You're thoughts? Headless Bass Design

• Thread starter Superwoodle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
I need a 6 String bass and I figured why not make one?

HeadlessBass.jpg

HeadlessBass2.jpg

HeadlessBass3.jpg

Input? Hows it look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Why specify one input but no output? *laugh*

If you do an image search on "headless bass" in any internet search engine, you'll notice that the bottom of the body where the tuners reside is recesed, so that the tuners don't protrude. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for me if I continually bumped the tuner's edge against something, even just my clothes, and turned it because it was the first available edge to make contact. You might want to reconsider this aspect.

It looks like you're using a Bass Bar pickup. If you're going for fanned frets, you might consider angling the pickup as well. I'd also probably go for two pickups, but that's personal preference. I just like having different options.

Looks good!

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I've been thinking about your design, and something occurred to me. Why not mirror the clean lines at the bottom at the top?

w440_22392_48574.jpg

You could even emphasize the unity of the curving portions through a graduated paint job.

7650__580xfloat=none_Rickenbacker_360-12_1964-Reissue.jpg

And, of course, you don't have to worry about a heel joint being bulky. There are lots of bass guitars which extend the neck further into the body, leaving the neck more free. For example, if you look at this picture closely, you'll see that the joint where the neck goes all the way down to the pickup.

55U-3990_body-front.jpg

Just some thoughts!

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
I think that looks badass. I've drawn some shapes like that a few times and have always wanted to build something like it. I say do it. It is sexy!

The only thing I would do differently is bring the bridges up in towards the body more so I can use that bottom contour to sit classical position. You could always make a recess in the body so you could still access the tuners. This way your leg won't bump into them. I'm not a bass player though, so I'm thinking of this from a guitar scale perspective. It might be a little harder with the longer scale.

Are you planning on making the hardware?

Superwoodle

Chris Woodle
Reaction score
Thanks for all the critique!
It looks like you're using a Bass Bar pickup. If you're going for fanned frets, you might consider angling the pickup as well. I'd also probably go for two pickups, but that's personal preference. I just like having different options.

Looks good!
I'm undecided. If I use one, I will keep it straight, If two I will fan them.

And, of course, you don't have to worry about a heel joint being bulky. There are lots of bass guitars which extend the neck further into the body, leaving the neck more free. For example, if you look at this picture closely, you'll see that the joint where the neck goes all the way down to the pickup.

YES:hbang:

Are you planning on making the hardware?
Yup

I'll make some cardboard mock-ups and play with the classical position. I don't usually play in classical position on the bass, but it may be more practical with a guitar version, which I'm still working on.

I'm still having trouble finding a good place to put the jack. I looked up locking jacks and I may try one of those, but if I put it where it is shown in the drawings, it would interfere with the possibility of playing in classical position.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
As Explorer said earlier, move the tuners into the body more. Nothing would be more frustrating than a bunch of little metal things being jammed into your leg all the time.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks cool I would not recess the output though, then again I am a guy using right angle plugs (recessed outputs are annoying, consequently)

')