Your Top 5 Favorite Riffs Of All Time

• Thread starter violent mouth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Genome

Reaction score
This is hard! And I couldn't make an all time list... this is just what's floating my boat at the minute.

In no particular order apart from the last one.

Frayed Ends of Sanity - The best Metallica riff in my eyes, classic Hetfield edge and technique. Too bad they've never played it live. Sounds great with added bass!

At 4:18 in the video.

---

Knights of Cydonia - I can give or take Muse, but this riff just rocks. Great mix of swing and melody, and I love the way they bring the vocal hook back in. Awesome.

At 4:14 in the video.

---

This Dying Soul - My favourite of Petrucci's (just in front of main Glass Prison riff), criminally overlooked and kind of brushed past in the song. He's great with the 'notey' riffs, and the drum feel is perfect.

At 6:47 in the video.

---

The Conciousness Eaters - The backing to the solo. It's also the main riff right at the start, but the swing of it at this section gets my headbanging everytime. I remember first hearing it with my headphones in and shouting 'Fuck!' when it came in, gathering the attention of woman and child on the seat in front of me. Sick.

At 3:13 in the video.

---

Revelation - I love it. It rocks, yet sings! Romeo is very underrated riff writer.

At 5:22 in the video.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score

@ 1:16

WHO ALL SEEN THE LEPRECHAUN SAY YEEAH

0:00-0:21

@ 3:12

@ 1:11

@ 0:54

That fucking dirty ass tremolo picking evilness

AirJordanStaal

Reaction score
These aren't really in any order.

I tried to limit myself to just one nevermore song here, probably could've picked just about any of them and have been happy with the choice.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
#5: Dark Tranquillity - Dry Run

#4: Agalloch - Not Unlike The Waves

#3: Disillusion - Alone I Stand In Fires

#2: In Flames - Colony

And my very favorite riff:

#1: Immortal - Antarctica

The whole song is just chocked full of awesome, heavy yet melodic riffs. Just awesome.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
I wouldn't even know where to begin.....

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I think you all know the one I mean, (2:41)

Context riff, listen to all of it before it hits and the groove works perfectly. (1:10)

Another one that is simply amazing in context. If you listen to this album in one go at a time like I do, when you hit this part, listening at loud volume, it's both intense and relieving, with a good resolve from the craziness of Immerse. (All of it.)

The best outro to my favourite album of all time. Has the best feel, a great closing riff. The way the lead comes in really adds to make it amazing. (4:10)

Just so powerful, the synth really helps it too. (0:00)

Reaction score
I don't think I could ever pick just 5, but if I did I'm sure they'd include riffs from Jerry Cantrell, Dimebag, and 80's era Hetfield. :metal:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Top Five
#1 Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
#2 Scorpions - Sails of Charon
#3 Kiss - Detroit Rock City
#4 Vandenberg - Back On My Feet
#5 Joe Satriani - The Extremist

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
So much Alice in Chains on the first page... *tear*

I love you guys...

That's really all I have to contribute to this thread. :lol:

Oh and I love every riff in that In Flams song "Jester's Dance" :agreed:

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
A whole shitload of Sabbath and hundreds of other riffs (obviously) and I don't wanna list them, so I'll just say my absolute favourite is probably the awesome, jagged simplicity of the At the Gates song 'Suicide Nation,' main riff.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
A whole shitload of Sabbath and hundreds of other riffs (obviously) and I don't wanna list them, so I'll just say my absolute favourite is probably the awesome, jagged simplicity of the At the Gates song 'Suicide Nation,' main riff.

:bowdown:

Good call, sir.

Omarfan

Reaction score
It occurs to me while perusing this thread that I don't really ever listen to anything for "riffs" so to speak, so I don't really have any. But I tried to come up with some cause I'm a whore for list threads.

I love all the riffs in this one, but especially the "time has a way of taking time" section

This one has had a massive influence on my writing on guitar and I will always love it. You get a sense of why I don't have a lot of favorite riffs when you think about how this has influenced me though. It's pretty simplistic. :lol:

Love this one. I wish this band would get back together

I've been obsessed with this riff since I was 16.

I love how absolutely crushing this one is.

But while I'm on Sabbath, a more underrated one here. Iommi has some badass solo work in this one too.

And of course I have to rep for my favorite band. The riff at the start of this is just incredible (as is the solo).

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
Everything from 4:35 on, especially the last riff.

This intro has such an awesome groove. Also great solo on this one (1:45).

4:50 makes me so moist.

Riff at 0:40 plus tapping at 1:23

DAT OUTRO (1:55)! So beautiful! :bowdown:

Also that one kicks so much ass.

PS: I know those are 6 songs, just rename the thread to "Your favorite riffs" ;).

')