listen to once in a while, actually has a huge influence on the music that I write.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'd argue that most of my own influences are non-metal. Most of my guitar learning happened while listening to whatever nonsense was on the radio in the 90s and 00s. I was really into the Nickelbacks and all those derivative bands at the time, and I think that had a big impact on how I play now. I really dig some acoustic/folk stuff, there's some terrible singer/songwriter-y stuff out there, but a friend of mine is good at finding good stuff in there, so I'll absorb all of that goodness. I've been listening a lot to Tigran Hamasyan, which to my ears has a sort of "heaviness" that metal just doesn't usually touch on. And I really dig the "lighter" side of metal, like power metal, or the more chill stuff Opeth does. +1 for Govan, and Aritocrats.

Reactions: khm

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see myself as a more non-metal musician who's heavily influenced by metal musicians

I'm in the same boat. I've always sort of taken non-metal concepts and just played them with metal band members. Grow your hair long and nobody will mind.

The last few years have been a total musical renaissance for me, because the home recording revolution paired with youtube being the king of music release, has meant that I honestly think music made today is more creative and exciting than most of the stuff I was influenced by growing up. I barely listen to anything older than 5 years these days. I don't think metal in general has really kept up with that evolution, I find the most appealing metal bands to be from the 80's and 90's unfortunately.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Pink Floyd, SRV, Grateful Dead...Pumpkins is a big one, but i've heard them being called "metal" in the press (never by a fan) around the time of Siamese dream.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
So many more than this but off the top of my head...

Carlos Santana
Frank Zappa
Steve Howe
Syd Barrett
David Gilmour
Rudolf Schenker
Matthias Jabs
Neil Young
Tony Iommi
Allen Collins
Kieth Richards
Joe Perry
KK Downing
Glenn Tipton
Robert Fripp
Adrian Belew
Johnny Cash
Gordie Walker
Jeff Beck
Dave Murray
Alex Lifeson
Eric Clapton
The Obligatory Jimi Page
The Other Obligatory Jimmy Hendrix

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Too many to list, I like a pretty wide range of music. Lately I've been really into Gypsy jazz.

Also, I don't trust anyone who doesn't like Pink Floyd.

Last edited:
')