ZAKK WYLDE Launches his own brand

Zado

Reaction score
12645230_904201093009214_3954294812802223021_n.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
I like those finishes, except the flamed maple one. That's really the only thing I like about them. Those huge block inlays seem to look better from further away but other than that it just plays so damn safe. I would love to see these finishes on something that marries LP-style shape with something other than the usual dual humbuckers and TOM bridge setup. Now all we got is a LP clone with a bad shape and interesting body finish.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I was critical of this whole venture before, but between those 3 interviews Tone King did with Zakk and Co, I have a lot more faith in what he's doing now. It's clear that all of this is still a work in progress, and that he wants to do things 'right' and will continue to improve stuff until the guitars (and whatever else he puts out down the line) is at an acceptable level of polish. The announcement of a custom shop and high-end models down the line is also welcome news.

Sounds like the amps are off the table for the time being, and that these first three shapes are a bit of a 'test the waters' kind of thing. In other words they still don't have a solid idea on what it is they want to do. That press conference really sheds some light on how hilariously early they announced all this last year...it almost sounds like Zakk pretty much phoned up his sponsors and told them he was leaving at the same time he was on the phone with his manager, announcing the launch of his own brand the same day. That would explain why he was showing off very early prototype guitars and amps before things were even remotely finished, which probably made his team a little uneasy. And I'm sure the story about the kids in the airport was true too: I guess after signing however many Les Pauls over the years, it finally dawned on him that he'd get a bigger chunk of the money if he started selling the guitars as well. It also shows he knows his market; put out the kid's models first, then worry about the rest later. Early interest will naturally focus on his personality and reputation, so fans of his will be the first adopters.

Anyway, I'm still not a huge fan of the shapes (except for the V), at least not as they stand right now, but I'll reserve judgment until the company progresses further. It's very clear that Zakk just jumped the gun on this announcement even though he had good intentions. However, for his brand's sake it probably would have been wiser to take these initial stumbles behind closed doors...

Vrollin

Reaction score
In my mind, if you asked a young child to draw some guitars, these are the designs you'll get. They know what they're trying to get at, but just falling short of nailing an old design or adding in some "cool" design aspects like a crazy pointy horn....

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
If my taxes come back as nice as I hope I'll look into a melted Les Paul. and maybe switch out the pickups, or at least swap positions, I'd assume it's an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck stock.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know, those goofy Les Pauls aren't that terrible now that real pictures are surfacing. They would never be my first choice for an LP, but I've seen much much worse. :2c:

Bdtunn

Reaction score
Fix that lower horn and I'm sure more would sell.
I know it's Zakks design but someone has to step in.
Saw a matte black with a gloss black bullseye that looked actually really nice.
But then that lower horn came into play......

cip 123

Reaction score
I'm guessing that means they'll be using the same distributor as well? They can kiss any sales in Europe goodbye then. Schecters are not an attractive option here, they're way too pricey because of the ridiculous distributor upcharge.

In the UK Schecter are some of the best value for money. The prices are great here. Though still don't know who'd buy one of these things...I'll take a Schecter.

A-Branger

Reaction score

I still cant figure it out how he can play with the toggle switch on such an awful position.

its the less ergonomic and most far away location he could found apart of putting it on the headstock lol.

Seriously how he doesnt knock it off with his elbow/arm??, specially him coming from a LP preference, its the complete opposite:nuts:

EDIT, on a second though, if he plays standing up with the guitar really low and tilted up, then the togle kinda lands on a more reachable position as he only needs to let his hand down. But for the rest of ppl who doesnt play with the guitar on their knees its just stupid

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Yeah, the V is pretty slick.

Like Max said, the Les Paul shape isn't terrible, but it's such an iconic design it's hard to do much with it without it looking off. At NAMM Zakk said the lower horn was supposed to be designed after a viking horn, which is kind of a neat idea and goes with the Norse theme he's going for, but I just don't see it. The resemblance is there if you know what to look for, but it really just looks bad without context. As for the spike on the bottom, it's not hideous but definitely impractical.

The rest of the shape pretty much looks like a Les Paul though. I wonder if they made the horn and the spike so 'flourish-y' so that they could get away with ripping of the Les Paul shape a little more. It's certainly a shape Zakk is used to, so I'm sure he didn't want to change too much about it. And anyway, he claims to still be on terms with Gibson, so he gets away with more than most already, I'd assume.

')