Your preferred guitar for shred

LeoLmX

I like turtles.
Reaction score
As stated above, any decent superstrat should do the job. Some strats can be a problem with their "vintage" construction and components (small nickel frets, big radius, glossy neck, no carve on the bolt-on).

I believe the ultimate shred machine nowadays would be the EBMM Majesty, they nail all the shred checklist, I would just disagree with the medium jumbo frets, they should be at least jumbo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The most shred-tastic guitar I've owned was an RG3120 :yesway: it also happened to be one of the most gorgeous guitars I've owned too :D
My RG3120TW is gorgeous, but if I had to pick one guitar for pure, unadulturated shred, it'd be my RG550RFR, for the sheer reason that a tasteful trans blue flamed maple RG can't compete with retina searing red and obnoxious green pickups/yellow knobs for pure shred factor.

We're past the realm of specs and into the realm of ostentatiousness here though, lol.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I have phat fingers so I can best shred on a 27" scale, since my fingers fit in the frets better. :)

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
After thinking about it a long while, my main criteria for shred are scale length and neck geometry (including frets). For my tastes, the Strandberg Singularity with straight frets would be ideal (assuming a pickup change), but the Jescar Nickel Silver frets are kind of a bummer. Any opinions on those frets ? Would a luthier be able to refret it with Jumbo SS frets (.055 H, .110 W) ? (I'm a noob about refretting).

Last edited:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
RG7 or Jackson Soloist...

I like the flat radius (or compound radius in the case of the Jackson) boards on those and--for me--they seem to be pretty consistent in feel across different ones so if I ever had to replace one it's likely the replacement will feel pretty similar to the one I lost/sold/what-have-you.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
My RG3120TW is gorgeous, but if I had to pick one guitar for pure, unadulturated shred, it'd be my RG550RFR, for the sheer reason that a tasteful trans blue flamed maple RG can't compete with retina searing red and obnoxious green pickups/yellow knobs for pure shred factor.

We're past the realm of specs and into the realm of ostentatiousness here though, lol.
This is the one guitar that I sold that I've always regretted.

For me, my Caparison Dellinger was the best shred guitar I've ever owned. Hands down.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Charvel of course. Because they are the best.

Seriously, they are :)

The neck shape and compound radius is the best I have played but mine was made in the CS. I used to love the ESP Thin U, Used to love the Wizard. Charvel is the winner for me. Have not played any $5,000 VIK guitars or anything fancy though.

kaaka

Reaction score
Anything with a good feeling neck - fretwork and string spacing matters most, I prefer not to wide neck and can handle most profile except the very thin and wide ones like some Ibanez which make my hand cramp after 5 min.
If I had to pick one brand it would for sure be Music man. The Luke, JP, Majesty and Cutlass all are super ultra fast. Fretwork and neck profiles are so fast I don't even have to try to blaze across the necks.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
@kaaka : I've never tried a Music Man. Visually they're not my favorite, but I've only heard good things about their playability. I'd love to try one.

pfizer

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Ibanez or ESP, although I've been really getting along with my Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod HT lately. The neck's very shreddable but also has enough to hold on to for bends.

pfizer

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Ibanez or ESP, although I've been really getting along with my Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod HT lately. The neck's very shreddable but also has enough to hold on to for bends.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Ibanez all the way, crazy flat and thinnest neck ever. It plays by itself basically :)

When I got my first (6-string) RG I didn't really understand all the praise but I adjusted the action and truss rod on it anf recorded the most shreddy solo I've ever done around Xmas and I wouldn't have been able to done it without the Ibby. :D

')