Youtube has become almost unwatchable with too many advertisements interupting content

• Thread starter ShredmasterD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
these aren't popups. its a thread because its a problem
The AdBlocker I use on my PC blocks pretty much all adverts...not only pop-ups. Blocking YouTube adverts is my favourite feature of it.

Last time I checked, there was still no AdBlocker for Android that blocks YouTube adverts in the YouTube app. The rare occasion that I open a YouTube link on my phone is the only reason I haven't forgotten the adverts exist, because I haven't seen one on PC for well over a decade.
I believe you can get around this be viewing YouTube videos in a browser on Android / iOS, rather than the YouTube app, but that is a bit clunky.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The AdBlocker I use on my PC blocks pretty much all adverts...not only pop-ups. Blocking YouTube adverts is my favourite feature of it.

Last time I checked, there was still no AdBlocker for Android that blocks YouTube adverts. The rare occasion that I open a YouTube link on my phone is the only reason I haven't forgotten the adverts exist, because I haven't seen one on PC for well over a decade.
I don't see youtube on my android phone, but my wife does and she uses the Brave browser as an "interface" platform. It works, you can see youtube on android through the Brave app without adds...

Wynseun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I watch YouTube through my XBox so I can't even install an ad-blocker. It's gotten to a point where I feel myself getting hella angry (think throw controller) when the same freakin 20s un-skipable ad I've seen 1000 times comes on.
I seriously wonder if it doesn't hurt brands when they're products elicit such a response in customers.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Some ad blockers will block Youtube ads. I use Adblocker Ultimate on Firefox and only have to worry about in-video shilling.
There's a plugin for that too. I forget what it's called but it'll automatically skip sponsored segments within videos. I think users report the timestamps and it stores them in some central database.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I watch YouTube absolutely constantly so the monthly fee is worth it for me. The blockers don't work on Chromecast as far as I know which is mostly how I watch.

Buuuuut I'm also grandfathered in from google play music years and years ago so I somehow still pay less than fifteen a month. Don't tell Google.

Demiurge

Reaction score
There's a plugin for that too. I forget what it's called but it'll automatically skip sponsored segments within videos. I think users report the timestamps and it stores them in some central database.
Wow- that's thorough! Some channels will actually index their ads which makes them easy to skip, or sometimes, I'll just hover the mouse over the timeline and go by the visual cues. I mean, I really don't mind those as much- at least the creator chooses their sponsor; otherwise there's just random bullshit ads spliced-in for god-knows-what for which the creator gets 79 cents per 10M views or whatever.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
If I'm at my PC, I'll just tap the "L" key a couple of times to skip forward in 10 second increments.

Last edited:

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

It's called SponsorBlock. If you have Android, it is an option in Youtube-Revanced.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I watch YouTube more than Netflix or Prime and definitely more than I was using Hulu, so I cancelled Hulu and got YouTube Premium. Even when I’m in my studio I keep YouTube on in the background with interviews of history documentaries, t’s worth it, especially in place of fuckin’ Hulu.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Out of principle, I'm not dropping $180 a year on utoob. And... what's up with the super shitty low budget ads? An AI wrote the scipt and did graphics, "drink cold water before bed to cure goiters" or something. There are tons of these now. The last week has all been "is it too hard to poop?". WTF?

Like most internet things, it's just less fun now. I play more guitar these days, yay.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Agreed with the OP.

I have a few favorite streamers where the ads are enough to deal with the content, and I know these guys want to make $ and it’s the only reason these videos exist so I’ll deal with it.

That being said if I go to watch a 21 min vid and 11 of those mins are ads or YT surveys those guys will lose me real quick.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I just use Adblock Plus on Chrome (desktop). I haven’t seen an ad in years, Youtube’s ads included.

Or you can use Brave / Firefox / Opera. Those have ad blockers included by default plus several privacy related enhancements compared to Chrome.

Brave and Firefox are very good on Android and iOS, and block most ads, but not YouTube’s (not sure about Brave, but Firefox won’t block them). That is if you use YouTube on your browser, of course. You can try one of the suggestions above for that.

You can block ads on mobile devices at a system / global level (no apps will ever show ads) using some VPNs and / or some apps that will do that for you, but it never annoyed me so much as to experiment with that kind of thing.

Anyway, it’s pretty easy to block ads on desktop and a little more involved on mobile, but achievable.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I had a 6 month trial for YouTube premium that I'm juuuuust about done with and now I don't know if I can live without it...

')