Your thoughts on my distorded guitars (newbie)

• Thread starter Kullerbytta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
Good evening people and greetings from Sweden :wavey:
I'm a fairly new member to the community and a guitar-rookie. I've recorded many songs the last year since I bought my recording equipment (Steinberg CS1 USB-soundcard and an SM57) but I can't say that I'm too pleased with my distorted tones. The amp I'm using to record is a Peavey Vypyr 75w (had to sell my 5150 because apartment :rant: ) and the guitar I'm using is my Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7.

Initially I was going to post this thread in the Recording-section but seeing as I'm really nothing but a beginner I figured I'd post here. Besides I'd be ashamed of putting my stuff up in that section when every other thread has mixes that sounds much better than mine.
My question is: can you guys take a listen to the song I'm about to link and give me your thoughts on what you think would improve the sound? Anything from flipping knobs on preamp-section to post-EQ and/or HP/LP-filters.

https://soundcloud.com/gnudrun/when-isaac-smiles-at-the

There's the song and it's the rhythm guitars I'm intrested in improving so unless my music is remotely intresting to you disregard everything that isn't distorted rhythm guitars :lol:

There's no bass in the song but I guess you'll notice that without me telling. I don't own a bass yet so for future endeavours I'm gonna have to either get me one or borrow one.

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
I'm no ace at recording, but one of my close friends lives in Skåne so I thought I'd have to reply anyway!

Your mix sounds awesome man. To my taste, the guitar would have a little bit more bass for a little more depth, but that's just me. Otherwise, sounds great :D

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
Oh, that's cool! In Skåne too... That's a surprise :lol: whenever I hear from people knowing people in Sweden they're rarely from Skåne. It feels like we're the black sheep of Sweden. Other regions seem to think of us as hillbillies with a horrid accent, haha.

Thanks, man! That comment makes me very glad as I'm feeling a lot of inferiority, in terms of skill and songwriting, compared to most users here :) I'll try and up the lows abit in the future.

BeeG

Reaction score
Tone sounds great. I honestly think you should put a post-EQ on it to take out the really low end so it doesn't peak when you palm-mute. You can fill the gap with a bass track and adjust accordingly.

KingOfTheRotten

Reaction score
A little fizzy on the low end, and when I heard it on my headphones you can hear feedback from the left guitar when it isn't playing. That should be eliminated if you ask me.

But you make that Vypyr sound super sweet and metal! Thumbs of for getting that amp to sound that good! You're making me want to buy one for home practicing!

silent suicide

Winter is coming
Reaction score
Not finding anyone from Skåne >.< everyone lives down there..
Tried finding someone that's from Umeå that plays a 7 - 8..

Loved the intro, the rest lacked some punch in the face from the mix..
Solid playing though..

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
You really think so guys? Wow, that makes me glad. I guess I compare my sound too much with others to see that it's actually better than I think.
Thanks BeeG, means alot coming from you, you've got an awesome sound :)
Yeah, I did notice the clipping when I palm-mute and I'm gonna try to fix that.
When post-EQing which frequency should I touch if I wanna get rid of low end fizz? How much many db should I increase or decrease?

KingOfTheRotten: At three parts of the song it is meant to be heard feedback-noises :p I really like making noises on some of my songs and the noise I think you're referring to is supposed to be there, haha.

Thanks for the compliment! If you like what I make of the Vypyr I can totally recommend it if you want a practice amp! I love the things you can do with the effects on clean settings :) on my SC I've got a song somewhere in the middle of the list called 'Beneath an Emerald Sky' where I had so much fun experimenting with the effects on the Vypyr.
It's a great practice amp.

BeeG

Reaction score
You really think so guys? Wow, that makes me glad. I guess I compare my sound too much with others to see that it's actually better than I think.
When post-EQing which frequency should I touch if I wanna get rid of low end fizz? How much many db should I increase or decrease?

Thanks man, I just got lucky and found something that works for me, but I am in no means a professional.

As for the clipping, I usually completely cut everything from the exact frequency that is causing the palm-mute clipping, and below(mess around with the EQ to find this quickly), but you CAN cut just that bothersome frequecy enough decibels until it stops being a bitch and falls in line with the rest! I personally cut it and everything below it and make up for it with the bass.

I don't know about the fizz.

KingOfTheRotten

Reaction score

KingOfTheRotten: At three parts of the song it is meant to be heard feedback-noises :p I really like making noises on some of my songs and the noise I think you're referring to is supposed to be there, haha.

Thanks for the compliment! If you like what I make of the Vypyr I can totally recommend it if you want a practice amp! I love the things you can do with the effects on clean settings :) on my SC I've got a song somewhere in the middle of the list called 'Beneath an Emerald Sky' where I had so much fun experimenting with the effects on the Vypyr.
It's a great practice amp.

The noise I hear is more like a buzzing, instead of feedback. I would have understood the feedback because that makes it sound more angry and distorted :)

I might end up buying the lowest watt version of this for my appartment. Do you miss any effects by buying the lower wattages instead of the high ones?

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
The noise I hear is more like a buzzing, instead of feedback. I would have understood the feedback because that makes it sound more angry and distorted :)

I might end up buying the lowest watt version of this for my appartment. Do you miss any effects by buying the lower wattages instead of the high ones?

Oh, hah, alright. I'm gonna take a look at the rhythm guitars solo and see if I can get rid of the buzzing :p

The absolute lowest watt-version, I think, lacks pretty much o' the effects. Or rather there's two different knobs for effects on the 30w, 75w and everything above, and that's: 'Effects' which consists of the typical chorus, flanger, phaser, reverse, pitch s, octaver and rotary speaker. Then there's the Stompbox-section which includes stuff like analogue chorus, phaser and flanger, a Tubescreamer, compressor, fuzz, clean boost and some other stuff but on the 15w this section (Stompboxes) are excluded. So I'd recommend the 30w for versatility + I don't think there's too much difference in price.

Hope that helps :)