ZOMG THE CAPS LOCKS

• Thread starter RGgenius
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RGgenius

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a Agile Septor Elite 827 w/ black-outs & black flamed finish. 27" neck(neck through design). I picked it up for $800.00 off craigslist. I've heard mixed things about these guitars. Currently I am dealing with some fret buzzing around & past the 12th fret. Was thinking about selling it cos' I can't get my money back or possibly getting it dressed and set-up. Also the strings currently on the guitar are pretty loose. The guitar's tuned to Drop E. I was thinking maybe the strings need to be thicker...I picked up the guitar a few days ago and I am new to 8 string guitars. Any idea(s) or info could help. I'm wondering if this guitar is worth the money it'd cost to have work done and if selling isn't a wise choice. I don't know Agile guitars I've just seen some and heard some here and there on youtube and stuff you know? so I really know nothing about them(except they look nice). I don't know what I have here though...is it a lemon? or is it a beast?:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoMod

Reformed misanthrope
Reaction score
Sounds like a little backbow in the neck maybe? I dunno, stock strings are pretty light and the lack of tension you have in drop E may be causing the truss rod to over compensate the string tension and pull the neck, which kinda makes sense if you are getting buzz beyond the 12th...

First thing would be to get appropriate strings for the tuning you are in then check the neck relief and/or get a professional setup (if you don't know how to go about checking the neck/intonation etc yourself)...good luck!

WaffleTheEpic

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, if you don't wanna mess with it, get the neck looked at and get some heavier gauge strings on there. It's probably the same gauge that came on there stock, which are too light for anything other than standard, really.

tedtan

Reaction score
In this case it sounds like you either have a high fret(s) somewhere up above the 12th fret or you need to raise the action. I doubt the truss rod will fix this, as it mainly affects the area below the 9th or 10th fret. If it were the truss rod you would notice the notes starting to fret out and buzz when playing in the 5-8 fret area.

Having said that, any guitar worth buying is worth having set up properly, otherwise it isn't as playable as it should be - kind of like a car with bad plugs and break pads and a clogged fuel filter. If you can fix it yourself, great, but if not pay someone else to do it. Its definitely worth it.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Not to burst your bubble......but those are $850 brand new. Maybe the thing just needs a proper setup, but I wouldn't be keen on investing money on a used guitar I spent that much money on.

RGgenius

Reaction score
Hey, that's why I posted the price. Cos' I don't think it's worth it. I feel like i got ripped off.

WaffleTheEpic

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely should've bumped him down another hundred or hundred and fifty, now that I'm reading the post.

Still, since you own it and would only be losing money if you sold it, may as well take it and get it professionally set up. :2c:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
If you're happy with the guitar, then the price is somewhat irrelevant. Unfortunately, it sounds like you aren't thrilled with it. I don't blame the seller for trying to recoup as much money as possible. I rarely buy anything I'm not totally familiar with on sites like Craigslist.

Since the guitar is yours now, I'd recommend getting it to a tech. Maybe new strings and a simple setup will make it play like butter.

RGgenius

Reaction score
Hey, well thanks guys. And yes, I maybe, should've talked him down some I realized myself too. You're very wise people of the forum. I like what you said Larrikin666. Will put it to use when browsing CL next time.

RGgenius

Reaction score
The guitar's super nice and in great condition. I'm just on the fence about putting money into when I bought it for almost top dollar. I do like the guitar for the most part. It play's nice, looks nice, sounds nice. The neck is fast and smooth. The issues with it though got me going rampant. I'm a noob to the 8's

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Yeah. It's important to note that you can find LOTS of threads with people buying brand new Agiles all the time that end up going straight to a tech. It's normal. If you find someone who's great, then maybe they will be willing to teach you some of the basics to allow you to maintain guitars yourself.

tedtan

Reaction score
RGgenius, every guitar needs a proper set up. It would be nice if they came that way, but sometimes they don't. Don't think of paying the extra money for a set up as paying too much or throwing good money after bad. It's not like that. It's more like with these examples:

If you buy a used car it would be nice if it came with a tune up and a new set of tires, but sometimes they don't, and if it needs it you pay the extra maintence costs to keep it running right.

If you buy a house, it would be nice if had a new fence and new roof, but if needs them and doesn't have them, you spend the extra money on maintenance costs to keep the roof over your head (no pun intended).

That's what a set up is on a guitar - extra maintenance to keep it running at its potential. Learning to do it yourself will save you money over the years, but no one is born knowing how to do it, so don't hesitate to take it to someone for a setup.

And my earlier guess at the new thread title was wrong - it's now ZOMG THE CAPS LOCKS. :D