Your reason/justification for owning more guitars? Help!

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
"maybe I should use this pickup for this section, maybe this part would sound better in that tuning...etc"

I hate this game. The rabbit hole never ends. Some days everything just sounds like shit, having more options only extends the amount of time I spend being frustrated before I just accept that it's not happening that day and move on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Every move I seem to own less stuff; every object I don't use on a regular basis is something to be dusted, boxed, moved, and unboxed in 12 months time.

You never realize just how much "stuff" you've accumulated until you have to put it all into boxes.

I have 10 guitars. I didn't intend to have such a "collection"...it just sort of happened. I used to have 11 until a few weeks ago but sold one...but I still want 4 (specific) more.

For me, I basically started with 2 electrics (1 electric with humbuckers, one with single coils...basically a Les Paul and a Strat), and one acoustic. I lived that way, swapping out examples of each of those while never owning more than 3 at a time, for at least 25 years.

Then, my acoustic at the time was starting to structurally fail, so I thought I'd try one of those Chinese Ali-express knock-offs of a much nicer acoustic guitar. Ended up spending way too much on it with all of my requested "upgrades".

That guitar sucked, so I bought the actual nice guitar it was knocking off. I still kept the shitty one and used it at iffy venues where I wouldn't want to take an expensive guitar.

Then I added a used shitty strat knock-off because I wanted to practice working on a guitar where there was no risk of lowering its value.

Then I added a nylon-string.

Then I added a bass.

Then we visited my girlfriend's mom, and they remembered my girlfriend had an old strat-style guitar from 20 years ago in the garage, so we took it home and added it to the collection.

Then I added a 12-string acoustic.

Then I added a semi-hollow with piezo. Technically I suppose I could sell my other electric guitar with humbuckers, but I'm inspired to play different things when I pick each one up.

Then we sold my girlfriend's old guitar. So that puts me at 10.

For the 4 more I want: I'd like to replace my shitty strat knock-off for a nicer version of that guitar because I don't have one with a trem. I'd keep it all single coils, because my *other* single coil guitar is actually HSS. Then, I'd like a banjo and a mandolin. I'd like a thinner-bodied acoustic for more comfortable jamming around the house...but honestly, that's the hardest one to justify.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
I put them away in a closet and forget what I have. Then I buy another one and now I have two closets full of guitars.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
We should just put in our wills to notify SSO when we're dead and here's the FS ads, because AmazonReverbUPS fees will be %90 market value of item.

drmayhem

Insidious
Reaction score
All of mine sound different, play different, feel different. They bring out different styles. No two are alike. It makes it easy for me to write music for various different bands or artists, or for my own bands. Or if I want a change, I'll switch to a different guitar and something will suggest itself.

And then of course each room in the house has to have at least one, in case someone in that room wants to play something.

They all have purpose - 22 different ones, from 6 string standard tunings, to drop tunings, 7 strings, 12 strings, twin-necks, fixed bridge, Kahler, Floyd-Rose, Zero Point etc., and still looking to get more.

brandonwall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It sounds like you're looking to either find a way to convince your wife and/or yourself that it's okay to get more gear or you're looking to hear that it's okay to buy more gear when it could be somewhat redundant. Both are okay. ;)

Ultimately, you have to decide the comfort leveling surrounding your spending habits in general, not just with guitar. Some folks love to collect guitars, some collect amps, some have the same guitar and amp they've had for 20 years; all with varying degrees of disposable income. You've got to decide what's best for you and your passions!

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I have two in E standard - one with high output ceramic pickups and one with more vintage pickups.
My other six are each in a different tuning and are suited to the style I primarily play in that tuning (I couldn't justify multiple guitars for each tuning). All are Ibanez, as I find them comfortable to play and like effortlessly switching from one to another with minimal difference in feel and playability.
The only thing I feel my collection is missing is a 7-string. An RG7620 or similar is the only thing on my bucket list.
I justify owning them all by playing them all :)

Last edited:

dspellman

Reaction score
Question to people who own lots of guitars. How do you justify to your family and yourself on buying more guitars? - I used to own 20 guitars all in standard E tuning ...of which i woke up one morning and realize i basically only played the same 2 out of the 20 guitars- conclusion sold all of them and now own 3 custom guitars in different tunings - 1 in Standard E/ Drop D, 1 in Eb/ drop C#, 1 in D standard/drop C ---each guitar has a purpose and gets used equally because of the tuning- trying to convince the misses on buying one more guitar? but she asks why? I have been dealing with gear acquisition syndrome all my life, it got better after i had kids but now it's BACK!!HELP!

I don't bother with "justification." I just accumulate over time.
You're still justifying additional guitars ("different tunings"). I lost that justification as soon as I bought a Variax JTV-89F. You can set virtually any tuning on that thing, so you really only need the one guitar.

BradleyAllan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always justify it as a business expense. What’s interesting for me is that the more I can get, the less I actually have. Been consolidating the rack down lately. Sold three of the four Strandberg’s I had recently and now have a Shell Pink Aristides h/07r ordered and the wait is killing me.

gclef

Reaction score
I dont know, i just buy what i want. I am up to 9 electrics now. I think my magic number is 12. 2 more electrics and a custom acoustic.

I am really good about buying stuff though. I spent 4 grandish total in 6 years and got a tone of stuff. Some years i only spent 200 bucks.

So, because of my oddly good spending habits, my wife doesn't mind what i get.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Or forever-renting millennials who don't want to move 20 instruments on the drop of a hat because the landlord decided to jack up the rent more than I thought they would. Every move I seem to own less stuff; every object I don't use on a regular basis is something to be dusted, boxed, moved, and unboxed in 12 months time.

Instruments aren't that hard to move, now 212 combos and 412 cabs on the other hand....

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
I agree with most folks that I justify it by:

1. Having all other bases covered
2. Playing in different tunings, I don't want to have to setup when I go from drop B Flat, to Drop C to E standard.
3. Each of the guitars evoke a different feel/inspire me differently. Could I play bluesy jazz on my headless legator but it just doesn't "feel" right to me.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I don't bother with "justification." I just accumulate over time.
You're still justifying additional guitars ("different tunings"). I lost that justification as soon as I bought a Variax JTV-89F. You can set virtually any tuning on that thing, so you really only need the one guitar.
A Variax I only a viable solution if you're happy with the guitar in he first place.
Neck profile, tremolo, aesthetics etc all either work for someone or they don't.

Reaction score
I have a small collection of about 10 guitars. One is a direct backup of another (it's a twin), then all other guitars have some difference that could eventually justify something, however, I'll tune them all the same, all 7s except for 2x 6s and one 8... My most recent and previous buys were a whim that kind of fell into my lap and were guitars that I dreamed with. I didn't need them as all the others already fulfilled me, but these ones were just the cherry on top of the cake. I'm not seeing myself buying more guitars in the foreseeable future...

My go-to guitars are all 7 stringers, most trem loaded (4 of them), 2x are hardtail and 1 of these is fretless... and an acoustic. These are my main go-to with which I'll play all things... Then there are 2x 6s that I seldom play (both trem loaded), but gave me an inspiration and refreshed music thinking recently and an 8 stringer that is being forgotten until I'll fix her wiring...

I can't take more than one guitar to rehearsals, so I choose to use 7s in the band... all superstrat kind of guitars... all with different voices to themselves, but similar enough to fill each others' shoes if something is wrong with one...

77zark77

Reaction score
None,
Sometimes I find a reason AFTER the purchase
Buying guitars is reversible, you can get your money back (more or less) <- best excuse ever !
Fun first, reason later

soliloquy

Reaction score
I have 3 electric and one acoustic.
electric one: EADGBE
electric two: DCGFAD
electric three: CGCFAD

Acoustic: everything under the sun.

moreover, electric one has 2 humbuckers. Electric two has a p90 and humbucker, and electric 3 has active pickups with single coil and humbucker.

Latest posts

')