Harley Benton does it again...

• Thread starter Zhysick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
They round the fret ends before install, but they didn't measure everything out just right so you wind up getting slightly smaller frets because they took too much material off when rounding and instead of doing it over just went with it.
Yes, exactly. I have seen Eart guitars like that, which are also chinese like this, and Ibanez (Arcore and Premium series) which were rounded but perfectly reaching the edge of the fretboard. It is a shame but cheap is cheap.

The Babicz trem, although high quality is taking a lot of heat. It appears that, because of the way strings come out of the saddles, it is almost impossible to palm mute.

Nqh, I would call that BS. I imagine some people might have to adjust but I was jot even thinking about it and I started palm mutting right away, zero issues. I changed my playing position (sitting classical, sitting on right leg, standing difeerent heights...) and could not find any issie to palm mute.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Zhysick are you sure that they are Chinese? There is just some barcode, but i assumed automatically that they are Indonesian Cort, like the Fusion's.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Frets are very small, not even medium, more like vintage.

Neck shape is... Weird. Kinda fat and big but at the same time it "forces" you to olay relaxed.
Do yourself a favor. Return it and get a Mexican Charvel. Best playing guitars you can get under $1k right now.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Return it and get a Mexican Charvel. Best playing guitars you can get under $1k right now.
That was exactly my plan, to get the Charvel, and I will probably do it. I will give it some play time today and see... Before going to bed I was feeling it was not that bad the neck, still the lack of flame and the fret ends are bothering me so I should send it back anyways.

And I am not sure it is chinese, I did not check the headstock to see what did it say but fret ends look like those Eart guitars. Will check today.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That actually explains a lot if you've seen some of ESP's recently made guitars, which are second to a lot in my experience.
PRS used to look like ESP until their volumes went up. I have a suspicion Jackson still looks like this. :lol:

Moongrum

Reaction score
A bunch of ragged half homeless people, everywhere total mess, sawdust, tools in total dissaray.
That's kind of mean, they looked like normal people just trying to do their job 😅
Does anyone know where ESPs factory is in that video? I imagine buying a massive warehouse like PRS has is a lot more difficult in Japan (especially Tokyo) than it is in the USA. We have no shortage of space here.
Also, unrelated, with how much is automated nowadays, it's kind of crazy how much hand sanding there is in building a guitar. Sanding is literally the worst shit ever imo lol, I'd want to automate that first.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Not any better or worse than the workers making guitars for your favourite brands.

Factories are the same, people are the same, tooling and equipment is the same. The only difference is the amount of extra time or care they spend on any particular brand, specific materials, etc. And more than likely, the extra price you pay has nothing to do to with the factory at all.

I worked at a factory for a few years. Expensive stuff only meant to put extra care on not screwing up (since the losses for the factory were big if the orders came out bad). Otherwise the boss would be angry at you. That was it. If you think workers get somewhat paid better when working on orders from bigger companies, then it was indeed a very naive question.

Factory work is probably miserable in pretty much any country. Unless you're thinking about something like a small luthier woodshop with "office" opening hours, there's nothing glamurous about working on a guitar factory.

Whaaaat? You mean you don't want the privilege of running a buffer all day for $18/hr @ the legendary Fender CA factory?

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
All i'm gonna say is that my Harley Benton pro series is probably my favorite guitar second only to my Les Paul custom, they are a really amazing value. The only thing I changed were the pickups and did a little fret dressing.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
8trd7f.jpg

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hope that Charvel Mexico has nothing to do with Fender Player Mexico quality. You are saying: "go with Charvel, it's only 2 times more expensive". Well Ibanez AZ is only 2 times more expensive than the Charvel, so go with Ibanez. Anyways I wouldn't give up on HB so easy, they are trying hard, and often succeed actually.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I hope that Charvel Mexico has nothing to do with Fender Player Mexico quality. You are saying: "go with Charvel, it's only 2 times more expensive". Well Ibanez AZ is only 2 times more expensive than the Charvel, so go with Ibanez. Anyways I wouldn't give up on HB so easy, they are trying hard, and often succeed actually.
My SC550II was so good that I had to sell it because moving outside the country and I ended up buying another one a year later and yes, this second one is also great.

At first I had a very strong rejection for this HB but it is growing on me. I don't feel stressed anymore while playing and while I still don't like the small frets, I find no issues playing it so... A one week trial period has started 🤣

CrystalSky

Reaction score
The "roasting" is probably the same variety as most of the stuff in this price range: more of a coloring process than anything else.
Is it me or roasted wood went from stigma to premium in like several years’ time?

I remember when I was preparing to order my custom guitar back in 2013 kiln dried wood would be shat on by literally everyone.

And now marketing turned cost and time cutting practice into ToNaLly EnHanCEd woOD 😂

Zhysick

Reaction score
I tried, I swear I tried. The neck feels comfortable after playing for a while, the bridge is good and the sound is great but... As soon as I decided I was keeping the guitar and started messing with the setup, I lowered a bit the action and... Several frets are uneven.

At least 4 frets, almoat completely, for 5 or 6 strings, too low. Rattling noiaes everywhere on the fretboard.

My other two SC550II where great, still not perfect (you don't expect perfection on a 300€ guitar) but really goosz low action, no fret buzz, but this is something else.

So, with that, the frets not reaching the fretboard ends, the rolled edges not being really rolled... To many little things and one big thing.

Is going back, already aked for the full refund.

It is sad because is beautiful, light, feels good on the body, bery resonant ,smooth neck, etc etc etc but not really playable.

Yep, nothing surprising. If you pack too many specs then you are cutting corners on QC. Funny this is the first HB guitar that comes with a Quality Service card or something like that 🤣

I thought of getting a Fusion III with the money since I want a superstrat, or maybe using a bit more money and getting the Charvel DK24 I was originally going to buy, but I don't want anything new at the moment, I kinda need to make up my mind again, ao I will buy some pickupa for my old LTD EX100 which plays lovely and is still my "reference" guitar and wait until I feel the need of getting the superstrat again.

')