Your reason/justification for owning more guitars? Help!

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
I used to have what you have and I realized how wasteful it was for my needs. I've settled for the guitars I want and I won't be hoarding anymore. I sold all my shit and now only have 4 guitars left. I've listed one more for sale too. Hopeful to get rid of it.

But everyone's needs are different.

I only play metal, I only care for children of bodom's songs so I don't need 20 guitars to do that. I need 2 guitars in drop c and d standard with a floyd rose.

I have one guitar in e standard when I'm in a messing around mood and if I care enough to learn the basics/foundations of guitar and want to do finger exercises one day.
LMAO ....

not my jam

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I still don't get how as guitarists we have to justify that we understand the difference between guitars and teeth when it comes to arguing needing more than one. Collecting starts as a child with hot wheels cars and barbies and continues into adulthood for many (how many versions of a stormtrooper does one need), shoes, cars, artwork, disney memorabilia....the list of things that people collect is infinite and just because I can only have one guitar on my lap at a time does not mean I should feel guilty for owning more than one. Technically all i NEED is a mud hut and boiled pomegranates and I'm fine. But the modern world is driven by consumerism and consumption. Why should I feel guilty if I want the ability to hold and play something I stare at on the internet. If you can afford 50 guitars without getting in dutch with the wife or the repo man then do it if it makes you happy. Otherwise we don't need to worry about what others are doing. It's a syndrome called keeping up with the joneses.

vejichan

Reaction score
There is a very fine line when you buy something to use or to add to a collection. If you are merely a collector and just want to indulge in a collection of great looking guitars to show off as NGD! Great! But for me, i rather have a few great guitars that will be used for different purposes and that i could take to the grave with me but I know my wife would probably be putting them on sale that day. Thats why i need to ask myself whenever i have an urge to buy a new guitar...will this guitar be used, is it any different than the guitars that i own and is it worth the endless sleepless nights arguing with the misses. This usually helps me to curb that urge but sometimes its tough....

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Let me get this straight:

You buy your family anything they want. You don't buy clothes (a necessity btw) for yourself very often. But when it comes to the only thing you do enjoy, you have to explain yourself and get into drawn-out arguments with your partner over it?

vejichan

Reaction score
Yea ...thats how it works i guess. Its all for my kids and my wife.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
That's not how it works in a healthy relationship. But you knew that.

Time to test my willpower and stay out of the rest of these threads.

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
Actual conversation I had with my dad:

D: Hey Alex, everything's good with your car? I can still help if you need

M: Yeah everything's good. Hey! Did I tell you about the new cool guitar I'm saving up for?

D: ...you already have 3 guitars, why do you need another one?

M: Well, I don't need it but I love the features on it and I'd like a backup for my band's shows. Beside, guitar's my passion, I'm an adult and should do what the hell I want with the money I work hard for. If rent, groceries, gas and phone bills are paid and I don't struggle, what's the big deal?

D: Well, I think it's a waste of money. All those amps, pedals, guitars... it's just a hobby. If I was you, I'd sell everything and buy a car.

M: ...I already have a car, why would I need another one?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I have one electric guitar currently. As a general philosophy I prefer to use simple tools and gain a deep, experiential knowledge of their functionality through extended use and maintenance. Similarly, I enjoy seeking novelty in pushing the boundaries of tools I know well to their absolute limits rather than overfilling my cup with more novelty than I can ever experience fully.

Minimalism and maximalism aren't mutually exclusive, they balance and enrich each other.

It's all perspective I suppose, I'm not a collector. My guitars are tools first and foremost, though admittedly tools that I have a much deeper emotional/philosophical relationship with than, say, a framing hammer.

Everybody makes fun of Kanye but there's some real wisdom in here if you don't take him too literally:

quote-everything-in-the-world-is-exactly-the-same-kanye-west-63-63-84.jpg

iamaom

Reaction score
Minimalism is for rich white women that think Xmas starts in October.
Or forever-renting millennials who don't want to move 20 instruments on the drop of a hat because the landlord decided to jack up the rent more than I thought they would. Every move I seem to own less stuff; every object I don't use on a regular basis is something to be dusted, boxed, moved, and unboxed in 12 months time.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
That's not how it works in a healthy relationship. But you knew that.

Time to test my willpower and stay out of the rest of these threads.
Dude its badddd, it's so hard to resist his posts ...really low hanging fruit.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I have one electric guitar currently. As a general philosophy I prefer to use simple tools and gain a deep, experiential knowledge of their functionality through extended use and maintenance. Similarly, I enjoy seeking novelty in pushing the boundaries of tools I know well to their absolute limits rather than overfilling my cup with more novelty than I can ever experience fully.

Minimalism and maximalism aren't mutually exclusive, they balance and enrich each other.

It's all perspective I suppose, I'm not a collector. My guitars are tools first and foremost, though admittedly tools that I have a much deeper emotional/philosophical relationship with than, say, a framing hammer.

Everybody makes fun of Kanye but there's some real wisdom in here if you don't take him too literally:

quote-everything-in-the-world-is-exactly-the-same-kanye-west-63-63-84.jpg
Great points here. I'm a one or two guitar, get-the-most-out-of-the-tool, type of guy.

If anything, the more guitars with the more tunings I use makes me more indecisive when I'm writing music "maybe I should use this pickup for this section, maybe this part would sound better in that tuning...etc" instead of just sitting down and playing the damn guitar which is the entire point ..

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried to list my Jackson USA KV2T to fund something else and she was like “which one are you selling?” So I showed her and she told me I couldnt sell it lol.
Dude your wife sounds a lot like my wife. I can’t even tell you how many times she has told me I’m not selling something.
And she’s always trying to get a new guitar into my hands. It’s awesome.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Deuces kiss to the sky shouting "YOLO" before I click the Place Order button. I mean that's for everything but yes also for guitars. I don't have that many though. 7 Electric and 1 acoustic.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
damn his whole fingerboard is scalloped
Yeah, if you've never played a scalloped treble side guitar you're missing out, leads and solos are sick.

Now a whole neck scalloped? That's a no thanks for me, dawg. I'm so heavy handed I'd be pushing that thing sharp all day.

')