Your Opinions Regarding the Accuracy of Colors on Custom Builds.

• Thread starter Lechmere
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's a question for those of you here who've gone ahead and have had something custom built/painted, and have afterwards felt a little disappointed about what you got, more specifically in terms of the colors/shades you ordered and those that ended up getting. I guess what I'm asking is how much latitude dis you yourselves give in terms of color deviation from what was advertised and then what you were ultimately receiving. I ask b/c I'm sort of in that situation myself atm, and would like to get some opinions from others who've also been down this road as well.

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Pictures would definitely help us give an opinion on your particular case.

I think if unless you provide a physical example, not a picture, of what you’re looking for, it will always be a little off unless you’re dealing with one of the bigger custom shops like Fender, Gibson, etc.

What color did you ask for?

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a question for those of you here who've gone ahead and have had something custom built/painted, and have afterwards felt a little disappointed about what you got, more specifically in terms of the colors/shades you ordered and those that ended up getting. I guess what I'm asking is how much latitude dis you yourselves give in terms of color deviation from what was advertised and then what you were ultimately receiving. I ask b/c I'm sort of in that situation myself atm, and would like to get some opinions from others who've also been down this road as well.

Thanks.

show us the kiesel.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
My guideline is to not ask for something I don't have the full faith they can deliver. I also prefer natural gloss in all situations where the wood is comparatively fit for it.

Not trying to sound cold. I've never been in this situation. Perhaps for these reasons, perhaps not.

I'll third the notion that pics would go a long way if you want direct feedback within context.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends. Solid colors if you can provide specific actual paint color information to the builder very little (as in I want this PPG color or this type pf metal flake in this color etc). Trans finishes a decent amount as the color of the wood plays a huge role in what the final product looks like.

Reaction score
Color is light, no light, no color. Light is not the same everywhere and computer screens less so.

The only way to ensure a close proximity between what is ordered and what is delivered is knowing beforehand the paints, tints and methods to be used with in presence physical samples... other than that it's a guessing game...

')