Your worst album purchases?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djentliman

wants a diff name!
Reaction score
All That Remains newest was the biggest let down ever. It sucked so much ass that I didn't even bother listening to one song all the way through.

I am a HUGE As I lay Dying fan but they're newest wasn't my favorite. It had some great moments like A Greater Foundation, Wasted Words, and Unwound. My absolute favorite by them was a tie between The Powerless Rise and An Ocean Between Us.

I was into Bullet For My Valentine for a short time in 2008 and liked some of their songs but they have definitely taken a turn for the worst with Temper Temper. ugh.

I love The Devils Wears Prada but the production on 8:18 just did not cut it. I ....ing adored Dead Throne and the Zombie EP production and song wise.

I have also been a big fan of 30 Seconds to mars but the new album just didn't hit me like This Is War did.
Some bands that need more recognition,

Intervals
Humanity's Last Breath
Twelve Foot Ninja
Anup Sastry
Nibiru

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score
I still think Irreligious was one of the worst buys I ever made. I have heard Darkness & Hope and Wolfheart and didn't really dislike either of those, but Irreligious just sounded awful to me. I got it at the same time as some similar stuff like Tiamat - Wildhoney and I still like that! Something about the riffs and vocals on irreligious REALLY rubbed me wrong.

Yeah, I remember thinking Wolfheart could be the start of something good. I haven't listened to that album in 15+ years, but I still fondly remember Trebraruna and Alma Mater. It was kind of dark and a bit jaunty/fun, while being different and memorable. Hell, just thinking of those songs gives me a little head bob even now.

Irreligious felt like a dull, mopey, wet blanket. Opium is a short song, but the clean vocals seemed to drone on boringly, kind of like a drug addict. Maybe the vocalist needed to blow his nose or find someone who's natural voice was deeper and didn't need monotone-inducing dips in pitch. Raven Claws should appeal to me, but I can't remember it. Not sure about Mephisto, but I seem to remember Herr Spiegelmann being kind of jaunty/quirky...just not in a cool way. Trying to be dark and a little different can work out well. But when it fails and you're no longer immersed in the experience, it rapidly becomes farcical. Also, using a religious symbol on the cover of an album entitled Irreligious is rather interesting. If that was the hipster era, I'd think it's ironic. As it is, I just think the band was either clueless or wanted to tap into listeners' rebelliousness. :shrug:

Sorry to :poop: on one of your faves, InHiding. I'm glad you got something good out of it.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
All That Remains newest was the biggest let down ever. It sucked so much ass that I didn't even bother listening to one song all the way through.

i really dig their first 2 albums...

...the 3rd was ok, but i lost interest and didnt realize they even came out with another one :lol:

edit: haha...im way behind, i looked and they have 6 albums out now.

are any of the last 3 any good?

RevelGTR

Reaction score
The newest ATR is really strange. It honestly sounds like a pop-rock record to me.

AnavarOfficial

DeathSlamCoreMetal
Reaction score
i bought "transgression" by FF, i was young and didnt even know about the change of guitarists. The last album i had heard was demanufacture and when i saw it in the sotre i thought, cool new FF.

I paid $39.99 almost 10 years ago, still hurts

Reaction score
I bought "Overcome" - All That Remains the day it came out. My friend and I jammed it in the CD player in my truck and listened with disbelief. That was when the band (prominently Phil Labonte) changed their style. To this day, I still can't listent through an entire song on that album.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked Two Weeks off of that one but never cared to listen to anything else off of it, nor any of the albums since.

stevexc

Reaction score
I picked up an Omnium Gatherum album a while ago.

I had a major brainfart and thought it was Omnia - my guitarist had shown me a few tracks, and I thought they were folk metal and he was just showing me the folkier stuff.

Nope, they're just folk, and Omnia is not short for Omnium Gatherum.

I mostly don't listen to the CD out of shame, it's really not too bad. Kinda generic.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I think st anger goes on a few peoples lists, but I figured that was a given. I remember one that I was particularly upset with was third eye blind "blue". So when I was like 13 or 14 when it came out I remember waiting impatiently for it to come out. I saved a bit of cash to get it, and I was stoked because I was thinking it was going to be better than the last album (which I thought was amazing), and then I got the cd. I listened to it all the way through thinking I was going to find a song I really liked. That never happened.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
I got Tomorrow We Die Alive by Born of Osiris thinking it wouldn't be too bad. Listened to it a couple of times and nothing stood out. It was just super generic chugs with some keyboards. I still can't remember any of the songs off that album hahaha Oh well guess it just wasn't for me

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I bought "Overcome" - All That Remains the day it came out. My friend and I jammed it in the CD player in my truck and listened with disbelief. That was when the band (prominently Phil Labonte) changed their style. To this day, I still can't listent through an entire song on that album.

that one may have had a couple decent songs on it...

...i just cant remember :lol:

AnavarOfficial

DeathSlamCoreMetal
Reaction score

I dont mind that song "chiron", other than that i couldnt name another track

man jerk

Reaction score
As a kid, I bought a record by this band called "Slave Raider." :scratch:

Yeah, it was really, REALLY bad... :nuts:

Slave Raider actually had a pretty big following in the Mpls/St Paul area in the late 80's early 90's. The lead singer, Chainsaw something was actually a pretty decent front man and if they had been around just 2 or 3 years earlier they probably would have really done something.

My boss is a HUGE Slave Raider fan. He actually tracked the chainsaw dude down and called him on the phone trying to find out where he could buy an album but they guy couldn't help him. I was actually able to track down a copy for him from someplace.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
I haven't really regretted too much of the catalogue but I know there've been quite a few along the way. I've been buying albums ritualistically since late elementary so I can't remember many I might not have liked after purchasing them.

I can remember a few recent ones though:

The last Red Fang record, Wales & Leeches. I'll admit I jammed to it for a while, like a few weeks and then I don't know but I just couldn't vibe with that sound anymore after that. I always kinda felt like the production was inconsistent from song to song, oddly enough. I guess I just sort of got bored of it. loved the cover though!

---------

Also (and I know I'll get hate) the latest BTBAM record seriously disappointed me. I had high hopes since I really liked The Parallax I EP and yet The Parallax II didn't turn out to be what I was expecting based off of that EP. It had some familiar themes and riffs off the EP that I enjoyed, but I just couldn't get into it as much. I still spin the EP a hell of a lot more often than I'll find myself listening to a track off PII.

stevexc

Reaction score
Also (and I know I'll get hate) the latest BTBAM record seriously disappointed me. I had high hopes since I really liked The Parallax I EP and yet The Parallax II didn't turn out to be what I was expecting based off of that EP. It had some familiar themes and riffs off the EP that I enjoyed, but I just couldn't get into it as much. I still spin the EP a hell of a lot more often than I'll find myself listening to a track off PII.

I'm with you. I can't say that it was a BAD album, it just... didn't do a lot for me. There were a few moments that stand out but not enough... not as much as Great Misdirect, and definitely nowhere NEAR as much as Colors.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Funny that you mentioned that one, because Colors was one that I originally seriously regretted buying. It was my first BTBAM exposure and I'd bought it because a friend of mine told me they were great. Upon first listen, however, my feeble mind couldn't comprehend it. It was ahead of my taste at the time, since my favorite bands were all old school Thrash Metal and Death Metal bands. Years later I gave it another go maybe 3 years ago and I loved it. There are a lot of bands like that I guess.

If any of you have ever heard of a band called White Suns and have checked out their latest album 'Totem', that's a band that I just don't understand right now, but I have a weird feeling I'm gonna somehow dig it in the future.

stevexc

Reaction score
Colors is an extremely dense album that can be very difficult to make sense of if you're not expecting it. I had listened to Alaska about a majillion times before I picked up Colors, and I still had to actually sit down and (attempt to) learn to play Colors before it really made any musical sense. That coupled with the huge genre shifts (or out-of-genre sidesteps to say the least) make it confusing at first, no doubt. And this is coming from a guy who loves Mr Bungle, haha.

TL;DR what makes it good also makes in somewhat less accessible

')